EHIC website has crashed - but don't be tempted to use a shyster site

Options

Comments

• malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    I think all of us will give up at this point, and keep the several hundred pounds that we've cumulatively saved by not following your advice.

Well just to have suck up the additional effort of inputting imformatiom into the free site directly, rather than uploading to a third party website the exact same information, but we're hardy and resourceful souls.

So you'd rather go without a card ? Your choice, but potentially a very costly mistake.
    Legal team on standby
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    So you'd rather go without a card ? Your choice, but potentially a very costly mistake.

No, you are obviously too stupid to realise you can apply directly, I'm surprised you can use the interweb with that understanding of logic.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    How could they be considered disreputable if they provide a service which provides a solution to a problem ?
    Maybe direct that question to Martin Lewis.

It's clear that the message from MSE is not to waste your money on these websites.
    You are the lone voice who appears to think these companies add value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShvgXZQBTs
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How could they be considered disreputable if they provide a service which provides a solution to a problem ?

There is no problem......

People are duped to a site that charges them money, as is so often reported.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    No, you are obviously too stupid to realise you can apply directly, I'm surprised you can use the interweb with that understanding of logic.
    The 'lone voice' appears to be going round in circles.
    The reply to you (#72) was the same as to me (#61).
  • malkie76
    Options

How do you apply directly when their website is down? That's the issue being raised.

However, you've lowered yourself to posting insults, which demonstrates your inability to provide a counter argument.
    Legal team on standby
  • malkie76
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Maybe direct that question to Martin Lewis.

It's clear that the message from MSE is not to waste your money on these websites.
    You are the lone voice who appears to think these companies add value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShvgXZQBTs

Perhaps he has a better solution for when the website is down?
    Legal team on standby
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Perhaps he has a better solution for when the website is down?
    If MSE did have a better solution for when the NHS website is down, don't you think it would have been stated in the first post?

Instead of encouraging people to use a website that charges (as you are doing), MSE are still telling people not to use a 'shyster' website.

As I see it, you are convinced that ukehic.com is a 'value service' website and I'm just as convinced that it isn't.
    It's not silly. The third party upload your information as soon as the website is available again. This is of value if by that time you are already on holiday with no internet access.

It's pretty simple.
    Where does it say that on the website of the company you mention in post #21?
    Do you have an answer to this?
    You don't need the physical card to receive treatment, providing the DWP has your details on record. What I'm suggesting is perfectly sensible.
    Do you have proof of this?
    Have you ever required medical treatment abroad, didn't have your EHIC with you and the local hospital contacted DWP to check you had a card?

As per the link in reply #9, it appears that in Spain, it's sometimes impossible to get the same treatment as a local - even if you do have a EHIC.
  • malkie76
    Options
    If MSE did have a better solution for when the NHS website is down, don't you think it would have been stated in the first post?

Instead of encouraging people to use a website that charges (as you are doing), MSE are still telling people not to use a 'shyster' website.

As I see it, you are convinced that ukehic.com is a 'value service' website and I'm just as convinced that it isn't.

Do you have an answer to this?

Do you have proof of this?
    Have you ever required medical treatment abroad, didn't have your EHIC with you and the local hospital contacted DWP to check you had a card?

As per the link in reply #9, it appears that in Spain, it's sometimes impossible to get the same treatment as a local - even if you do have a EHIC.

So you concede that MSE don't have a better solution than the one I've suggested ? Finally I think we're getting some where.

The EHIC website has step by step instructions on how to access treatment when you don't have your physical card with you (or it's been lost or stolen), including numbers etc. I said in an earlier post it was advisable to take a copy of this information with you when travelling.

I'm providing no guarantee that hospitals will provide treatments even if you do have a physical card - that simply isn't the topic under discussion.

As stated before - you can choose to travel without EHIC coverage, but that could be a very costly mistake.
    Legal team on standby
  • Pollycat
    Options
    So you concede that MSE don't have a better solution than the one I've suggested ? Finally I think we're getting some where.

The EHIC website has step by step instructions on how to access treatment when you don't have your physical card with you (or it's been lost or stolen), including numbers etc. I said in an earlier post it was advisable to take a copy of this information with you when travelling.

I'm providing no guarantee that hospitals will provide treatments even if you do have a physical card - that simply isn't the topic under discussion.

As stated before - you can choose to travel without EHIC coverage, but that could be a very costly mistake.
    I'm not conceding anything.
    If MSE thought it was a better solution to do as you think they would give the website address that you gave in reply #21.
    They didn't (because it's a shyster website and they warn people not to use them)

So where does the aforementioned DWP come into it when you don't have your EHIC?

I guess you don't have an answer to the question I've asked twice.

I don't think anyone who is aware of the EHIC and what it is would be stupid enough to travel without it.
    Too many people are under the misapprehension that EHIC negates the need for travel insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport