PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    There has been so much rain today that the bottom of my garden is flooded :eek::(, I've decided the wheelie bin can wait another day to be brought in;).

Sausage and mash it is tonight with onion gravy and the last of the broccoli, comfort food at it's best. My house feels really damp & chilly tonight though I don't think it's actually that cold just really miserable. The fleecy slippers and jumper ain't cutting it so I'm off to put the heating on for a bit.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 September 2017 at 8:44PM
    Options
    I like to keep an eye out for what I call "meal in a tin" opportunities - and I've just spotted something I'd buy if I shopped at 4sda... but I don't as it's far away.

These soups work out at 60p/tin if you buy 5.
    https://groceries.asda.com/product/chunky-soups/heinz-simmerin-sausage-veg-big-soup/910002934130

Quick "grab it and scoff" hot meals ... for when you are CFO and CBA.

Actually, I'm on their website to look for something I ate the other day - but from the name I was given .... I can't find it. Hate it when that happens.

My god 4sda have some fabulous food for sale and a HUUUUGE range.

I feel a trip out coming on ..... for goodies :)

I'm going to make a list now ... and put that soup on it .... see if I can get motivated to visiting their shop ...
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Unhealthy day yesterday as we ordered pizza for dinner and I had wine too.:cool:

I'm having a smoothie today for breakfast. Banana, apple, frozen blueberries, almond milk and I'm going to add some fresh ginger too.

EDIT: And I am now eating that ... :) 2 bits of toast, ½ tin of beans, cheese slice on top.

I had beans on toast for breakfast and then the cereal for lunch yesterday.:D
    Holly,
    I know the original outlay is expensive but as a CFO household, I find my Remoska invaluable. Rather than heating up the whole oven for a single tray of fish fingers/chips, the whole thing is done in the 'Moska for a fraction of the price.
    You can sometimes pick them up at boot sales as people 'haven't got on with them', but for a single-person household they are invaluable.
    I use mine at least once, if not twice, a day.
    Lizzie
    Save

I only read about a Remoska on here, I keep thinking about getting one.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 21 September 2017 at 10:11AM
    Options
    While I like the idea of a Remoska for cooking, the reality is I'd be scared of them ... (scared of electrical systems and high energy pulling devices I am not familiar/comfortable with) ... but they do seem "quite a big beast" so I'd wonder where to keep it - and if a gadget isn't easily/instantly available then it becomes a cupboard lurker.

I'd have no cupboard room to put one.... so it'd have to go into another room - so where, spare room? It wouldn't get used if it were up there.

My slow cooker handily "just fits" in one of my kitchen cupboards; my toaster oven doesn't have anywhere to live, so has to be "out on display" and a bit of a nuisance and I have to move the microwave to plug it in, but because I have a "need" for pies etc that I cook in it it does get regular use.

Breakfast today ended up as:
    - 1 bread crust, from freezer, can't buy a new loaf until the one in the freezer's finished.
    - Small portion of leftover beans, clears the pot from the fridge
    - 1 egg scrambled, because I bought new ones so have lots.
    - Splash of brown sauce.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    CFO and dish sizes.

I'm working up to making some form of quiche in the coming days (need milk as I've none)...

So then it's what size of dish .... this is a real struggle. I've got a round dish 5" diameter; a square dish 5" square; four small tartlet tins (3"?); a couple of ceramic pie dishes....

And in a perfect world NONE of those are the right size for what I've got in my head. I probably need a 6" dish for "piggy quiche days".

Those cooking for more people don't have these worries, a simple 9" dish will suit all needs.

With CFO there is more importance at the start to cook "the exact right amount" - and you need the right sized dish to achieve that.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unhealthy day yesterday as we ordered pizza for dinner and I had wine too.:cool:
    Pizza and wine - what's not to like :D
    CFO and dish sizes.

I'm working up to making some form of quiche in the coming days (need milk as I've none)...

So then it's what size of dish .... this is a real struggle. I've got a round dish 5" diameter; a square dish 5" square; four small tartlet tins (3"?); a couple of ceramic pie dishes....

And in a perfect world NONE of those are the right size for what I've got in my head. I probably need a 6" dish for "piggy quiche days".

Those cooking for more people don't have these worries, a simple 9" dish will suit all needs.

With CFO there is more importance at the start to cook "the exact right amount" - and you need the right sized dish to achieve that.

I struggle with this too, though just tend to make a larger dish as that's what I'm used to and what I know works and freeze the excess. It's not ideal though and I must get some more CFO suited baking dishes. I fancy something like these but don't know that need 6 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PQWCMEY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AXIGIF12O0NM0&psc=1 but of course they're of no use for nuking!

Good morning everyone,
    Still wet and cold here but thankfully due to clear up later.
    I had my usual toast for breakfast and lunch will be a pastrami sandwich Tonight I think I'll use up the meatballs in tomato sauce I have in the freezer no doubt with spaghetti.

I really enjoyed my sausage and mash last night suspect it may feature fairly regularly again now winter is approaching. I find food I can eat in bowl very comforting when it's horrible weather, seems to help make me feel cosy:)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    While I like the idea of a Remoska for cooking, the reality is I'd be scared of them ... (scared of electrical systems and high energy pulling devices I am not familiar/comfortable with) ... but they do seem "quite a big beast" so I'd wonder where to keep it - and if a gadget isn't easily/instantly available then it becomes a cupboard lurker.
    This is my problem. I think that for one person they are ideal, but I don't know where I would put it. I've got the microwave out and the kettle and that's all that I have on the work tops. My kitchen is quite small as well. There isn't any room in the cupboards to keep it, they are full of the normal kitchen things and I have a large and a small slow cooker and George Foreman grill in them as well.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Morning everyone,

I've had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast and I'll just have a cheese salad sandwich for lunch. It's nice and warm here today so I'm happy to use up the salad bits.

For dinner I've dug a turkey goulash out of the freezer and think I'll have that with rice and a side salad. I want to use up the salad stuff before the weather changes and I want comfort food and not salads :).
  • PasturesNew
    edited 21 September 2017 at 11:09AM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I fancy something like these but don't know that need 6 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PQWCMEY but of course they're of no use for nuking!
    I've got three of those, one bought as a housewarming gift and two smaller ones, bought when Sainsbobs were flogging them off at half price when I wandered through one day (sold singly, £1.50 instead of £3 each).

I just checked the size... I've two 16cm and one slightly larger one.

But dishes are about a complex blend of shape, length/width/diameter, depth, material and cooking method.

Wealthier people with large kitchens can simply buy everything they want ... and not even think about it. Those with less money and tiny kitchens have to over-stress every considered purchase ... mulling for months :)

The Falcons are at least nestable.... always a bonus!

For quiche, I think the issue I have is that I don't want to buy a quiche dish with a wibbly wobbly edge ... because, while that might look nicer when finished, it's an overhead in effort/faff :) I think £land have some for £1 right now ... I should pop down and see what they've got and I might just sigh and give in at that price.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,360 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning folks

Up early, just could not get back to sleep, bummer.

Thus breakfast was some of my apple stash, nuked to sort of make "stewed" with yoghurt. Should have also had honey on top, but for the life of me I can't find the new jar of honey I bought and put safely away. Looked in every cupboard about a thousand times. I only know it is indoors "somewhere" :o

Lild day tomorrow on way to volunteering so will get another jar of honey then, and no doubt the lost one will promptly re-materialise like Captain Kirk

I was going out but really didn't need anything, so did a bit of light garden tidying, cut down the blackberries ready for 2018. Quite warm out side but rain due later so they say

Lunch is going to be a corned beef salady baguette. My part baked ones need using BBE 17/8 :o

Dinner is the ultimate CBA CFO, YS 4 cheese pizza I snaffled on Tuesday. I have some LO fresh mushrooms looking a bit sad now, they will do nicely to bung on top
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport