Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I am also on the BG collective with British Gas until 3rd Oct, I have used the CEC and a number of smaller companies show up followed by Ovo and EDF saving about £150 does anyone have a specific preference or is it entirely taking a risk going with the smaller companies.?

Separately we also have home care one boiler cover with British Gas is this likely to cause me problems switching or is it simply a separate contract?

Thanks for any advice.
    There is a 2 year EDF deal that comes with boiler cover for first year. Might be worth considering??
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Separately we also have home care one boiler cover with British Gas is this likely to cause me problems switching or is it simply a separate contract?

Thanks for any advice.

No problem at all. BG will continue this on its own.

Not sure if it still applies, but years ago they gave a £15 discount on homecare if you took gas/ electric with them. I'm not sure if they still do this, but factor it in to your calculations if they do.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Options
    I switched to Ovo last night (14 September). Within one day my Ovo online account is set up and my switching date is 4 October. Impressed so far. :j
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I switched to Ovo last night (14 September). Within one day my Ovo online account is set up and my switching date is 4 October. Impressed so far. :j

Maybe reserve judgement until the time comes to switch away from Ovo. I've switch from/to several suppliers in the past and the only one to not cause any issues during my time with them was E.on. I'm not saying Ovo will mess up because I've never had the pleasure of being one of their customers, but in my experience I've found that energy companies are generally fine to switch to but an absolute pain in the proverbial when switching away.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Having just started the switching process to Ovo, I happened upon this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73133428

suggesting that ovo will pay interest on credit balances of upto 5%. Anyone aware of this?
  • silvercar
    Options
    wizk1 wrote: »
    Maybe reserve judgement until the time comes to switch away from Ovo. I've switch from/to several suppliers in the past and the only one to not cause any issues during my time with them was E.on. I'm not saying Ovo will mess up because I've never had the pleasure of being one of their customers, but in my experience I've found that energy companies are generally fine to switch to but an absolute pain in the proverbial when switching away.

Sainsbury Energy (British Gas in all but name) messed up my switch to them, I just hope they handle the switch away a bit better.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sainsbury Energy (British Gas in all but name) messed up my switch to them, I just hope they handle the switch away a bit better.

Ditto :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

suggesting that ovo will pay interest on credit balances of upto 5%. Anyone aware of this?

I would strongly recommended that a read of the contract terms and conditions is needed before switching:

13. OVO Interest Reward

13.1 The OVO Interest Reward is available only to OVO Energy Direct Debit customers. It is the interest we pay on credit balances of customers for so long as you are on supply, unless we change or withdraw it under section 13.4.
    13.2 The OVO Interest Reward is calculated based on:
    (a) the yearly rate, depending on how long you’ve been with us, as set out in our Energy Charges list; and
    (b) the remaining credit in your account each month after all charges that month have been paid for. The remaining amount is pro-rated for the number of days in that month.
    13.3 We’ll calculate the OVO Interest Reward whenever we produce your bill and will automatically credit it to your account. However, if we issue a new or revised bill (e.g. after you’ve submitted an updated meter reading) we can’t add the OVO Interest Reward for any credit that might result from the new bill.
    13.4 We can change any aspect of the OVO Interest Reward (including its rate and how it's calculated), or stop or withdraw offering it entirely, at any time.
    13.5 The maximum credit balance on which you can earn the OVO Interest Reward is stated in our Energy Charges list.
    13.6 You must not make payments into your account just to receive the OVO Interest Reward. If we think you're doing this, we'll refund the extra amounts to you and we may withhold payment of the OVO Interest Reward on those amounts.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Ditto.

Just noticed that this morning SE have increased my DD by 85%, no doubt anticipating me remaining with them - and so transferring to Standard rate.

They can whistle for that :rotfl:
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options

Yes... been withem before - it does happen :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure