PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,768 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 December 2017 at 12:11PM
    Options
    VJsmum - thank goodness it was just the car.

I have just been and emptied my weekly income into asda's pharmacy for throat spray for the House troll, painkillers and olbas oil. Choices when I returned home were put the tree away or start on the prosecco. I've been awake since 3am for the 3rd morning on the trot. Guess which one I chose?

MMF I salute you. Your Christmas has been about as far from ideal as possible but for making the best of it you score eleven out of ten.

I spent two hours on twitter last night answering tweets on Sarah Millican's joinin for lonely people. I had some lovely chats and went to bed feeling lucky for all that I have.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon Fencers.

I hope you all had a good day yesterday :)

I am exhausted despite having done nothing for 4 days ....I blame the lack of sleep.

I'm just waiting for Shaun the Sheep Movie to start :D:o :cool:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    karcher, hope you enjoyed the movie!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Boxing Day (((HUGS))) to you all.

Just watching Matthew Bourne's Cinderella -it's riveting :j
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Boxing Day (((HUGS))) to you all.

Just watching Matthew Bourne's Cinderella -it's riveting :j

Me too, although I have been baking and only just started viewing it.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • wondercollie
    Options
    Tonight is my last night shift ever. Start in a day surgery and I intend to finish my nursing life there.

I bit the bullet and spoke to my Mother Christmas Day. My sons have been asking me to talk to her (long bitter story as to why I don't). Well horses don't change their colours and neither does my Mother. She announced that she probably won't be attending my oldest's wedding as she has an old and sick dog! She has had a terrible year. She had Christmas lunch at a local church. She has no social life. Every time I tried to talk, she would stop and let her dog out, let it in, put the phone down to fill the kettle.

And thath's why I don't bother. I don't matter, never have. My brother was the favourite child and then his son. How do you tell your children that you don't talk to their grandmother because she's said horrible, hurtful things about them over the years? She's toxic and has made her bed.

It was my resolution for 2017 not to be involved with her and I should have stuck to it.

Now that work is sorted out, I'll get my repeat mammogram done. Yup, on top of being off work for six weeks due to food poisioning in the spring, my mammogram came back as questionable. I know that it's highly unlikely to be anything serious (thank heavens for tame Residents at work who looked at it for me) but I've learnt not to tell my mother anything because she always has been sicker, known someone who has had it and they did just fine.

End of rant.

Christmas Day (apart from that phone call) went really well. Food and good company. A not difficult night shift.

Now, if the weather would just change. It was -32 when I drove home this morning!
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh my goodness WOnderC, -32?? We get terribly excited if we are -anything, but you probably know that.

Enjoy the last night shift of your life. Your body clock won't know what's hit it when it doesn't have to keep making adjustments.

As to your mother, poor you. She isn't just a bad mother, she is a bad person. There is no excuse for treating ANYONE so hurtfully, much less your own child. Unfortunately I know several people who have suffered abuse like that from their mother and most of them have been very badly affected by it.
    One friend in particular had a mother who played one daughter off against the other all their lives. I knew her for nearly 50 years and don't recall her ever saying a nice thing about anyone. Honestly, she could start an argument in an empty room.
    When she died at the age of 98 she had requested that one of the hymns sung at her funeral should be " Make me a channel of your peace."
    I sat at the back and have to say that the singing was very thin and weak, but the heaving shoulders told me that most people were struggling not to laugh.

There is no shame in cutting off any member of a family who behaves as yours has. In fact self-preservation insists that you must.
    It's probably a good thing that your children have no idea that their grandmother has said cruel things about them.No need for them to be hurt if it can be avoided, but if it should ever come out, they will then understand why you wanted nothing to do with her.
    What a horrible situation.

Hope the dodgy mammogram gets sorted out. Had a few of those myself over the years, but it always proved to be something of nothing.

It's nice to have someone to chat to in the middle of the night. I suppose I'd better try to get back to sleep.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WonderC - hugs for you. I can identify with everything you've said about your mother. I haven't dealt with mine for six years now, 40-odd years of put downs was enough. My children know that they can contact her (and the rest of the family there with her) if they choose. So far the only contact kept up is with their cousins.

I don't know what I am going to do today. The weather is dire so beach walk is postponed and DDs boiler has sprung a leak anyway so she's stranded trying to get that sorted. DH is at work. It's too wet to clean the car or do gardening which were my back up plans, so watching films again it is.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've certainly had the strong winds they promised us and they seem to be getting stronger. It's recycling day. I heard my wheelie bin go in the middle of the night, so there was I in dressing gown and boots, scarcely able to stand up against the gusts, chasing around for newspapers, envelopes, wrapping paper etc. in the dark and lashing rain Most of it seemed to end up in a hedge but there was plenty whirling merrily down the lane. Some of it has probably reached Scotland by now. I have a nasty suspicion that something else dire has happened, there is an almighty thumping going on outside. I will have to get dressed soon and investigate.

WestC and Jazee, I don't think you are alone in having mothers who don't deserve that title. I have heard horrific stories and have to admit that I don't understand people at all.
    For you, and for others, I have searched for a suitable TFT but this is the best I could find at short notice.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Be careful how you speak to your children, one day it will become their inner voice.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Well after a few difficult days and very little sleep we have our 13 yo dgs on respite for a few days.
    He will help CHS with painting the engine bay.
    I slept last night finally but then slept in and the fire went out.
    It's relit now and the boat is warming up.
    I don't keep in the amount of food I used to so I'm stretching what we have.
    Home made leek and potato soup today with crusty bread.
    Yesterday I did a roast at dgs's request.
    I shall start a beef stew simmering on the log burner in a minute and then make some cakes.
    Wondercollie, glad you have finished working nights.
    Monna I hope there is not too much damage, we've had a smattering of snow.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure