Refund promised by Ocado driver, used the item, refund never happened.

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Jelli wrote: »
    Have you ever been given something free only to find you've paid for it? I wanted to buy another thing but now I don't have the money, so I've lost something.

You ordered It initially. It didn't just show up.

This just sounds like buyers remorse for buying expensive vinegar and now you're trying to get a worker in trouble for your mistake.

The only people buying £52 vinegar should be people who losing £52 is a drop in the ocean, and if they did lose it it wouldn't bother them or make them want to 'cry in front of a Ceo'
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 May 2017 at 9:01AM
    Options
    The reason for not wanting the item was a change of mind, and in the past customer services have said I can refuse any items on the door.
    Realised you didn't need balsamic vinegar because there was one already in the cupboard? Nope, because then you wouldn't have opened the expensive one. Realised you'd bought a much more expensive one than you thought by mis-clicking? Maybe.

What puzzles me is the idea that the driver can make these discretionary decisions to refund people. Maybe in the case of a substitute that the customer doesn't agree with but not with change of mind - isn't that just an opening for drivers to treat their favourite regulars? If it is Ocado policy - then I bet there's a limit on the amount so you might be right if the driver agreed a discretionary refund without realising that it was over that limit.

Which means you haven't been ripped-off. You ordered an item, paid for it, it was delivered and you have used it.

What's gone wrong is that the verbal agreement with the driver wasn't within the rules. He didn't check and if it didn't go on the delivery sheet (which would prove the driver's error) then yep - you're hoping for goodwill. Better buy some expensive salad leaves next run to match the vinegar.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are some unsympathetic posts here, I know why people feel that way but I don't get the feeling in this case that there's anything more to it than you've told us. Sadly, without proof it might be difficult for you to get what you say you were promised, but if you purchase regularly from Ocado and a £52 bottle of vinegar is way outside your normal pattern of purchases then asking them to examine your records may lead them to make a goodwill gesture in your favour.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you would have a much stronger case if you had not used the vinegar, but checked first whether or not you had received the refund before using it.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    But all these delivery vans, even Ocado ones have a sticker on them 'Cash is not carried on this van' or words to that effect, so how would drivers refund customers
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    They do it on the doorstep with their machine and then it gets credited back by the store.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    amersall wrote: »
    They do it on the doorstep with their machine and then it gets credited back by the store.
    Yes, the refund will be to the customer's account-not in cash.

As others have said, the driver probably didn't realise the price of the item when he offered to refund it.

Not really surprising considering it was vinegar!

I'm guessing £52 was above the limit he is allowed to refund on a single item without reference to the shop.

Regardless, I can't see the OP has any case for a refund having used the item...
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    i cannot understand they OP saying they did not want it and wanted a refund, but still went ahead and used it. They complain that they still want a full refund.

you wont get a refund as if they do refund you then that would open the flood gates

' I opened a tin of beans and had them on toast, i now want you to refund me for the tin of beans and the loaf of bread'
  • Jelli
    Jelli Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 May 2017 at 12:19PM
    Options
    i cannot understand they OP saying they did not want it and wanted a refund, but still went ahead and used it. They complain that they still want a full refund.

Because it was given free when I refused delivery due to a change of mind a few hours earlier, not after consuming it. Have you never swapped things in your shopping basket at the last minute?

The only mistake I made was assuming nothing could go wrong because it was a big company, and the driver had a kind nature, and 3 people were involved.

By the way I finally got a refund after 15 emails, 6 webchats, 3 phone calls, 1 Twitter message and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Glad to hear you got your refund. Was the partridge marinated in the vinegar then pearwood smoked? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure