IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

***Help a Canadian visitor with a PPT please!***

edited 30 June 2017 at 2:05PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
81 replies 5.3K views
juxepejuxepe Forumite
32 Posts
edited 30 June 2017 at 2:05PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello all, I've read a lot of the posts but haven't found one that addresses my situation directly, so here it is:

The facts:

-Rental car from Easirent, to be returned on July 2, when I leave the UK
-2 PCNs from UK Car Park Management (CPM), dated 27 and 28 June (I wasn't using the car then, had not seen the PCNs until the 29th)
-I had displayed a resident permit on my windshield, though I'm not sure of its validity, it does look old, and is dated from Sept 2015, though there is no expiration date on it. There is a serial number, which I don't know what it refers to.

The PCNs:

Issue reason 1: Invalid Permit
Issue reason 2: Not Displaying a Valid Permit

The vehicle was parked on private property in contravention of the site parking restrictions as displayed on the signage or permit. A PARKING CHARGE OF 100 GBP IS DUE WITHIN 28 DAYS OF THE DATE OF ISSUE. Reduced amount of 60 blah blah I'm sure you all know the rest.

Other details:

I'm visiting the UK and staying at my brother in law's place in St Albans (while he's out of the country), and he lent me a Resident Permit sticker. In the residential complex there's overground parking space, but for only 25 or so cars (there's at least 200 apartments there!). I've parked my rental there before with no problems. But then on the 26th I couldn't find any space overground, so I went into the underground, which I thought residents could park in. The only sign where I parked says 'No Contractor Parking' or some such. It does say Private Parking when you enter the lot, but when you enter the entire residential complex it says Resident Parking only, which I assumed meant Private Parking = Residents Parking. As I had a Residents sticker, I thought it wouldn't be a problem. FYI my brother in law doesn't have a car so he doesn't know the rules, he just handed me the sticker and told me I can park with that displayed.

As I am not a UK resident, and I'm about to leave the UK in 2 days, here are the options I'm considering:

1- Pay the 'reduced' 60 pounds for both tickets, and sleep easy knowing I don't have to deal with this again (yes yes, I've read all the posts mocking the idiots that pay these things!). I'm not partial to this option though.

2- Cancel my credit card when I get home, so the rental company cannot charge me once they inevitably pay the PCN (repercussions? I'll never be able to rent from Easirent again or what?)

3- Tell the rental company I've been issued a PCN and that it is NOT a ticket, and that they should not pay it (though I'm sure they will, and then tack on some sort of admin/fine fee, 50 pounds if I'm not mistaken).

4- I don't see me going through the appeal process as I'm not a UK resident. What other options do I have?

PS. After I saw the PCNs and got in my car, I noticed there was a film of grease or some such on the windshield (on the outside), and on the entire right side of the car, which initially looked like the windows were fogging up, but after unsuccessfully trying to use the wiper and the heater, I went out to wipe it by hand, and I could smell and feel the thing. What is that and where did it come from?? Made visibility horrible, and wont get off no matter how many times I use the wipers. I'll try using vinegar next...The PPC wouldn't have sprayed something on my car in spite would they?? They did leave nice stickers on my windshield ('You're Parked Here ILLEGALLY')...


  • pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    contact the Parking Co , and give them your home address , contant easirent and tell them you are handling this and have already acted , state that this is a private INVOICE to the DRIVER , and as such not to act on it ,
    Save a Rachael

    buy a share in crapita
  • juxepejuxepe Forumite
    32 Posts
    Thanks! Once I give them my home address, I'm assuming I'll get letters from debt collectors, which I ought to ignore? Or will they not pursue anything out of the UK?

    Should I send them a mail saying something like "In reference to PCN No. xxxxxxx, please follow up with me from my home address as I am leaving the UK in 2 days, and will not be reachable otherwise"?

    If Easirent still pays the PCN and then charges my credit card, I ought to fight back and get the charges reversed?
  • juxepejuxepe Forumite
    32 Posts
    Also, does it matter if the home address I provide the parking company is the same as the one I've provided to Easirent?
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'd say give your home address in Canada - I very much doubt UK debt collectors have any power in Canada, unless they want a Mountie chasing after them :D

    But some of the debt collectors and PPCs here are complete numskulls.
  • hoohoohoohoo Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    The main problem here is the rental company.

    I would therefore consider appealing, confirming that you are the driver, and giving your brothers address as one you can be contacted at.

    Make sure your brother is ok to pass on all letters.

    Go through the entire appeals process like this. If at the end the PCN is not cancelled, inform them of your new canadian address and ask for all letters to be sent there from now on.

    This will take the rental company firmly out of the loop. If they do contact them, then you possibly have a data protection claim against the parking company.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    EDIT: , sorry , I missed the bit about your brothers address

    follow the plan (above and contact the parking co (before day 28) declining the offer , act normal , and give your brothers address , not C/O , just make it look like you live there , hopefully "goon and co" will try and save £2.50 (DVLA fee) and not bother getting info correctly ,

    summot sticks in my mind that there is a max date that they can legally apply for info from the DVLA , you could easily string this along by email before sending them a pic postcard from canada ,

    enjoy ,,

    Ps cancelling card will not work , theyy have pre authorisation , if they charge , you do credid card chargeback
    Save a Rachael

    buy a share in crapita
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Absolutely spot-on advice from hoohoo.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 30 June 2017 at 3:18PM
    juxepejuxepe Forumite
    32 Posts
    edited 30 June 2017 at 3:18PM
    Good to know about cancelling the card, thanks pappa golf.

    @hoohoo, what's that about data protection claim?

    My brother in law is about to move out of St Albans soon, so I don't think I ought to appeal using his address - correct? I do have a friend in London who's address I could use for this approach, should I do that, or shall I send the appeal letter and give my Canadian address?

    If I understand correctly, if I give my Canadian address from the start of the appeal, then the PPC will most likely contact Easirent, who will pay up. In order for that not to happen, I need to drag the appeal process on using a UK address to make it look like I'm a resident. If at the end of the appeal process I win, great. If not, I tell them you can contact me at this Canadian address, I've moved, and hopefully they wont chase this any longer. Am I understanding this correctly?

    Thanks everyone!
  • juxepejuxepe Forumite
    32 Posts
    Easirent have a page about this: easirent . com / penalty - charge - notice /

    "Parking Eye

    During your hire, you may need to use a private car park that requires you to Pay and Display. Parking Eye are one of the largest companies who run these car parks and if you use one without paying, a fine will be due. Using ANPR cameras at the entrances and exits, Parking Eye issues fines on the basis of a contract with the motorist, which is set out via the signage at the site. If, for example you are staying at a hotel and fail to register your number plate at the front desk, they have the right to charge you for using their car park overnight without paid permission.

    Many people are under the misconception that an FPN (issued by a privately owned car park) is different to a PCN (issued by the government) and believe they can simply not pay for a parking ticket. This is incorrect, and although Easirent will only take the cost of the admin fee, it remains your responsibility to pay the FPN we pass to you. The same applies to PCNs such as exceeding the speed limit, entering a bus lane, stopping on a red route, etc."

    I'm not really sure how this works then, Easirent will blatantly take a £55 admin fee regardless, because they've acknowledged PPTs?

    Thanks everyone!
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes, your understanding is correct. Parking companies are slimy beasts who want the money. If they think you are to hard a target they will conjure up some way to get it from the hire company.

    Using hoohoos suggestion should take the hire company out of the loop. Under our data protection laws you should keep processing of personal data to a minimum. If they already have a name and address then they shouldn't go to the DVLA to find out who the registered keeper of the vehicle is.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals