PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who else is doing Xmas/One? Entirely.

So: think of, buy, cook dinner for one, eaten alone at home, not been anywhere, not going anywhere, seeing nobody ... ?

Not: Going to family, then somebody's here but working so we're having it the day before/after.

I mean: a real Billy No Mates Xmas/One?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

So: think of, buy, cook dinner for one, eaten alone at home, not been anywhere, not going anywhere, seeing nobody ... ?

Not: Going to family, then somebody's here but working so we're having it the day before/after.

Luckily I am not in this category.

I said luckily but some of course do choose the a real Billy No Mates Xmas option by design and not no other option

If I were doing the a real Billy No Mates Xmas I don't think I would bother making it "special", just perhaps buy a ready meal turkey dinner and pingable pud
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Options
    Lunch was corned beef salad roll x 2

There is one doughnut left which may be mid afternoon snack wiht cuppa

Dinner is up the air. Could be fish & chips as yesterday, or maybe get a Linda Mcartney veggie pie out of freezer and have it with steamed fresh veg. It will depend on the CBAometer
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September 2017 at 1:34PM
    Options

I think I may be. It looks like my brother and his family are going to stay with my sister in laws brother this year. A couple of friends always say "come to us for Christmas day" but I don't like to "gatecrash" their family Christmas, so I'll probably be here on my own over Christmas.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A couple of friends always say "come to us for Christmas day" but I don't like to "gatecrash" their family Christmas

I wouldn't ever invite someone for Christmas day out of politeness, either they're someone I'm happy to have there or I wouldn't make the offer, so I'm sure they wouldn't feel like you were gatecrashing.
    If it's that you can't face having to fit into someone else's idea of Christmas and deal with their children then I totally understand preferring to spend the day by yourself :D
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    For lunch I went down the easy route... I had veg that needed to be used (cabbage and carrots), but the swede hasn't grown legs, so when that didn't fit into the steamer I put it back on the worktop and just steamed the cabbage/carrots.... which I then served with some instant mash and instant gravy .... in a bowl.

:)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

I'm having a bit of a CBA day with food.

Breakfast was Greek yoghurt and a banana and lunch was a Greek yoghurt with some honey.

Dinner will be some oven chips and lightly dusted haddock from the freezer. I may have some baked beans with it. As Farway says,a one tray in the oven job. It suits my mood perfectly :).
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Just had a cheeky slice of toast with chocolate spread. Nearly out of chocolate spread now, which I get from 4sda, which is a ~15 mile or so round trip.... made only 2x a year as a rule as you can't guarantee they have what you went for, so it's always best to not go specifically for one thing....

I've still a bit more in the jar that can be squeezed out - I've been eating it quite a bit in the last 2 days (got through a pack of muffins, before resorting to toast).
  • Farway
    Options
    Dinner finished up as the Linda vegetarian pie with steamed veg, and boiled spuds in the steamer water

The pie was disappointing. I only have them about every 5 years, seems they have changed formula since my last go, plus I couldn't get it out of it's tinfoil in one piece. Only one left and once it has gone I can sit back until 2023ish

The good part was I did extra spuds, learning from before, so now have some ready cooked for something or other during the week
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I popped out for a bar of chocolate and some fizzy pop, intending to get three 2-litre bottles....

By the time I got to the point where I was getting the drinks, I could only manage two as the basket was quite full :)

They had muffins with 30% off stickers on, so I got two packs (handy that as I'd just finished the last ones I'd frozen). I got some fruit pastilles as well as the chocolate. Eggs, as I thought "might as well". More honey/nut cornflakes for when the current box runs out.

And .... a pack of 6 sausage rolls, currently eating two that I heated up :)

Sausage rolls, chocolate, fizzy pop .... all the Tuesday food groups covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure