PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good morning FPk and good luck with finishing the lasagne !!! A wannabee fusion chef? never mind the greatest have to start somewhere . The worry over the blood tests has probably made you tired . Anxiety can be pretty exhausting . Just pace yourself today .
    burtha I've been thinking the same thing . I would either be there or very nearby for these "visits" I know how anxiety can lead to these meltdowns and at the moment I feel your youngest needs all the support possible . You need to have a conversation with him privately and let him know he is causing damage that could be reduced if he'd stop being such a wally . Not having a go at you but he needs to either step up or stop . x
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Dear Monna May the Force be with You :D

Bit tired this morning . Shortly after midnight I noticed as I was about to close down the laptop that pretty well the whole Essential Money board was being heavily spammed and as no one had reported it had to start a thread . I confess after pressing the spam button on a few threads I had to abandon the rest . They were all identical and I was so tired by then I'd lost track of which I'd reported and which I hadn't .

Angie I was sending a pm to someone earlier and your reply from June has finally shown in my inbox . Thank you . Enjoy the home schooling , the best thing I ever did and a life saver . Take care and love to you all ( and the sewing machines :D )
    polly

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    No, no wee chickens now. All that work is gone and neither of have the desire to set about doing at again let alone DH cutting and welding less than a foot off these panels. No chickens but I'm not sad, I need for the bit of residual embarrassment to leave me and then the determination will take over.

burtha you're doing a cracking job of coping. I say job because I think it will be taking effort to try to be positive and proactive. This 5 minutes doesn't seem to be working for anyone. The wally would be better off with some heart to hearts with the kids I think but that would mean he would actually have to deal with the fallout that he has created wouldn't it?

Monna, they would have been and gone now. Am I right in reading that you're in the house on your own now? Are you coping ok on your own? Stupid question! Is everything in it's place with a place for everything?! :D

Just a thank you for the prop up yesterday really. to gnome or not to gnome that is the question. I do like a bottom in his direction :D but he won't see it as my beautiful espalier apple trees will block his view - he won't get any windfall either as they'll drop my side just like he wants it.

Ah honestly. I encroached his fence with my wonky fence. I broke the rules and I annoyed him. Fair play to him but I do feel a bit scorned and we know what that does to us wifey lot eh?! Love to all x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Have a nice brood about it fuds... I do like a nice brood then a nice plot. ;)
    Odd weather continues, very annoying. HOT sun then sudden rain, over and over. We are in & out to the garden/car like the people on a cuckoo clock.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Polly you may be right. I'm also getting to bed a bit later than usual though and still wake up with the sun. As for OH's lasagna, I added some pesto, fresh basil and a bit of parmesan to mine and it went down more easily. I really hope he sticks to teaching for his career, he is much better at it ;)

Fuddle, have a brood and then fly the bunting, wave the flag and line up the gnomes. If there are any other wooden structures on the plot that will need painting at any point can I suggest a nice bring colour? Maybe pink or purple or something similar?

Mar, our weather is the same. It makes me grumpy when I don't know what to put on in the morning. Jumper? Sun dress?

Frustrating morning, I feel like I didn't get much done. Also spent most of the morning listening to OH do battle with three energy companies as someone changed us around the time we moved in and none of them can agree what the meter readings should be. We dutifully took them when moving in and when swapping to a cheaper company, but no one told us there was a third in the mix. We think he has sorted it, but it took him two hours on the phone with four different operators. Poor man. I heard him once say three times consecutively "I don't understand how you think we've used £50 gass in the space of one day." After he went round and round with that they reduced it to £30. He went round and round with that. He finally finished and then realized he'd forgotten a detail so rang back. There was no record of ANY of it, so he started over. We think it was actually done this time but I won't believe it until we have it on paper.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    That's shocking and a sign of the times - nobody can do their job at all!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think there is something about electricity and gas that turns everyone into blithering idiots. Makes no difference how good the company was before they took it over they will be totally incompetent the first customer they speak to.

FPK write down your meter numbers and make sure they have them registered under the right one. If you can possibly get them to write it down get them to send it to you to be sure (not that I think it is guarantee) they have it right. Despite all the work I have done with 5 different companies over the past few years. Mine is still not registered for the correct one. I could not change providers this year because of it.

I'm liable to have a nervous breakdown at the mention of gas or electric meters.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Mar I trust you and the RV are donning your national folk costumes - although I dread to think what they may be - in weather clock mode .
    Have you thought anymore about the Library . I seem to recall you sometimes go to Edinburgh on the bus but as the seasons turn the car would be better . Does the RV have any old mates who fix or collect bikes ? There are still a few around here and they can spend the day talking bikes and reliving the glory days . If so he could drop you off and go off for some man talk .
    I used to sing " Born to Run" loudly on the bike . Ironic now as I try to keep the joints moving but I wouldn't change those glory days for the world .
    I have a bit of sun some wind and a lot of cloud . Hope you manage a few days out .
    polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    In view of the electricity price hike to come I really need to take a good look at best options but confess I'm not looking forward to it .
    I've only had a few providers since the late sixties .
    The Gas Board and The Electricity Board . They were the only option .One set price , fair and it worked for all . Added bonus is pre call centres , dds and the rest you could walk into the nearby sho
    wrooms and pay with real money and get a proper receipt from a human being .Then came British Gas and here Manweb .
    Then the mayhem of everyone competing against each other but actually taking more and more from the consumer .
    I moved to the coop when they launched and in the mayhem a couple of years ago when they changed the site stayed with gritted teeth taking screen shots of every monthly statement as account information vanished into the ether .
    If they're still offering a decent deal I'll stay as their call centre are pretty ok and local .
    Otherwise I will be stepping into the unknown.

NM I've had a few meter problems in the last few years . Lowri Beck now read for most energy companies and I had the wrong meter no thing go on . Same meters as always . I am vowing to never allow a smart meter near this house . Things worked in the past , why not now?
    polly

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Polly not all of my meter problems have been at this address it has been one after another. Meters have been changed in the past and not registered. Npower initially wanted £40,000 per month off me kept saying I was not giving them the correct meter reading. I would spend an hour on the phone getting them to agree to sort it out and agree I could not possibly use £40,000 worth of gas for heating only, in a two up two down, in the summer.

Within seconds I would get an email calling me a liar and putting it up to £40,000 again. In the end I went to OVO not having paid NPower for nearly a year and they wrote me a proper complaint letter to NPower threatening them with the ombudsman. I found OVO OK.

We then moved house and it started up all over again been through two different companies since and still have not got this meter properly registered. They just don't answer and having problems getting them to give me a Gas meter. Can't have any central heating until they give me a gas meter.

I think the coop are in trouble. They also owned iSupply, what I have at the moment. The Coop sold it off but it is no better as they have not replied to me after 10 days since I wrote to them about a gas meter. It is all done on line there is a message system which is supposed to get you a reply within 24 hours.

Have a chocolate hobnob. DS has got two jobs starting tomorrow. Both starting at 5 am tomorrow, the baker which by now DS should have emailed and told them he will not be taking the job. The other is Aldi as a picker, not washing crates. It is £3 an hour more than the bakery, less overall hours and regular overtime if he wants it, not compulsory. He can work his way up in the company all the way to the top within the UK. Conditions are better, canteen, is better. With the prospects of the job he is not so sure he wants to end up with a £50,000 debt from uni when he can work his way up without a degree. He will not give up learning Japanese. :beer: :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback