PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 17th July 2017

Options

Comments

• Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all. No washing today and as we just had heavy rain I'm glad, though the sun is out now.

Just vacuumed through downstairs as everywhere looked bitty but that's all I'm really planning. Meeting DD1 later so DGD2 can go to soft play. Makes for an hour out. I'm struggling lately with going out (I know it doesn't sound like it from what I've posted) but I'm trying to fight it. Been here before.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hugs pollybear xx

Fresh bedding on for me, persuaded ds to try on shorts. Both chosen what clothes they want to take and neither have beach sandals that fit. Well, they do, but the ones that fit ds I think granny got from goodness knows where and they are a bit manky. And the nice ones he had fit dd now but they are "too boyish" apparently <rolls eyes>. Well I guess they should get some use out of new pairs I suppose.

Kitchen reasonably tidy, we might even go out for food later. I'm quite disenchanted with the idea of cooking :rotfl:

Spare room looks loads better after de-gibbling apart from the suitcase but I can live with that. Right I'll go help ds look for his lego train station. Honestly I don't know where we've put it!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 July 2017 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Do I get kicked out of the Flyladies if I admit I have advertised for a cleaner?

Nope. But you do have to deal with the jealousy.
    But retraining and sitting exams in my late 40s?

I started my BA at 45, my Masters at 48, and I didn't finish it until I was 51 because I didn't want to rush it. I can honestly say I couldn't have done it when I was younger, and the older I get the more I learn. Go girl!
    Pollybear wrote: »
    I'm struggling lately with going out (I know it doesn't sound like it from what I've posted) but I'm trying to fight it. Been here before.

(((Hugs))) Pollybear. We're all rooting for you.

Thanks for your comments about afternoon tiredness Narco, YL and Ionafan. Rather worryingly (algorithums and all that) yesterday a Dr Max Mosley video popped up on my F'book feed about sleep deprivation. I think I'm sleep-deprived, so I'm obviously going to have to switch the light out earlier.

Flying has been sporadic, but what I've realised is that I now tidy automatically every day to such an extent it doesn't seem to count as flying any more. So today's extras - I've cleaned out all the bird foodboxes, feeders and the boxes used to transport two large seagull chicks down to the seafront. I hope they're okay. The third flying one that I couldn't catch seems to be back and very, very hungry, so it clearly hasn't learned to forage for itself yet.

And I've been working on a Toots List canetoad. Six years ago I got the forms for Lasting Power of Attorneys and they've been winking at me ever since, although I'd moved them out of the In Tray into the filing cabinet a couple of years ago. During an open garden day for the local hospice I signed up for information about getting them done and was really, really unimpressed with the chap I saw this week so trusty MSE to the rescue, I'm now doing them myself which will save at least £180 possibly even more just for me, never mind OH. Lots and lots of reading, not the least of which has revealed the forms I've got are out of date, but at least I've drafted something that will help when I do them online.

I've never actually written my Toots List because it would be monstrously long but this feels like real progress.
    Better is good enough.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I recently found out DS1 has been 'mad at me' for 8.5 YEARS because I apparently 'wrote him out of my will' ... say what??? I have NEVER had a blooming will so I have absolutely no idea what he is on about.. I did say a few years ago I SHOULD have one (it's on the Toots magna carta).. but I have never actually got it done... I only found out because my nutty sister mentioned it to DD1 as 'something she could never forgive me for' a few weeks ago and DD1 just told me.. sometimes families suck!!!!

And my crazy mother is in a snit with me because I didn't ask her how my stepdad was after his op.. I guess though, had she mentioned it had been done at any point in the 2 weeks since he had it I probably would have done but as she failed to mention it I assumed it had been cancelled because surely it is something that was important enough to mention..

again... blooming families.. nothing but trouble.. cats are the way of the future!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're not kidding Piggers

Sister's widower has unfriended every member of her family on FB.

Mind you he is also estranged from his own family.

How sad for him. He will die a lonely, unloved man.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    [creeps back in under cover of night]

It's been a busy time.

Have acquired (and thankfully, eventually decluttered) a lodger. The money was handy, but she was absolutely minging. Found out when she finally waltzed off to a fancy job overseas that her idea of cleanliness was to take off her dirty, smelly clothing, put it into binbags stacked up to above headheight over the entire expanse of spare room floor and then buy new clothes. As a result, when the spareroom door was opened for the first time in 18 months, the smell of old clothes, lack of personal hygiene and cheap perfume made me heave.

However, more positively, before she turned up, I acquired a rather lovely OH. He's everything my exes weren't. Except he's a Collector of Things and seemingly unable to see mess and dirt and clutter.

He's currently on tour with his band, will be back for a couple of days and then is off to Germany for a few days, back again and then off again.

I've got six blissful weeks of not being at work in the job I have come to detest with all my heart. I've spent the entire year as a 'technician' being ordered to clean cupboards and heft heavy equipment around. Makes me wonder why I wasted all that time studying, as you don't need a degree to move books off a shelf, onto the floor, across the room, back to the front of the room, into another room, out of the room into another room and then, finally, take photographs of the books so they can sell them and move them across the room again, ready to move them around the room and quite possibly back into the cupboard in September.

In any case, with the lovely Collector of Things and the Manky Lodger, I've been surrounded by clutter and stuff and dirt and noise every single moment I've been at home for 18 months. I've only had two meltdowns about the state of the house in that time, so I think I did rather well there - but it had got to the point where he had decided he hated the lodger and wouldn't clean up after her or sort his stuff out as every time he tried to clear up his temporary office space in the kitchen, she'd march down, decide to cook, leave food bits all over the place and then take my plates and cutlery and leave it festering upstairs for months, she got all over emotional about everything and would spend her evenings chewing my ear off about how he wasn't pulling his weight around the house and I would try and find somewhere to hide from the pair of them that wasn't coated in a layer of filth and gibble and usually fail.

Anyhow, now she's gone, he's spent an entire fortnight cleaning and sorting out the spare room as an office and place to put up itinerant musicians. Considering that on the first day, I got two bathrooms from filth to gleaming perfection, I had my suspicions, but I'm pretty certain now that he simply cannot see what needs to be done - he just sees 'Oh my God, it's too much' and therefore spends his time rearranging crap and achieving beggar all.

I am not his mother or ex wife, so I am not going to live him a list of instructions, but as I'm actually at home for a change, I am going to make damn sure this place is to my liking before going back to the grindstone in September. He will learn along the way, because I'm certainly not doing it when I'm back.

He left for the first gig at about 1pm. By 2.30pm, I had

Put descaler in the WM
    Scrubbed the mould out of the WM drawer
    Scrubbed the mould off the WM drawer recess
    Removed a sticky layer of grease from the hob
    Put oven racks into vile cleaning potion bag
    Wiped vile cleaning lotion around inside of oven
    Emptied fridge of lifeforms at cusp of developing sentience
    Cleaned front of fridge
    Battered inch thick ice off freezer door with a wooden spoon
    Filled sink with extraneous crockery
    Cursed the faulty DW for doing this to me (dying)
    Retrieved pouffy duster from Idiot Cat seven time, as he seems to think it's vermin to destroy
    Cleaned kitchen window despite not being able to reach it (short legs), just by hurling hot water and bleach at it
    Repaced all jars of pulses onto windowsill
    Filled giant bin bag with crud left on windowsill, countertops, bottom of the oven (prior to evil fluid being applied)
    Considered adding Idiot Cat to contents of bin bag
    Put washload of teatowels and cloths into hot wash
    Wondered why it was essential to purchase a set of bookends when we have more books than the local library, so they could all go into the bookcases, rather than keeping a bunch out on a newly clear surface that could have stayed clear for once
    Cleared crud (mine) off coffee table
    Removed Idiot Cat from coffee table
    Distracted Idiot Cat away from coffee table with crunchies
    Swept up Idiot Cat's crunchies where he dropped half of them out of his mouth onto the floor before jumping back onto the coffee table for a sleep
    Denastied the toilets
    Replaced the toilet rolls and thrown away the inner tubes
    Wondered why it is impossible to operate the holder and put a fresh toilet roll on it rather than leave it sat on the cistern
    Emptied the bathroom bins
    Found another toilet roll inner duped on the floor round the back of one toilet cistern
    Pinged 7 large and very hungry snails off my beanstalk
    Quietly shut the back door when I heard 'What the **** was that?' coming from the garden over the wall where I had just pinged said snails
    Made a cup of tea
    Tipped away forgotten cup of tea and washed cup up
    Cleaned microwave
    Discovered underneath the crud that it's gone rusty after just one year

Made nice comments about how the venue he is gigging at has made their dressing room look lovely as he sent me a photo, instead of asking him exactly what he reckons he's been doing all week whilst I'm at work, seeing as I've done so much in an hour compared to the time he is spending upstairs (with the door open, by the way), or how he thought it was ever OK to feed me food prepared in that level of grime.

Gone to bed.

Failed to go to sleep, got back up, realised I didn't take any more painkillers, so was possibly hurting more than usual because of that - and the headache brewing might not have been from noxious cleaning products, but withdrawal from the sodding codeine I've been on for six months and in the process of gradually reducing with absolutely zero acknowledgement from the GP - and came back on here.

I will go to sleep in the end. But I'm already miffed I'm not asleep, as I don't want to lose my decent sleep routine because I'm not at work. Especially as OH has a habit of phoning to say he's stranded somewhere every time I've just dropped off.

Rejoining/relurking to get the house back up to standard and to 'encourage' OH in the ways of actually achieving more than moving bits of gibble around all day.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. Frodders hope you had a lovely birthday.
    It was our wedding anniversary this week as well so had a bit of a girly get together at a local cafe that doesn't a very ott pretty line in unicorn milkshakes and hot chocolates. Much fun had by all then Dh took me out for a meal in the evening.
    Been busy all week all the ironing is complete but want to keep on top of the laundry once the weather is dry.
    Still doing major tidying and decluttering as new boiler is being fitted next week so they need access to all radiators.
    Hope everyone is ok and coping well with all life is throwing at them.
    Lynne new grandchild is due in January but DD wants a surprise as she doesn't mind either way. All of mine were surprises (flavour that is we had planned them)
    Got everyone round today but have more boxes to go through so hopefully moe clutter will be gone. X
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Woke up at usual time. emptied WM, refilled WM. Switched on DW. Made coffee. Came back to bed.

Today I must write summer list.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    I need to do a list Valli, I want to do a wallpaper wall in the lounge and repaint the gloss in there, plus need to have a prep list for Wednesday as I need all space cleared around every radiator the boxing in removed for round the boiler and worksurface and shelves shifted from below it plus airing cupboard cleared and attic space free around water tanks think we will be busy!
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    Morning All :)

Nice to see you Jojo x

DH still snoring in bed, kiddies watching Ninja turtles and I'm having a cuppa. DS behaviour was testing yesterday, we had gone out of the tantrum phase but it was like he was 2 years old again all day yesterday!

Hope the rain stays at bay today so we can get out to the park and ride bikes. Recorded two films yesterday (Secret Life of Pets and Miss Peregrines...) so will be watching those late afternoon.

Have just booked DDs first riding lesson for two weeks time :)

DH away all next week (first week of school hols, cheers for that!) so will be running the freezer down whilst he's away, there's much less actual cooking involved for evening meals when he's working away.

Have fab days all xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport