PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Terminal boredom here today - I want and need to get out into the garden but at 3C and a wind that would skin ye, it is not going to happen. Sleet and heavy snow forecast for Monday. Bleugh. I really need another elephant to ea - erm to play with.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You know that ark you were building a while back Mar? What did you do with it? Because I think I might need it...
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    mehefin, you obviously haven't met my tablet. Even if I tried to type June it would insist that it should be Julep or Jigsaw or Junior. We are constantly at war.

The thing that fascinates me about the Welsh language is how many words are so close to the French equivalent and to Medieval English. If I had my time over again I would like to do more study about the derivation and growth of language. Completely useless of course.

All the Celtic languages have similarities. Welsh has similarities to Breton, Cornish and the Gaelic(s). The old Breton onion sellers could converse with the native Welsh speakers not that many years ago. Haven't seen a Shoni Onion here for ages though
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 March 2018 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Monna in response to the same as mehefin. I don't think linguistics would be a popular degree course if it was useless. I have always found etymology fascinating. DS and I would both love to do a linguistics degree.
    Etymology is part of linguistics. I have books on place names, and word origins.

Just google etymology and you will find over 7 million entries. That should keep you busy for a few years. There are lots of lectures on line on nearly every subject you can think of. Most of the worlds top Universities have their own websites and have a YouTube account.

Yes mehefin I could follow the news on RTE when we lived on Anglesey.

Melvin Brag did a series on the evolution of the English language a few years ago. You will find it on YouTube.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mehefin there is a Sioni Wynwns seller at my nearest market every Saturday. He even has a bike bedecked with his onions.
    Hope everyone has a good weekend. Hugs to anyone who needs or wants one.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mehefin there is a Sioni Wynwns seller at my nearest market every Saturday. He even has a bike bedecked with his onions.
    Hope everyone has a good weekend. Hugs to anyone who needs or wants one.
    nan xx

Nanny that's great. Whereabouts are you? PM if you would prefer.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember touching on the subject when we were studying Chaucer for 'A' levels.It fascinated me how the same words grew harder or softer the further north or south they went. Then I made a Welsh speaking friend and discovered how similar Welsh and French were.
    I'm not particularly good at languages, but I do love words.

In have enjoyed my peaceful day today, the more so because the weather has been exceptionally vile. Dark, wet and windy. I feel so sorry for the visitors who have come to the island for the weekend. I think I read somewhere that JackieO is coming over for a few days next week with her family, I hope Spring has put in an appearance before then.

mehefin, I remember the annual invasion of the French onion sellers with their strings of onions on their bicycles. When did that stop? It must have been in the early 60s I think. I certainly remember buying my onions from them when I was first married. Fantastic onions they were too, lasted me all through the winter.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2018 at 10:36PM
    Options
    I thought JackieO died not long ago........? Nope - it was 1994!!!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Let's get our JackieOs sorted here. The one I am talking about is very frugal, knows she is living the high life when she goes to a quiz evening and has a meal for £2 and holidays on the Isle of Wight.

Not a Greek billionaire in sight.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Our JackieO lives in Kent and posts on the Daily. She uses that name as her OH used to say she had a look of Jackie Onassis x
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills