Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary

Options

Comments

• LavenderBee
    Options
    Hi Missy

Sounds like you're doing great, I've read about half your diary before I wanted to stop and ask you a question that you sound well qualified to answer!

How do you make your jam please? :) I used to make loads from whatever I was gifted from gardens, hedgerows etc, but I cheated and did it all in an empty Celebrations tub (perfect size) in the microwave. I've now lost the recipe, don't have a Celebrations tub and don't want an excuse to buy a full tub and empty it manually! I'm trying to accrue some savings so I don't want to spend out on fancy equipment if there's a "saucepan and wooden spoon" method that works for you, with ordinary jam? (I used to buy the Tate and Lyle special stuff)

Oh and I bought Aldi's super6 celery this week, I'm going to pre-dice and bung it in the freezer, then put into pretty much anything savoury(!) to up the flavour. The best thing about the weather turning colder is that cheap-chuck-anything-past-its-best stews/soups feel like a comforting luxury!

Happy Friday :)
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey HappyLassie13! Thanks for popping over, I went a bit pink cheeked when you said I was inspiring! Thank you!! I think I used to just buy the same things every week and have a vague meal plan, which I never stuck to then I had cupboards full of ingredients that didn't make meals so I'd buy more stuff. So this is just shopping from home and only buying week by week or even day by day the things we actually need and will use!

Hey LavenderBee, lovely name! Lol I wouldn't say qualified lol! I do make jam, in a pan and with a trusty wooden spoon. I follow a high fernley wotsit recipe, I'll see if I can find it, I have his jam book. I used to use the special sugar, but found with some things it almost set them too hard. I usually add in some finely chopped Apple to jam to add in some pectin to make it set. Sometimes my jam doesn't quite set but we still use it, spooned into porrisge or it's just thick enough to spoon onto toast and spread.

Will find the recipe.

Have been to a McMillan coffee morning, and I have just put some washing on, apart from the usual school run and reading and work out nothing much else has got done!
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Might be a bit early for blood oranges yet, have seen them in MrL before, and in mrM but not this morning. If you have a local greengrocers it's worth a look as they will at least sell you just one.

You always make me feel better about my banana purchases - we need a minimum of 13 for packed lunches. Paid £1.08 for 10 medium loose ones in MrM today
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Might be a bit early for blood oranges yet, have seen them in MrL before, and in mrM but not this morning. If you have a local greengrocers it's worth a look as they will at least sell you just one.

You always make me feel better about my banana purchases - we need a minimum of 13 for packed lunches. Paid £1.08 for 10 medium loose ones in MrM today

Ah thanks redo! It didn't cross my mind that they'd be seasonal! I just thought you could buy them all year round like clementines. They may have some on the market, but not going until Monday...

We go through so many bananas. We can eat up to 6 a day so 42 a week at 13p each st aldi mounts up!! But to save money I have mine frozen from super reduced ones., as I use them in smoothies and I'm trying to get the small ones to only have 1 a day!
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Ok just thinking of budgets, trying to work out how much I can pay off my CC. Paid off £200 last month which was really nice!

Need to have a look at the cupboards to see his much flour I have. Going to try and make seitan roast too at some point over the weekend.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    December to May apparently

You must be pleased with the £200.
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Ah ok, I will get some At Christmas then! Yes I'm pleased with the £200 it's twice as much as I usually pay. Would like to pay more than that every month, but need to have a life. Will Struggle to pay that even. But I will see what i can do!
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Ok oven is on, having falafels, onion rings, chips and sausages, all things that are all in half packets in the freezer. Was going to do stir fry but I just don't fancy it! Right need to hang up washing.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Have a lovely evening missy x
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Thanks hidden. Well uniforms are washed and drying, dinner had been cooked and eaten and I'm just watching cartoons with Roo. May fell asleep on the sofa so I've put her to bed. When roo goes to bed at 7, it's a Cuppa, chocolate and early bed with my new Jamie Oliver book for me. (I love Amazon vouchers!) have locked all the doors and closed all the curtains ready for snuggling down. What a way to spend a Friday night hey!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure