PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Options

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    W He was a copper and worked a lot of night shifts. I suggested this other property and he said he had seen the photos but hadn't considered looking at it because it had a blue front door.

Now all becomes clear about his aversion

new-series-tardis.gif
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That thought had occured to me also.......
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Zizou
    Zizou Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Don't listen to the greedy estate agents!

A friend of mine was selling a house through an estate agent and he didn't have any viewings.

One day a couple knocked on their door and said I contacted the agents and to try and get a viewing, and my friend was surprised because estate agents told him that there were no viewings arranged!

These greed estate agents have their own agenda so you have to be careful!

Put on gumtree and social sites and see you'll get more viewings!!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Well he wasn't going to look until I persuaded him to. We'd looked at a property which turned out to be unsuitable. Most of the rest of the houses in the same row were student rentals. He was a copper and worked a lot of night shifts. I suggested this other property and he said he had seen the photos but hadn't considered looking at it because it had a blue front door.

But if you're going to be pedantic, I don't think he had some sort of blue-door phobia that involved me having to stick a bag over his head to walk him through it.

Not being pedantic, I`m saying that the OP has no viewings because the house is over-priced, how long ago did this example of yours happen?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 August 2017 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Zizou wrote: »

A friend of mine was selling a house through an estate agent and he didn't have any viewings.

One day a couple knocked on their door and said I contacted the agents and to try and get a viewing, and my friend was surprised because estate agents told him that there were no viewings arranged!

In fairness, that sounds like incompetence, not greed, on the part of the agents. Agents don't, generally, get paid unless they sell the house so there is no incentive for them to not deal with enquiries.

I'd be surprised if advertising on gumtree were successful - it's not somewhere that most people would look if they were interested in buying a property.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if advertising on gumtree were successful - it's not someone that most people would look if they were interested in buying a property.

There are many people on gumtree interested in buying property! However, many of them seem to live in Lagos in Nigeria and offer to pay by Western Union money transfer.... Some of them also kindly offer a cut in the millions of dollars they have access to on account of a deceased relative/government official for which they want me to act as their middleman.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    There are many people on gumtree interested in buying property! However, many of them seem to live in Lagos in Nigeria and offer to pay by Western Union money transfer.... Some of them also kindly offer a cut in the millions of dollars they have access to on account of a deceased relative/government official for which they want me to act as their middleman.

fair point, well made.

I should have said that it is not somewhere that most serious, genuine home buyers would look for a property!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Zizou wrote: »

The EA`s have managed to stay afloat by selling one or two houses a month and gouging tenants for fees on the lettings side, when tenants fees are banned expect them to become proactive in getting viewers, but also to be encouraging deluded kite flyers to get their prices down to sensible levels for this market.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    fair point, well made.

I should have said that it is not somewhere that most serious, genuine home buyers would look for a property!

Why not, if the seller is in your area it won`t take long to work out if it is genuine or not? More likely to be sellers on GT that have woken up to the realities of the market IMO, and you can cut out all the EA`s hot air as well, win win IMO.
  • flightsoffanciful
    Options
    Well we have a viewer coming tomorrow ... received the phone the day after giving the EA a piece of my mind about how bad I think their service has been and telling them we will be moving agents after our 12 weeks is up.
    I have noticed that the photos are *still* in a weird order despite me telling, and emailing them numerous times with the order I want. I wish I could just do it myself! On the plus side the duplicate photo does seem to have gone, as well as the infamous blue toilet seat picture.
    The house is now actually looking better than in the pictures as I have taken on board some of the suggestions from this thread (although no new photos taken yet). So hopefully, the viewers will be impressed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure