PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheap/ healthy snacks

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Would this be of any help to you? .....

Low Fat Cereal Bars

1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup Rice Krispies
    2/3 cup chopped apricots
    3 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds (I don't bother toasting them)
    1/4 cup toasted coconut (I don't toast it)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp oil
    3 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

1. Melt oil, honey, peanut butter in microwave just until easy to mix up, watch carefuly, probably 20 seconds or so.

2. Mix in vanilla.

3. Mix all ingredients together and press down well into 8" square tin.

4. Bake at 350F/180C/gas4 for 20 minutes.

I'm not a snacky type person and rarely eat between meals (just once a month do I get a craving!) so not much help really, sorry :o ... not that you'd believe it if you met me as I seem to be able to put on 10 stone just eating a lettuce leaf these days :(
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• You could try eating Special K or Crunchy Nut Cornflakes as if they were crisps, they last for ages.....
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Apparently, frozen grapes are very good as you can suck on them for ages, still get that sweet kick, but be eating something that's good for you, all rolled in to one.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    crudites are sometimes more appealing with a dip.

also try a drink instead of a snack and sugarfree sweets/gum?
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    In my drawer at work you'll find enough apples and carrots (plus whatever looks good at the local fruit shop), but for the "crunchy" snack I bring in a box of breakfast cereals..
    Shreddies I find are very nice to munch on ,and I can never resist a few dry special K... I sometimes steal a few of the kids chocolate ones to have with coffee... :rotfl:
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    Lots of interesting ideas to think about here, thanks to all of you! I think I had better stay well away from fondue sets...might have a go at making the cereal bars though...

I really think I have something wrong with me, the way I'm craving sugar at the moment. Its terrible, I was out last night and I was sitting there thinking about cakes!! But I went home and ate cherries instead, thank gawd it's the season for cherries and berries etc.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    I'm really bad for snacking too. I am trying really hard to be healthier and drinking more water during the day really helps.

The biggest problem though is that I want to snack when I am bored - what I have been trying to do is when I feel the urge to snack go and do something else. Take a walk around the block, turn off the TV and pick up a book/magazine, do the hoovering etc. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. However I think it helps me distinguish better wanting to eat and needing to eat.

HTH
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Badgergal wrote:

I really think I have something wrong with me, the way I'm craving sugar at the moment. Its terrible, I was out last night and I was sitting there thinking about cakes!! But I went home and ate cherries instead, thank gawd it's the season for cherries and berries etc.

It's really funny you should say that - I'm craving sweet things too, and it's most unlike me. Last week I told my boyfriend that I craved chocolate, and he turned up the next day with a big bar of Divine. But I'd eaten it within 48 hours!!! Sometimes chocolate lasts me weeks! And I've already bought chocolate biscuits and bourbons from the shop at work this week...very bad!

I am blaming the lousy weather - it's feeling like that autumnal hibernation preparation...I thought I might be hormonal, but I can't be hormonal ALL the time!!
  • Marmiter
    Marmiter Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I sometimes buy a tub of cherry tomatoes to snack on during the day.
    Full of lovely antioxidants!!!
  • trace-j
    trace-j Posts: 783 Forumite
    I can't possibly comment on whether hormones make you crave sugar sweet foods, but was recommended the GI diet to help lose some weight when my exercise routine and low fat thing wasn't working.

I haven't been sticking to it to the letter as I'm not faddy diet person, but have stuck to two principles that most people may identify with.
    1. Breakfast is the biggest meal of the day, with a substantial lunch and a light dinner.
    2. No carbs after 4pm (i.e. rice, pasta, bread and potatoes, all other fruit, veg and salad is ok).
    If you get the carbs from your brekkie and lunch- your snacking will be reduced (see GI books as to what is slow releasing carb wise etc).

Unfortunately I do struggle to eat anything more than a bowl of museli for breakfast, so I take a banana and strawberry whole meal wrap to scoff when I get to work and a bag full of fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) to munch through out the day.

Lunch can be a pain, I tend to cook what some would have for an evening meal and reheat at work. Jacket Potatoes are great if you have got a microwave. Otherwise its cold rice/pasta concotions if out and about. Dinner is grilled chicken, salads, veggies, soups, stir frys etc.

The cravings for mid meal munchies are definately deminished and with my exercise routine manage to shed a stone since Christmas (would have been more if I ditched the alcohol).
    :idea:I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about:idea:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback