IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

***Help a Canadian visitor with a PPT please!***

Options

Comments

• juxepe
    juxepe Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed, have you checked EXACTLY what Easirents conditions state? I bet they dont cover private parking charges. if they dont, then they have no right to pass that charge on.

Unfortunately they do according to this:

https://www.easirent.com/penalty-charge-notice/

I'll dispute it with them but knowing how they are I doubt they'd cooperate.
  • juxepe
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:54PM
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Have another read of post#43.

Clearly the PPC have abused the process by asking the DVLA for keeper details when they already had the driver details.

Thanks, I'm trying to find the right contact info to contact the DVLA to complain about the parking company, but for the life of me I can't find it, only how to complain against the DVLA. Can someone help/send the link/point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I think I found it, foi@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

I'll write them an email letting them know of all the details and referring to what nosferatu1001 said in his post #43, attaching my appeal letter and their response.

Any other things I ought to mention? Do I complain about Easirent's outrageous fee?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    juxepe wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm trying to find the right contact info to contact the DVLA to complain about the parking company, but for the life of me I can't find it, only how to complain against the DVLA. Can someone help/send the link/point me in the right direction?
    you should report this to David Dunford of the DVLA and ask him to investigate.

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
  • juxepe
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    you should report this to David Dunford of the DVLA and ask him to investigate.

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Thank you!
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "Many people are under the misconception that an FPN (issued by a privately owned car park) is different to a PCN (issued by the government) and believe they can simply not pay for a parking ticket. This is incorrect, and although Easirent will only take the cost of the admin fee, it remains your responsibility to pay the FPN we pass to you. The same applies to PCNs such as exceeding the speed limit, entering a bus lane, stopping on a red route, etc."

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

you really need to read the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b0iavad3aqeh28/BPA%20BVRLA%20MoU.pdf?dl=0

that Umkomaas gave you ....

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 12:25AM
    Options
    juxepe wrote: »
    Unfortunately they do according to this:

https://www.easirent.com/penalty-charge-notice/

Your link leads to what looks like an Easirent blog in which they attempt to explain all about private parking charges and penalty charges issued by statutory bodies. This is what they have to say:
    Parking Eye

During your hire, you may need to use a private car park that requires you to Pay and Display. Parking Eye are one of the largest companies who run these car parks and if you use one without paying, a fine will be due. Using ANPR cameras at the entrances and exits, Parking Eye issues fines on the basis of a contract with the motorist, which is set out via the signage at the site. If, for example you are staying at a hotel and fail to register your number plate at the front desk, they have the right to charge you for using their car park overnight without paid permission.

Many people are under the misconception that an FPN (issued by a privately owned car park) is different to a PCN (issued by the government) and believe they can simply not pay for a parking ticket. This is incorrect, and although Easirent will only take the cost of the admin fee, it remains your responsibility to pay the FPN we pass to you. The same applies to PCNs such as exceeding the speed limit, entering a bus lane, stopping on a red route, etc.

Oh dear, it seems that Easirent are under the misconception that ParkingEye and other Private Parking Companies have the right to issue fines. They are also under the misconception that the hirer has a responsibility to pay these charges (i.e. no mention of being able to challenge them).

The contents of this blog do not form part of their terms and conditions which can be found here: https://www.easirent.com/rental-terms/
    Traffic and Parking Fines: If the vehicle receives a fine during the rental period, you will be responsible for full payment of the fine as well as a £55 traffic fine management fee per fine. This includes, but is not restricted to, parking offences, speeding fines, congestion charges, bus lane offences, traffic signal offences, toll road offences, etc…

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you the right to interpret unclear contract terms in a way that is most favourable to you. Your vehicle has most certainly not received a fine in which case you can reasonably argue that Easirent's contract does not entitle them to charge you an admin fee.
  • juxepe
    Options

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you the right to interpret unclear contract terms in a way that is most favourable to you. Your vehicle has most certainly not received a fine in which case you can reasonably argue that Easirent's contract does not entitle them to charge you an admin fee.

So I've had this conversation with them over the phone, and they only keep repeating that their leasing company charges Easirent 55 pounds, which they then pass on to the customer. I'll try to follow up further when I get home from work.
  • nosferatu1001
    Options
    Of course they keep repeating that.
    Dont call, email or letters. You need to get this in writing.
    You formally dispute their right to charge this to you, their contract with the leasing companyt is of no concern to you, YOUR contract gives them NO right to charge you
    You then state that if this is not resolved you will initiate a chargeback on your credit card, and will supply the same terms and the status of such to your CC company. this will cost Easirent far more than £55.
  • juxepe
    Options
    I've sent them a few emails but no responses now. David from the DVLA didn't respond to my complaint email either. Let's see where it goes.

Regarding the PCNs, I shouldn't be worried about getting contacted in Canada then - even if I do I guess they won't really chase, and I'll just ignore. Easirent charged me 55 pounds, I'll try to get it back, worst case have a talk with my credit card company soon. All in all, not bad. Learned a lot and happy to not have given in to the PPC industry of the UK. Thank you all for your great help. I'll keep you posted regarding any future updates, and will contribute more to the forums where I can have an input - maybe another foreign visitor like me needs help :)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    will contribute more to the forums where I can have an input - maybe another foreign visitor like me needs help
    That would be really helpful. There's not that many of us regulars here, so every informed contribution is more than welcome.

And given the time zone difference, you could do our night shift, it will allow Coupon-mad to get to bed a bit earlier! :rotfl:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport