PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Please, just moderation. I have been so interested in the primal way of eating, an avid follower of Mark's Daily Apple blog and not necessarily following high fat diet but eating natural fats and stamping out breads, floured items etc.

Obviously we now know I have a wonky heart and I want to stress that I don't think high fat means high fat. No lards, creams, butters high fat cheeses, or less of then anyway. High fat, to me, means olive oil, oily fish etc. The Primal way of eating advocates fatty meats and animal products. Knowing what I know ow about myself now, if I ate solely that way I think my arteries would be packing in sooner rather than later.

Please get the Omega 3 and Omega 6 balance right. We need more Omega 3 fats than Omega 6 in our diet. I also subscribe to the thought that carbs when eaten with the wrong fats are horrid for the health of our organs. Refined carbs though, simple sugars etc. Not carbs from fruit and veg. I think with all the diets out there it's easy to get missed and mixed messages.

I'm eating the Mediterranean way now. I don't calorie count, I don't obsess over fats or carbs I just eat natural, non messed with food. It's a learning curve.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, yes slinky. I started that diet back in the seventies.It did work after a fashion but I found it quite hard and for me, unsustainable. In those days it was called something like 'The doctor's magic diet' and it was pretty draconian. Of course, at that time we didn't have the range of foods we have today and I was pushed financially to afford all the protein. I am not a great meat eater, much preferring cheese and eggs but I do largely follow as low a carbohydrate diet as I can manage.
    I've been told that in a siege I would be the last one standing, my body requires so little food. I just need to convince my mouth of that.

Anyway, for the years I have left I intend to enjoy my food but to be as careful as possible without being too obsessive. I have been obsessive for over 60 years and that is quite enough.

Back to today. I have a viewing tomorrow so today will be spent doing a bit of tarting up.I do like to make a good impression!
    The sun is shining today but tomorrow is forecast to be much colder again so I will have to rack the heating up a bit I will certainly have a loaf baking when the viewer arrives. I do it every time and every single viewer has sniffed appreciatively when they arrived. Doesn't help the carbohydrate count though!

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Some days you eat salad and go to the gym. Some days you eat cupcakes and live in your dressing gown. It's called balance.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    softstuff Michael Mosley is not a medical doctor. He is a journalist. I don't know what his PhD is in but it is not medicine. He was touting the 5/2 diet. His weakness is chocolate he hides it from himself. :rotfl:

I used to belong a church that had a few Doctors but none of them was a medical Doctor. They used to call each other doctor just among themselves, I think because no one else ever called them Doctor.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    softstuff Michael Mosley is not a medical doctor. He is a journalist...

Actually he is a qualified doctor, in psychiatry but he does not practice hence no GMC registration. He was a student alongside a former psychiatrist colleague at what is now UCL in London and uses his medical training as the basis for his research for his journalism, books & tv work
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    softstuff Michael Mosley is not a medical doctor. He is a journalist. I don't know what his PhD is in but it is not medicine. He was touting the 5/2 diet. His weakness is chocolate he hides it from himself. :rotfl:

I used to belong a church that had a few Doctors but none of them was a medical Doctor. They used to call each other doctor just among themselves, I think because no one else ever called them Doctor.

He trained at the Royal London as a psychiatrist. But although he was the catalyst for me looking into this, over a couple of months prior to starting I read a lot of published research and studies, and also made sure my GP is fully supportive. The 5:2 worked very well for me, it was my GP that advocated that when I was concerned some time ago about the history of diabetes in my family, I had to stop though when I was taking heavy painkillers that couldn't be on an empty stomach. This is working well for the perspective of enjoying it and anyone looking at a meal for me right now would struggle to fault it, lots of nice veggies, oily fish, nuts etc.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • fuddle
    Options
    Phew softstuff. I had a panic thinking you were going high sat fat. I guess you could say I'm high fat low carb. I don't eat refined carbs anymore but I eat avocado, olive's, smoked salmon, mackerel etc my carbs come from fruit & veg. My red meat consumption is going to be lowered along with bacon.

My new trick is a handful of nuts a day. A different but every day. I wish I could remember the science but apparently nuts are only beneficial in small amounts a day.

We're off up the caravan later in the hope of a relaxing weekend. We'll see.

NM you mentioned steel cut oats t'other day. I've bought sachet porridge for ease in the caravan. Will they not give me the same benefits?

My mood is much better. I think I had a bit of an existential crisis these past few days. My thoughts spiralled to doom and gloom. I've done it before but got out of it much faster this time. I've been to the plot just to get out. Brussels Sprouts have been down and greenhouse has been tidied. Next weekend DH is assembling my shed and I can't wait to be organised, warm, and able to get some slabs down for safety in walking. It's become apparent that the plot has never got to be a struggle. No dig, tidy and little and often weeding is a must.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Actually he is a qualified doctor, in psychiatry but he does not practice hence no GMC registration. He was a student alongside a former psychiatrist colleague at what is now UCL in London and uses his medical training as the basis for his research for his journalism, books & tv work

He's also married to a GP, who has written some of the recipes. I doubt she'd let him get away with poorly researched material given that her patients will be quoting it to her.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I think the prob with diets is that some people are naturally inclined to go over the top in anything, and in diets it happens a lot. People get rabidly intense lol. Some go out of their way to stuff themselves with fat - that's wrong. We just eat as fuddle says, natural normal eating, but slant it away from carbs and don't avoid fat.
    Meanwhile send vibes for me please Fencers, I'm trying to avoid/stay out of hospital and we have a blizzard outside.
  • fuddle
    Options
    Mar are you ill?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Collected daughter from hospital after a minor op on Tues, by Wed night I was feeling very off, yesterday deadly tired sniffly and headachey, and today pain in kidney area. The crisis I had 6 weeks ago was a lot more sudden and extreme but basically the same symptoms. I sitting very still with a HWB on my back, drinking gallons of tea and taking vitC. xx fuds
    If I start collapsing all over the place then the RV knows to call 999.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback