PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :( sucks , this is why i am VERY happy we are buying a property that is vacant as we are very aware of the amount of work we need to do.

Do you have a plan for it Mutley ? As in what are you planning to do with it ?

had a damp proofing chap in from checked and vetted today. he said not much can be done about the damp except add a second partition against the outer wall. I will raise it with the surveyor and solicitor although doubt much will happen, but really the surveyor should have picked this up. Since the house has been empty noticed so many faults and imperfections, i guess its one of those things :undecided
    My biggest learning tip, despite my numerous viewings - do more. And when vendor refuses to accept more than 2 visits from tradesmen for work - ignore them and push to get thorough surveys and quotes.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Congratulations to Gawatate, mutley74 and Alicia85 :T

Well, we completed on our sale yesterday and are currently camping out somewhere not a million miles away ;)

Today we went in search of a new vehicle and had success.....yay! (although it won't be ready for collection till Wednesday, but it goes some way to making up for not yet having our onward purchase tied up :o)

We're also (hopefully) buying somewhere with land and I can't wait to get to work sorting it out into specific areas. On Tuesday we meet up with the borehole co on site and will also be checking out the perimeter stock fencing to see how much requires replacement. Meanwhile the current state of the house is terrible, so our worldly goods will remain in storage for the foreseeable future whilst we get to work on the restoration. It's very old but not listed, as always though we'll be restoring sympathethically and attempting to put back the character that has previously been removed.......assuming our first attempt at buying a repo goes according to plan, lol!

This time our removals were/will be DIY, however our last move we paid around £3500, but that was long distance........but not the most we've paid either......I guess we must have way more stuff than most, lol!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Forgot to add our timelines......

Selling -

5/9/17 Our house on market
    13/10/17 Accepted offer from buyers not selling their own house
    14/11/17 Buyers' mortgage valuation carried out
    20/11/17 Surveyor's report requested structual, electrical and damp/timber reports
    20/12/17 Buyers mortgage offer received
    3/1/18 Exchanged contracts
    26/1/18 Completed!

Buying -

21/10/17 Offered on vacant house (House 1) that we were first to view
    22/10/17 Offer rejected, increased slightly, but again rejected
    2/11/17 Put guide price offer in on probate house (House 2)
    6/11/17 Informed by EA that vendors had increased guide price by £35k
    6/11/17 Increased offer slightly. EA apparently recommended our offer be accepted
    29/11/17 Discovered House 2 was SSTC to someone else. Called EA to complain that we'd never been notified that our offer was rejected. They encouraged us to up our offer to secure!
    30/11/17 Increased offer again
    4/12/17 Offer finally accepted
    6/12/17 Informed by EA that House 2 was going to best & final offers
    11/12/17 Dropped our offer slightly as completely peed off with EA. Lost House 2 in best & finals
    24/12/17 Informed by (different) EA that House 3, which we'd previously missed out on was re-available. Made offer.
    27/12/17 Offer rejected. Increased offer
    2/1/18 Told that House 3 was going to best & final offers on 3/1/18
    3/1/18 Increased offer slightly. Won best & finals - but only because we'd just exchanged on sale
    12/1/18 Discovered that house we'd wanted to buy back in Sept 17 (a repossession) was re-available! Due to lack of transport were unable to view till 19/1/18
    19/1/19 Offered on House 4, having first gone back to House 3 and realised the road was far busier than first thought
    22/1/18 Offer accepted on House 4 - although with it being a repo it will be advertised till exchange of contracts. We have 14 days to exchange, being cash buyers.
    22/1/18 Withdrew from purchase of House 3

Phew!

• Amanda_Cm
    Options
    phoebe1989seb, congrats! Wonderful news, what do you plan to plant?
    £3500 moving cost!?! Gosh that's expensive.
    We are Diy as well but the new place is just few miles away.
  • Amanda_Cm
    Options
    Oh is just the sale. This sounds like nightmare buying house experience.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Amanda_Cm wrote: »
    phoebe1989seb, congrats! Wonderful news, what do you plan to plant?
    £3500 moving cost!?! Gosh that's expensive.
    We are Diy as well but the new place is just few miles away.

Thank you!

Well, for a start we have 100+ shrubs/other things in planters, many of which will be (finally) going in the ground :D We also want to recreate the 'kitchen garden' we had at our last-but-one house. Assuming we get the repo ok, there's a walled area that might be perfect for this!

Yep, £3500 - although back in 2007 we actually paid in excess of £4k to move the contents of a six-bed house (plus very heavy hot tub, lol!) from Hants to Essex :eek:

Have been trying to edit my last post that should read "19/1/18" not 19/1/19, but am unable to do so :o

• EllezBellz
    Options
    Been rang and estate agency has arranged for us to pick up the keys at the property at 3.30 this Wednesday! eeee exciting, lets hope the exchange and completion does go hand in hand!
  • JaneyLouWho
    Options
    Started Monday off right with a friendly email to my solicitor confirming conversations with our buyers over the weekend that we’d like to exchange on the 8th and complete on the 15th. Removals provisionally booked for furniture to go into store, on the assumption that the purchase won’t be quite ready - but hoping to be surprised on that front.

Worked out this morning that we are into our 17th week since our offer was accepted on the property we are buying and we are probably another 3 or 4 weeks away from completion on that, and only at the beginning of the 6th week on the sale (second set of buyers after the previous ones dropped out) and that transaction is virtually ready to go! Just shows how variable these things can be. I’m hoping we’ve made the right decision to break the chain and that our faith in our vendor pays off.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fingers crossed EllzBellz! Are you trying to do a simultaneous exchange and completion then? Good luck!

Fingers crossed for you too JaneyLouWho.

Had another removals quote through - this one wants £1390 :eek: But they were waffling on about being a 'new niche of professional removals' and putting special fabric covers over all the doors and furniture, and hoovering both houses throughout :eek:

I was looking for something rather less fancy than that :o :rotfl:

Third lot coming this afternoon, and another one at 9am tomorrow. Normally it really annoys be getting quotes for things, but at the minute there's nothing else I can do in relation to the house, so it makes me feel like I'm doing *something* at least. Also gives me chance to try and find someone who'll do it without me having to take out another mortgage :eek: :rotfl:
  • JaneyLouWho
    Options
    Ooh fancy removal firms! Whatever next? :rotfl: We are going to hire a van and lure various friend’s husbands and my brother in law round with the promise of free beer after :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure