PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Islandmaid, me too. In fact my best days are those when I dont have to leave the house. I am perfectly happy being on my own. According to Myers Briggs I am INFJ, which, I am told, is introverted and empathetic. I don't know about empathetic, pathetic, yes, but most certainly introverted.
    The really silly thing is that I have many friends. I don't consciously make friends, but I seem to collect them anyway.
    Life is weird.

LW, the spoon theory applies in a very minor way to getting older as well. I never thought that there would come a time when I couldn't do everything that I've always done, or that I wouldn't be able to do it as quickly and easily. But it happens and it makes me very cross.

The oven is now cleaner. Not perfect, but better. I think that before I move I will,push the boat out and get one of those oven-cleaning firms in to make it pleasant for the next people. I have my limits.

Silver-oldie, your mother probably will out live you. These cantankerous old women ( Oh yes, I'm practising) seem to go on for ever. My SILs mother died a couple of months before her 100th birthday. I think I've said on here before that when someone said that she'd be looking forward to getting a card from the Queen, she snorted and said that she didn't want a card from the Queen. The Queen had never bothered to send her a card before so she didn't see why she should bother now. My SIL said that there would be hell to pay if she didn't get one.
    Again I'm sure I've told you about my friends ma. She hated everyone, fell out with everyone and could have started a row in an empty room. She died aged 98 and had stipulated that at her funeral we should sing, "Make me a channel of your peace."
    There wasn't much singing but there were plenty of heaving shoulders, and they werent heaving with heartbroken sobs either.

I really must stop indulging in reminiscences. Sorry.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Monna - your empathic side is why you collect friends. When I get over this year it'll be a double gin for you in the Pilot! Its not my tipple but I am partial to a dark rum or brandy to keep you company :)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Actually Silva, my tipple isn't gin either. I don't actually care over much for spirits. I would like an unsophisticated red wine, or if it's very hot, (We can dream) an equally unsophisticated Cinzano and lemonade.

I'm a cheap date.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 April 2018 at 8:28PM
    monnagran wrote: »
    Ah well Islandmaid, it looks as though it will be me and thee for our get -together. Is it one bottle each or do we have to share?

LW I think more of us can relate to you than you would imagine. I am pretty confident now but it was not always the case. As a child, my mother said that it was easier to get me to the dentist than to a party. I will still find all manner of excuses to get out of a party.However, I have led the sort of life where meeting people and public speaking was essential, so I had to get on with it. However, although I have never had your difficulties I can still feel for you.
    When it comes to the phone I am fine if someone rings me, but if I have to ring someone I put it off for as long as possible. I always imagine that they will be in the middle of a meal, just stepped out of the shower or at the top of a ladder painting the ceiling. Certainly not about to welcome a call from me.

I suppose we all have our strange hang-ups to a greater or lesser extent. LW, you are wise to prefer your canine friends. They will never let you down, make you feel foolish or demand something that you are unable to give.

I am wittering on here to put off cleaning the oven. I coated it in gunk this morning and have to go and scrape it all off, hoping that most of the baked on grease will come with it. As soon as I finish on here I have to go back to the kitchen.

War and Peace, anyone?

Oh monnagran, that's exactly like me when it comes to phone calls! I did manage to ring the Eye Clinic today, though, to warn them I would be away next week (in case they offered me an appointment st short notice), and was disappointed to find nothing had happened yet. The lady who is meant to deal with "squeezing me in" is supposed to ring me in the next few working days......We'll see.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 994
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    monnagran, she's already had a card from the Queen.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Brandy or whisky for me please, no mixers. Maybe a bit of ice depending on whether I'm here or already frozen there :D

Floss and Nursemaggie, would Blackpool still be good for the both of you? Providing we can pick a non hospital time for Nursemaggie. If anyone else could make it to Blackpool that would be lovely too (mid-end September, date TBC).

How far south would I have to come to meet the southern [STRIKE]nutters[/STRIKE] lovely folk? :D I make no promises, but might be able to squeeze in a day trip somewhere.

Lamewolf, how frustrating about the darned tablets.... and she wouldn't get off her backside??? They give medical receptionists a bad name. There are some of us who aren't dragons, we'd do anything to help out patients. Unfortunately, I'd say in my experience it's an even 50/50 split.

Monnagran, you're a braver woman than me oven cleaning. It's on the list of tasks I won't be attempting until the cavity is so small I couldn't fit a tray in :rotfl: I'd rather install new cabinets entirely. I have a great fear of caustic chemicals.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    Forumite
    Softstuff I for one am on the SE edge of London, so can travel into Central London but that's probably a bit far out of your way!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Monna - I'll join you! My usual tipple is Dry Martini and lemonade :) not really pirate material am I?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608
    Forumite
    Blackpool will be find but I don't mind somewhere else if someone else could come.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ivyleaf, I won't entirely rule it out at this stage. I hope to get to London to visit an old school friend at some point, but cost and the time it takes out of the visit have made it impossible. I will see though.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure