PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• butterfly2507
    Options
    We went shopping yesterday and it came down to 14,96 €!! I'm so pleased with this since we were able to pay with some "saved" money from our store card. I love it when I get bonus points :)
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,771 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you everyone for this thread. Well....I spent all of my August budget. If it didn't go on food it went towards our summer holiday outings. Ds is back in school on Tuesday and I've already bought all his stationery, uniform etc so I'm hoping for better results this month. He will be taking a packed lunch but I find that fairly cheap and easy to make.

Can I be put down for £280 this month please? That's for our food, cat food and cat litter.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    I did a mahoosive shop on Friday, buying meat on offer for the freezer, laundry detergent on offer, wet wipes (on offer), cheese, tins of chick peas, frozen stuff like chips, plus all the regular fruit, veg and dairy. I have had to do a complete freezer shuffle (Tetris Master) and stock-take. I was't wrong, I only had mince (in small bags) and frozen fish left but all the garden produce on freezing trays meant I could not see. I am about to write up the freezer stocktake from this morning and hoping I only need fresh stuff for the rest of the month. Although I only used £88 out of my average £200 in August, I had been slightly over for the preceding three months so I needed that to reset to my annual budget.

I know my stock-piling tendencies are thereabouts so will be v cautious now.

I can't help on a regular purchase of smoked salmon as we used to get trimmings for pate or YS for a treat and occasionally a side if it was on offer. I would worry about it becoming routine rather than a luxury treat if it was a regular in my basket though!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • dangerbadger
    Options
    Can I be put down for £200 again this month, please. That's for three people and one dog.

First shop just done, so am stocked up on veg for the week and currently at £16.32
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, just had my first tesco delivery of the month and only spent £41.50 on mainly fresh fruit and fridge food. I also stocked up on loo rolls to take the spend over the minimum which is £40.

Tesco are selling a kilo box of plums for only £2 if anyone is interested. The ones I got look lovely and fresh. They will be gone in no time but I should have bought another box of them to make some chutney with.

Trying to use up my freezer stuff is going to take a while. We are having stew today due to the miserable weather but all that has come out of the freezer is a 400g pack of diced beef, and we will probably end up trying to squeeze in the leftover stew later on.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What is wrong with me today - my finger has literally been hanging over the button on a Morrison's home shopping order. I only wanted to stock up on their beans, kidney, butter, etc, but you have to do a £40 shop, so merrily I am adding everything in sight - gone way past £40, don't need most of it. Lost my slot. Phew. If only most things in my life were this trivial. Anyways, happened to wander in2 M&S when they were reducing - got quite a bit, including a couple of trays of sweet potato chips, bread & rolls for 20p, lots of fruit. Came to £3.58. Need to get a few ingredients and batch cook what I have, as the freezer is (thankfully) gradually emptying.
  • purpleybat
    Options
    i forgot to mention the other day when i posted i'd also done my 1st shop of the month of £18.54, I have tho picked a few bits of forgotten stuff up tho which came to about £6.
    needing to keep food bills at a minimum this month (the easiest to control) cos not only do I have loads of insurance renewals etc coming up but I plan on paying off my once HUGE debt on Tuesday :D
  • peedie
    peedie Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    Can I join please. I know I an a little late but have been 'puterless for the last week.
    This is the first time I have done this and set my self a budget so have set it perhaps a little high, but thought it best to over estimate than fail first time
    So I have a budget of£250 thats for me and 2 cats

My month runs from the 27th and nothing bought so far as I'm trying to eat out of the freezer and cupboards. Later in the month it might cause some interesting meals :o
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    Can we be back in please?

£400 for family of 4 including all food, drinks, toiletries, cleaning items. 2nd to 30th. Would aim for less but we have 3 special birthday meals to cater for which are all for us plus 3-4 guests.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £59.73 / £230 with enough to keep us going for a while. Meal plans done for the week ahead. Realising the real difference they make after 'holidaying' from them in August.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure