PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mardatha, you seem no weirder than usual :D Glad the pills are helping. Given what MrsLW says I won't send you pictures of [STRIKE]Eddy[/STRIKE] er... pigs.

I'm tall, but I've never been statuesque. I've gone straight from built like miranda, to pretty lanky. I'm not sure how you get to be statuesque :rotfl: My husband and I are avid passer-downers, we're called upon regularly to pull things down in shops or put things back up. He does better than me, despite my height I have short arms

FPK, I adore your imaginings and shall be sharing them from now on). Despite having met Nursemaggie, I also always imagine her in nurses uniform!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    On behalf of short people everywhere I would like to extend my thanks to all the tall unsung supermarket hero's who regularly go out of their way to help the more vertically challenged among us,I am 5ft tall and am always having to ask people for help to reach things,I'm even struggling at work now,trying to measure the height of teenage boys who all seem to be nearly 6ft tall nowadays is becoming impossible ,I have to ask them to measure themselves
    My friends grandson is 7 years old and comes up to my shoulder now:eek:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2018 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Onebrokelady. I'll be looking down on you from my lofty 5ft2ins, thank you, it's not often I get the chance to feel superior. I'll even reach things down for you as long as the shelf is no more than 2inches above your frantically waving fingers.

Today I try to decide what I am going to pack. Won't worry about ironing anything. DSiL has an iron, and an ironing board which is untold luxury. I have already dragged out my one suitcase. It was once a set of three several decades ago. A Corfu taxi driver managed to rip the handle off the largest one. DIL "borrowed" the smallest one and something dire happened to that. So I'm left with Mummy Bear which I am nursing with the greatest of care. It does have a piece of hairy string serving as a zip pull but otherwise looks OK.

I hope you are all coping with life. Mar, I trust you have managed a bit of restful sleep. Polly, good to see you posting again, we miss you when you're not here. And all the rest of you, my dear friends, just keep putting those jolly old feet firmly on the ground.
    I may drop in again today but I doubt there will be much time tomorrow.
    I am taking tablet away with me as I fear what it will get up to in my absence, so if my nerdy brother can connect me up I may be able to post from there.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

It's not the tragedies that kill us - it's the messes.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2018 at 8:38AM
    Options
    Ralph Lauren advert - I wish. But keep imagining me like that please FPK - your imagination is wonderfully fertile ;) I'll try to live up to it in my imagination too ;)

I always imagine Hester in all her gear like one of the Beryl Cook ladies (sorry HH)

Onebrokelady - always happy to help!

NM - had to spend a few days in hospital about 10 years ago - the lady in the next bed was elderly and a bit confused and kept trying to escape. The only nurse who had any control over her was the naval nurse in her traditional style uniform. The staff couldn't understand why until I said that she was the only one who actually looked like a nurse to the lady. I know the tunics and trousers are practical but TBH I never know if it's one of the cleaners or a nurse and the doctors all look as if they've walked in off the street. I did think that the NHS could save loads of dosh if there was a standard uniform across the country for all hospitals then we'd all know who was who.

DH still got the trots (sorry if it's tmi so early) he's had all the tablets so not sure how to proceed now. He's been on bread and water as per NHS advice. I've got a check up at the doctors tomorrow morning so will have a chat with her if he's not improving. Don't know what's caused it as we've both had the same to eat :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FPK They have caught up with my era on call the midwife. I started as a Student Nurse in 1964. I was very slim and dainty then which made every male patient fall in love with me. I only weighed 6 stone.

We wore long dresses very wide skirts and high collars. The hem had to be 6 inches below our knees which in my case was just above my ankles. We had starched white aprons that almost met at the back with square bibs you had to pin to your dress. The dresses were a tiny blue check, we wore starched collars that cut your neck, we used to bang them with something' can't remember what, to soften them a bit. We had black stocking, tights had not been invented yet, and black lace up shoes. We had green cloaks with red linings which were turned to the red outside for the carols on Christmas Eve. Topped of with a large butterfly hat which took ages to fold from a large white starched rectangle about the size of a hand towel, not the little guest towels. It took weeks to get the laundry to starch them enough to be able to fold them properly. We wore them for weeks until we had another piece of cotton that stood up on its own.

We were all dying to get the frilly little hat when we became staff nurses. They replaced all starched white hats with paper ones about three weeks after finals.

So actually we were more old fashioned than on call the midwife. Now they don't look like nurses with their trousers and short tunics but they are more practical.

Just like one of my Ladybird books!! :D

I also have images in my head of you lot - very favourable, I might add! GQ is an Amazon, resplendent in Zena Warrior Princess garb, wielding a mattock; monna is a pretty, Margaret Rutherford type, but with the most exquisite designer underthings - in red or emerald green; mar has spiky black hair, leather and tartan biker gear, but very gurly underpinnings; Lyn, I picture you as an elegant, grey-haired Alys Fowler, gaily tripping down to the lottie; Lame wolf, I can see your chair all "blinged up", as you sit there dressed like an Edwardian lady; fuddle, although I know what you look like, I always pictured you as tall, raven-haired, dressed somewhere between hippy and steampunk... :D:D

Well, DS#1 got married last Saturday, is in Rome for his honeymoon, and I earned my first wages in 5 years this weekend, so all's well at the moment! ;)

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thought I had better bring you up to date on OH. He is still in hospital and likely to be for some time. There is a bacterial bug in the ward. Patients who can be discharged home have gone but because I have said that OH cannot come home until they have sorted out the passing out he has to stay where he is. I know this may seem hard, but its at my GP's insistence. If he passes out here I cannot pick him up, its an ambulance job. they will cart him off to A & E and the merry go round starts again. Three patients in his bit of the ward have it, up to now he is clear.

He did get and EEG yesterday and they are hoping to do his MRI scan tomorrow afternoon late, so the room can be cleaned afterwards.

I went in yesterday, not going today SS will go in this evening.

My back continues to trouble me. but whilst I am driving and having to walk so much it will. Today I will get a full day of medication, but not tomorrow.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Update re Kittie - her ban was due to be lifted 6 August and I've just checked her profile. It still shows PPR at the moment.

Am guessing that bans get lifted manually and arent automatic pre-set (to be lifted at x hours, y date).

So - she should be back online later today I'm guessing.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Csarina Sorry your OH is still stuck in hospital ((HUGS))

pollyanna So glad you're feeling better!

Only a flying visit from me today because we're looking after the grandchildren in a little while, so trying to get some things done before we leave. Meanwhile, DS's pedestal fan has worn out and he's desperately trying to find somewhere that has some in stock near to where he's working today.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've just had to dash out and get the washing off the line because IT'S RAINING!!! totally wonderful, I'm damp and a bit cooler all round, lovely!!!
  • Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, Mrs. L, how I would LURVE some rain. Here in East Anglia we are still baking hot. The grape vine is suffering, the tomatoes have failed - even the 'hot country' herbs are wilting.
    We had two days of steady rain a while ago, but it was hardly enough to soak down more than 1/2"
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure