PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Packing for wintersun visit to friends in the caribbean :D. The male half of the hosting couple shares the exact birthday of my DH and they joke about being twins by another mother, one being anglo-Irish, the other Afro Caribbean! :rotfl:). I realised that a dress and 2 tops get picked up and considered for every 'hot' holiday but never get taken on the trip. So they have gone to CS this morning!
    I have packed some of my art stuff because I shall have time to indulge this hobby while over there :D

I plan on sorting some domestic admin out before I go, too. Need to find better price for broadband/phone! Also need to transfer some savings to current account to cover food and car hire.

It is so satisfying to be able to lay hands on the paperwork and find it is all in order, thanks to kM.

Kaz, what a shock about your car! Yes, it can be replaced but the insurance claim and waiting for theresolution will be a PITA. Glad you are OK :)

ETA - well done Silvasava !
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I put together a bag of clothes for the charity shop, but I'm going to wait until the end of the month to take it in. I'm trying to read 4 books this month and thought I would donate the read books I don't want with the clothes. It is a good way to force me to stick to my reading target.:) I'm going to go and read a couple chapters of one book in a minute, in fact.
    Igamogam wrote: »
    That was always the way I started the new year - a good old clear out of the filing cabinet on NYE.....this year I went to do it and guess what??? There was nothing to do cos I have been 'on it' all year and hadnt even noticed:D I guess now its just become habit to deal with it as it comes in the house...............OH on the other hand:mad::mad:

Yes, I have noticed the same thing with paperwork.:)

I agree with you about my OH too.:mad:

KM obviously hasn't rubbed off on him as much as I would like!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yeay silvasava!

Have done some more slow packing up of a few kitchen things today - and released 8 flutes (beautiful pink ones bought in France approx. 26-28years ago, but the only time we drink anything requiring flutes is usually Xmas/ NY, and then we use the crystal), 2 tall annoying lager glasses and an unused 'milk bottle with straw' thing given to DS3. All ready to take to CS (probably next week, as I'm sure I will find more things! :D)

Had a tidy of the airing cupboard, too - and released a feather duvet which everyone hates and a duvet which got melted in the TD and an unused small throw/ runner thing which came with a matching duvet set and has never been used. The only time I can see me using it is if I were staging the bedroom for pictures for selling! So it can go :) Also sorted through the odd socks in there, paired lots and kept only ones which belong to multipacks (eg: plain grey school socks) as they have a good chance of being used at some point. That meant 3 other socks have gone into fabric recycling :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some good KM going on there greenT.
    Been sorting through photos for DS1's 50th on Saturday - found a small exercise book that belonged to my grandfather. He was in a geriatric wards for about 2 years after a stroke and the book was him trying to use his left hand. He poured out his frustrations and it makes me feel so sad so it can go. I have wonderful memories of him and don't want to be reminded of how his life ended. I'm quite surprised how easy a decision it turned out to be.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Nice one with the canteen of cutlery, silvasava.

Been back at w*rk today but prepared by taking a chazzer bag with me, then on to a favoured chazzer after work. Mainly books, but some other Misc amongst them.

Spoken to the folks' and kid bruv got a couple of donation bags (more books :o) out today in the hometown and will take still more to Big Market Town, where they go most Wednesdays.

I felt a degree of overwhelm yesterday due to all the Stuff at home but I had a little tidy up after work, because it's going to take a couple of weeks to sift these things out of here, and am pretty pleased with how things look now. It's full, but tidy-full, IYSWIM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 January 2018 at 8:52PM
    Options
    Could you pop round here GQ? The back bedroom needs your touch! All the boxes for the decorations and our two trees are in there, along with suitcases from when we went away before Christmas. Plus there's 2 sets of curtains which I need to find out whether they will fit any of the rooms in our new house. I've got the window measurements, it'll be a five minute job to check, can I be ar$$ed can I heck.....

A lot will be going back in the loft but it'll probably be the weekend after next as OH is away in the week and next weekend is reserved for tax return/getting up to date with business stuff
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Could you pop round here GQ? The back bedroom needs your touch! All the boxes for the decorations and our two trees are in there, along with suitcases from when we went away before Christmas. Plus there's 2 sets of curtains which I need to find out whether they will fit any of the rooms in our new house. I've got the window measurements, it'll be a five minute job to check, can I be ar$$ed can I heck.....

A lot will be going back in the loft but it'll probably be the weekend after next as OH is away in the week and next weekend is reserved for tax return/getting up to date with business stuff
    :p Lol, I think a person needs to get her own life in order before offering to come and sort others' places out. The family homestead is an exception, my role there is a bit like yeast in bread dough, my mere prescence seems to stir things up......... :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Went through a number of old photo albums from my childhood, which are at my parent’s.

Some sadness generated and some anger on seeing pics of one person, but I found some real gold too. Removed the lovely ones for framing and the rest are off to the skip. I find that having “dealt with” emotional stuff in this process, the occasional blips are much easier to manage!

I am however being recluttered by Lego models, which my kids (& DH) have built over the holiday. Can’t win ‘em all! :rotfl:
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p Lol, I think a person needs to get her own life in order before offering to come and sort others' places out. The family homestead is an exception, my role there is a bit like yeast in bread dough, my mere prescence seems to stir things up......... :rotfl:

I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure we could all take a critical eye at others peoples crAp/treasures and hift them out without too much difficulty.

23 years ago most of my possessions fitted in the back of a medium sized car when I moved house via a ferry. Since then I've acquired a husband and between us we've filled a 4 bed house with 'stuff', by no means all of it useful or beautiful.

Perhaps we could all form some sort of rota and we'd all be living in clutterfree homes within a month!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah, Slinky, now you know that is against the MK rules!
    It would make a great TV show though!!!

It did make me think of the old adage about weeds just being flowers in the wrong place. I think clutter is just Stuff in the wrong place, surely?

Right, have to brave the weather, work beckons. As this is my last working day of January I shouldn't complain :)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport