PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheap/ healthy snacks

Comments

• kimith84
    kimith84 Posts: 108 Forumite
    cottage cheese - v.low fat and low carb - only 64 cals per 100g and really filling
    :rolleyes:

keep your drink.....just give me the money
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    • Pickled beetroot and pickled onions.... yes really!
    • celery and pepper sticks (with your carrot sticks)
    • HM salsa - finely chopped fresh tomato with finely diced red onion, coriander, black pepper and a squeeze of lemon, lime

Be careful with seeds - they are very healthy, but are high in fat. 1oz has approx same cals as a packet of crisps - better for you in nutritional value but just as high in calories. Eat them in moderation... ;)
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why not join us on the Lose Weight 7 thread over on the I wanna board - loads of advice and inspiration over there, the more the merrier ;)
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    honey28 wrote:
    Why not join us on the Lose Weight 7 thread over on the I wanna board - loads of advice and inspiration over there, the more the merrier ;)

I think that is what I need to do..I have put on a few pounds since buying the panasonic 253 breadmaker! :mad:

fluffynit
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Im probably not the best person to ask but crackers and cottage cheese ( but usually lashings of peanut butter) is the only snack for me

Or of course popped corn without any syrup is great too adn filling
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    My lovely husband has a terrible habit of grazing his way through the fridge which I usually spot just as I go to make dinner and hwatever I planned fails because a key ingredient is missing :rolleyes: . I need inspiration for things I can make or buy for him to munch on so that he stops working his way through the meat for lunch! Reasonable cook with most equipment so all suggestions gratefully received.

Not easy, he doesn't eat anything sweet, hates soup, not a huge fan of pastry or bread. His ideal would be a cold joint of beef that he could slice bits off, but even that would bore him after a few days. Trying to control food spending prior to doubling mortgage so economical suggestions especially useful. He works so hard for us and I want him to be able to graze as he likes. Not fair though as he never puts an ounce on......

Thanks in anticipation

Hex
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    How about a whole cooked chicken? Not too expensive, and you could have it for dinner and let him strip the carcass.

Does he eat fruit or veg? Dh eats carrot sticks, but only if I prepare them in a bowl in the fridge. He wouldn't think to do them himself! Perhaps a salad bowl?

Alternatively, have a shelf for dinner and a shelf for him, so he knows what he can and can't eat.
    :hello:
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How about dips? You could make one up easily and put it in a lidded container and have some ready cut sticks of carrot and celery next to it. I use Quark to make my dips and it would be a very healthy option for him.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Yep, Lucky, you beat me to it.

Was going to suggest chucking a bagful of Tesco's 'value' chicken portions into a roasting tray. Very cheap and, when cooled, can be kept in fridge or freezer as required and simply reheated.

Personally I quite like 'em cold from the fridge and then you even avoid the cost of m'waving!
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Thanks for the ideas - but forgot to mention he wont eat meat on the bone, fat or anything with 'tubes'! If I do a whole chicken he just eats the breats and I have to think of something to make with the rest. I do veg sticks for my toddlers so they are always in the fridge and do vanish very quickly.
    I don't mind how long it takes to prepare stuff, so was thinking home made meatloaf or pate that sort of thing? Chicken satay might work rather than the portions if anyone has a recipe? I could strip the value joints to make them.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback