PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• juniordoc
    Options
    Welcome Roxannas, have you got a plan B for it you don't exchange on time? We are FTB expecting to exchange in the next 8- 14 days but don't have the balls to give notice on our rental yet.
  • Louizeg
    Louizeg Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    I've been following this thread for a few weeks now, we're about 8 weeks in and have hopefully got our completion date for the 10th November.
    We're ftb living with my parents temporarily (with 3 kids, so much stress ;) ) no chain, moving into a vacant property.
    May 11th - viewed for the first time, put in an offer but pretty much at the top of our budget and the estate agent said there was no way they'd go so low. Gave the idea of that house up.
    June/July - visited broker and got an AIP
    Fast forward to august.
    Aug 24 - house is back on the market, booked a viewing
    Aug 27 - viewed, offered.
    Aug 28 - first offer rejected, second made wayyy under asking price.
    Sept 4 - offer accepted. Solicitor instructed, broker called.
    Sept 13 - broker appointment, full AIP (didnt know the first wasn't a proper one but the broker is amazing and know what they're doing)
    Sept 18 - AIP through
    Sept 22 - full application
    Sept 28 - extra payslips requested
    Oct 2 - full offer from Santander :D
    Oct 3 - told solicitor, she said she would start searches
    Oct 4 - offer through post
    Oct 9 - phoned solicitor, searches hadnt been started, payment hadnt been taken :mad:
    Oct 18 - searches back, most enquiries back, putting date of november 10th forward because seller needs 2-3 weeks to remove some things out of the house.

This week the estate agent phoned, the seller wanted to know if we were ok with leaving some items in and where we were in the process. Worried their solicitor hasnt looked at the letter sent the week before because it contains the info they called asking about, they didn't have a clue we had put forward a date either. They've called their solicitor to tell them they agree with the date.
    We've closed our htb isa accounts and sent the letter to the solicitor. We're just waiting now, checking the post everyday waiting for letters off the solicitors :D
    I am never doing this again lol its after 2 am and I'm up on here reading through the posts
  • Ougat
    Ougat Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Checking the post and refreshing e-mails is what you do best while waiting to exchange Louizeg Always making sure your phone is charged and working. and then on weekends you sit and wonder of you will know anything more first thing Monday..

We don't know any dates yet ourselves as we are waiting for a local search to come back.. Knowing full well that not much will be in there to put us off the house.. so it is really dead time to us right now.. obviously if it comes back and it is all good we will want to exchange the next available day.. and complete the day after if that is possible..

Good luck and fingers crossed so you can exchange on your desired date ..
  • Louizeg
    Louizeg Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Our searches came back ok, we've got an unplotted sewer within the boundary of the property and its at risk of surface water flooding, I asked a neighbour and she said shes never had a problem so I'm not bothered at all.
    The solicitor is asking for them to do a gas safety check but they're selling it for a late relative so I wont blame them when they say no :D
    Hope the searches come back fast for you, we had our date mentioned the day the searches were back so hopefully you'll know more by the end of the week
  • Ougat
    Ougat Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I suppose we were lucky that our vendor had all the electrical and gas and heating certificates plus she had proof of yearly services and the last time she had it done was less than two weeks ago..

Just that ^&% local search.. it being a Sunday and nobody is busy working on our house buying attempt is rather frustrating..hehe
  • Dizzybee_2
    Options
    Im excited to join this thread. I accepted an offer on my house
    The buyers solicitor is currently doing the searches. I have had an offer accepted on the property I want to.buy so it all looks great. Any idea how long exchange will happen after searches have taken place ?
  • kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After much deliberation we've decided that we have to go with our dream house even though we don't now trust the vendor. We've already spent money on the searches and survey and the mortgage application has gone in on that address too so it will be less hassle than going with the new house. we just have to hope that she doesn't get cold feet again!

One really annoying thing is that the EA removed it from Right Move and their website when she decided she didn't want to sell and I deleted it from my favourites to stop myself comparing any new houses with it, and hubby tore up the EA property details in anger so I have no pictures or anything now :-(
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Kate, the latest pictures may be on the sold prices page on RM. I've found that some get updated with the newest info even if they are later removed from the market without selling again.
  • kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll keep an eye out, thanks! There is nothing on there at the moment as our vendor has lived there almost 40 years, so I supposed I can't understand why she's having a hard time letting go!
  • Lajawams
    Options
    Hi. Sorry to hear some of your woes and pleased to hear that so many people have reached the other side.

Looking for a bit of advice as I'm in a similar situation (FTB).

After 14 months of house viewings, offers, fall-throughs and being outbid, we found a house.

Had our offer accepted on June 1st.
    Vendor had property lined up.
    Mortgage ready and final forms being sorted.
    July 26th - vendor's purchase fell through so they found another.
    September 15th - vendor has finally agreed on new (chainfree) purchase, had surveys back, settled price and all good.

Now (5 months after our offer was accepted) and 5 weeks after the onward purchase offers/surveys were done, we're 100% ready to exchange but onward purchase is lagging behind.

Up to now, we've been told that our vendor will need to move into rental anyway while their onward purchase is renovated.

However, vendor now won't exchange until 'more progress' made on onward purchase.

Our mortgage offer expires in a month and we really don't know what to do. We like the house but it's becoming miserable just waiting with no progress.

We're living in a BnB as our rental contract ended anyway in July and we were told it should be quick so we didn't sign another rental. We would have done if only we'd been adequately informed but all the time we've been told it'll be a week or two.

Any advice? What would you do?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure