PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No movement in price then?
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    I don't wish housing costs to stay high - where did you get that ludicrous idea from? In actual fact, I'd prefer it if house prices did drop because it would make it easier for my children to get on the property ladder. That doesn't mean I sit at my screen trying to scare-monger people for my own agenda, unlike some I could mention...

Yes it is a money saving forum, and once the mortgage is paid off the house is all yours and no worries about paying rent each month for someone else to benefit.

Newbies may believe the rubbish you spout but thankfully the majority here know your posts are just the result of sour grapes.

That would be a 30 year plus journey, with plenty potential interest rate shocks, for someone buying say in London recently at bubble prices though? Many people are just accepting that it isn`t worth it anymore, hence the decline in buyers/sales volumes.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not being pedantic, I`m saying that the OP has no viewings because the house is over-priced, how long ago did this example of yours happen?

What difference does it make how long ago the example was I quoted? My point was that you cannot underestimate what will put people off viewing.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Crashy_Time
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    What difference does it make how long ago the example was I quoted? My point was that you cannot underestimate what will put people off viewing.

Because if it was pre-silly bubble prices then price might not have been an issue for the guy who didn`t want to view (but ended up buying anyway??)
  • Slinky
    Options
    I think I can say with nearly 100% certainty that it is not the blue loo seat that is putting people off viewing this house.
    Because if it was pre-silly bubble prices then price might not have been an issue for the guy who didn`t want to view (but ended up buying anyway??)

Well it was 1994 and prices were on the floor, and the property with the blue door he didn't want to view, but did and bought, was in the same sort of price range as the ones in the student filled terrace.

It wasn't price that was putting him off, it was the blue door.

Like I said before, never underestimate what will put people off viewing a property. We had a number of Chinese people registered who wouldn't look at a property whose address was number 4. Wouldn't seem logical to you or me but number 4 is viewed as unlucky by many Chinese.

I saw a property I looked the like of, but it was number 13. I hummed and ahhed about it for a while wasn't sure I wanted to live at 13. Fortunately somebody else bought it before we could view so I didn't have to overcome my dislike of the number 13.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• Crashy_Time
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Well it was 1994 and prices were on the floor, and the property with the blue door he didn't want to view, but did and bought, was in the same sort of price range as the ones in the student filled terrace.

It wasn't price that was putting him off, it was the blue door.

Like I said before, never underestimate what will put people off viewing a property. We had a number of Chinese people registered who wouldn't look at a property whose address was number 4. Wouldn't seem logical to you or me but number 4 is viewed as unlucky by many Chinese.

I saw a property I looked the like of, but it was number 13. I hummed and ahhed about it for a while wasn't sure I wanted to live at 13. Fortunately somebody else bought it before we could view so I didn't have to overcome my dislike of the number 13.

Much earlier than I thought, so two completely different markets, night and day from then to todays massive price bubble, so IMO your anecdote isn`t really relevant today or to this example, which again IMO is simply about PRICE. However it looks like the media are going for similar headlines to the time of the baby crash back then.......

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/836056/property-market-crash-uk-news
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well we have a viewer coming tomorrow ... received the phone the day after giving the EA a piece of my mind about how bad I think their service has been and telling them we will be moving agents after our 12 weeks is up.

Last time I sold the first agents suddenly produced a flurry of viewers when I gave them notice. I was very suspicious of how genuine they were. Second agents found me a buyer really quickly without reducing the price.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    it looks like the media are going for similar headlines to the time of the baby crash back then.......

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/836056/property-market-crash-uk-news
    Experts have confirmed that property values will flatline June 2017, which may contribute to a potential crash

Given this article was written in August 2017, the "confirmation" of these "experts" is startling....

Oh, and there's the small matter of the talking head at the top of the article completely contradicting the rest of it. Make of these so-called "experts" what you will...
  • Slinky
    Options
    Much earlier than I thought, so two completely different markets, night and day from then to todays massive price bubble, so IMO your anecdote isn`t really relevant today or to this example, which again IMO is simply about PRICE. However it looks like the media are going for similar headlines to the time of the baby crash back then.......

Never underestimate people's stupidity Crashy, just look in your own mirror.........
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

• Crashy_Time
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Given this article was written in August 2017, the "confirmation" of these "experts" is startling....

Oh, and there's the small matter of the talking head at the top of the article completely contradicting the rest of it. Make of these so-called "experts" what you will...

Yes, and the "recovery" (some of the comments are good on what people think of that word!) will take "Seven years and seven months", so yes very strange and muddled article, but this is the paper that was a main cheerleader for getting people into bubble sized mortgages and BTL, did anyone think to question the muddled nonsense then, did you question it? The point is that headlines like this affect sentiment, and it is sentiment that drives market crashes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport