PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ,...
    Sorry to make you feel guilty ,:o
    Just keeping going , and to be honest it's probably less than I was doing ... apart from now cutting more wood :D,just a bit in limbo land ,till house sold, practical stuff needs done and if I don't my kids will not be warm ...
    There is tones of stuff I need to do but don't , basic housework only... would much prefer to be running or walking ... plus kids need to see me ok

Of to bed now though ...Shattered
    Night all x
    £223/ £250 GC
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When my sister started teaching, there was one member of staff who never had any trouble even from lower 5s (apparently the worst year in any school,old enough to be trouble, not old enough to have to knuckle down to exams)

This teacher explained simply that "as you get older you get a nastier look in your eye" (She was lovely, by the way)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    maryb I can understand that one. For me it came with grandchildren. Especially when the daughter had 5 of them..
    Woke up with head full of a vivid dream - was standing at a window watching formations of planes flying over, just like the war films. When the RV brought my tea in and I sat up, I could still hear the thunder of the planes in my mind. Hope we aren't going to war.
    It was white frost here and 3C, but we have sun and blue sky for first time in ages.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I dreamed my boss died Mar... :)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 September 2017 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Monnogran, that is perfect! I love it. I shall send it to my friend who is an under-appreciated TA.
    For such needs I have perfected what we call a Paddington stare. Paddington bear gave people a hard stare if they were annoying him, as taught to him by his Aunt Lucy, if I recall. My DH says it is hilarious to see and has even withered car hire staff who tried to charge me £240 for a replacement tyre once! It conveys, rather less eloquently than Monnagran, that I take no crud from them.

ETA - THE stare gets set to lethal for chuggers, esp those that say, 'You look kind', as they approach :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I too have a Hard Stare which comes out on specially warranted occasions ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My DH calls it my Death Stare! Don't care cos it works!! Going on holiday on Saturday - hav'n't even started sorting packing, need to attack the laundry basket before I go and clean downstairs. We're going to see the new Kingsman film tomorrow, Thursday got the guy coming in to prune my fruit trees and Friday take my car to have some spray work done while I'm away. I feel at sixes and sevens at the moment and can't seem to settle to anything. Need to give myself a stern talking to!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvasava Don't worry, you'll get it all done. And if you don't, as long as you do the packing eventually, that's the main thing :) I hate that feeling, when there seems to be so much to do that I don't know what to do first and end up faffing about.

mardatha I bet the view from your house is beautiful this morning :)

The email I tried to send yesterday has now been sent, and there was one from my brother which he'd sent yesterday morning. Haven't had one from him today yet though, so we'll see. Hopefully it's been sorted out now.

Sending ((HUGS))) to everyone in need of some.

I'm meeting Churchmouse today for coffee and lunch - some of you will remember her.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As a lecturer in uni, I too have had to use the Hard Stare, goes with raised eyebrows and pursed lips...

I think they think it's their mum they are dealing with - not cross, just REALLY disappointed.... :rotfl:

Also to be used on other people's recalcitrant and screaming toddlers in supermarkets...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • nannywindow
    Options
    Thanks Karcher, I did have a lovely holiday but it seems to have passed too quickly. I hope you are feeling somewhat better now.
    I think anyone who has dealt with children ( not their own ) has perfected the death stare in some form or other. My DD, a teacher, even used it when we were in the cinema on a group of unruly teenage girls. They soon stopped throwing food etc. However when I was in charge of 24 preschool children for many years, I also perfected the tantrum dance. To see the look on the face of a tantruming youngster when I started to copy them, was priceless. They probably thought I was bonkers and not to be messed with but they soon realised that a tantrum had no effect. :rotfl:. I still miss the children ( I retired in 2003 ) and have many lovely dreams that I was back in the saddle, so to speak.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback