PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Aw Hannah Hauxwell has died. :(
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, Fuddle, mind you she was 91 and her later years must have been more comfortable than her earlier life.
    Here's a copy of the original ITV news programme on their site with Hannah Hauxwell at her farm in 1972. Hannah's bit starts 16 minutes in, after a rather long sheep herding session.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just worked out that Hannah was only 46 in this first film.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Saw the TV programme about her when she was on the farm - what a desperate way to have lived and what a fantastic spirited lady she was. They did a follow up programme after she moved to her little house in the village, she was so grateful to have even the very basic amenities we all tend to take for granted. They don't make em like that anymore
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've got the book about her somewhere. When she was 46 she looked 66, although some of that was the silver hair due to pernicious anaemia.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    She had PA? Crikey I didn't know that. How on earth she did what she did with PA I do not know.

She retired in Cotherstone. It's a lovely little quaint stone village just out side of Barnard Castle in Co. Durham. It's a beautiful place so I can only hope she was happy and content in her retirement.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Amazing really that someone who had such a tough life lived so long. That lady really did know the meaning of hard graft and surviving below the poverty line..all credit to her.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I've got the book about her somewhere. When she was 46 she looked 66, although some of that was the silver hair due to pernicious anaemia.
    Bless her, remember seeing her on the tv whilst sat with my grandparents (who have long since passed away). She was a real character, loved reading about her in the news.. never knew she had pernicious anemia though.. Horrid condition, I was diagnosed 4 years ago and it certainly knocked the stuffing out of me! It's a steep learning curve with it and regularly swipes the rug out from underneath you. For her to have coped with it on top of living in those harsh conditions, meant she was made of real tough stuff! :o
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I remember it because my hubby has had it for over 20 years and it runs in his family. She mentioned in the first book that PA was what made her father an invalid and then he died young, and somewhere else it said she had also been diagnosed with it.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    De lurking to say I hadn't remembered that she had PA, I was not diagnosed until 2000 aged 60, so I guess it would not have meant too much to me when I saw her on TV.

Lovely place where she retired to, we drove through when we stayed at Barnards Castle last Spring.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback