🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update on prices.

I've just done a comparison and noticed the top shopper price has increased since my last comparison less than a month ago

For same amount of kWh my prices have altered as such

Baseline 529.88 (was 529.81)
    First year promise 483.42 (was 514.80)
    Top shopper 391.34 (was 370.16)

The result of this top shopper increase means my discount that needs to be achieved to reach top shopper rate has decreased from 30.1% to 26.1%. That's a rate I can just about believe is achievable now

However it now means that powershop top shopper is only the 6th cheapest tariff available to me (if it is indeed achievable)

Cheapest for me is outfox zapp July at 22 pounds cheaper than powershop top shopper

Though these small differences are negligible over a year it illustrates how competitive the electricity market is at the moment

Powershop is only really competitive if we can be positive top shopper rate is achievable

My prices don't alter until October 15th. By then a whole new set of tariffs and prices will be available
  • nicknike
    nicknike Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I did scan through the pages, enough to get a good idea. There is no way I can get a good idea of what the costs will be. From what I read, it involves regular effort each week and then the best tariffs are not achieved. It's a gimmick and I'll leave it alone. If you get a bit lazy, it can cost a lot.
  • nicknike
    nicknike Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Compared to other companies there are reams of info..
    Links please.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicknike wrote: »
    I did scan through the pages, enough to get a good idea. There is no way I can get a good idea of what the costs will be. From what I read, it involves regular effort each week and then the best tariffs are not achieved. It's a gimmick and I'll leave it alone. If you get a bit lazy, it can cost a lot.

I log on every day - I don't need to - I just want to check if any new Powerpacks have been released and if they are worth buying.

Without an account it's difficult for you to see what's involved. It takes minimal effort to keep on top of your account once you know what's going on. Others will back me up on that I'm sure.

The best way to think of your Powershop account is a bit like a PAYG mobile phone. You need to keep the account topped up with credit and, at various times, chunks of discounted credit are offered for you to buy or not buy depending on your level of credit, the discount on offer and your likely consumption.

It sounds complicated when you don't have an account but it's not really - I promise.

If you're the sort of person who wants to sign up, pay a single monthly DD and do nothing else, then Powershop Pro (where you buy Powerpacks) is not for you. Powershop Lite might be but I'm not sure how competitive that is compared to other 'normal' suppliers.

Powershop Pro is not 'normal' - it is for people who are prepared to take an interest in their power consumption and who will take the time to understand how PS Pro works and then save money.

If you're not prepared to put a bit of effort in to understand how PS Pro works then sadly it's not for you.

It's not a gimmick. All those negative reviews out there are probably from people who have signed up and not bothered to understand how PS Pro works (and probably why PS introduced PS Lite.)

You makes your choice and you pays your money:)

If you want to pay a fixed DD every month PS Pro is not for you; if you want to get a bit more involved in understanding your consumption, then PS Pro might be for you (and you will save money.)

Your choice:D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @fewkeste
    When I did a comparison, Powershop Lite was more expensive than the normal npower fixed tariff (£60 more per annum for Lite or 10% more). So it wasn't worth it (for my usage/area)
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 August 2018 at 10:47PM
    Options
    I don't login to the Powershop website every day because I receive notifications on my Android phone and on my desktop PC as soon as a new Powerpack is released. As I am 16 weeks in credit I can take a relaxed attitude so do not check frequently.
  • fewkeste
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @fewkeste
    When I did a comparison, Powershop Lite was more expensive than the normal npower fixed tariff (£60 more per annum for Lite or 10% more). So it wasn't worth it (for my usage/area)

Yes I can quite believe that Powershop Lite is uncompetitive. I can't understand why anyone would bother with it.

People think Powershop Pro is difficult but those of us who are on the 'normal' Powershop system (now called Pro) know it's not that difficult at all.

It seems to me that people who are NOT PS customers get all worked up about it whilst we who are already on it, know that it's no big deal.
  • fewkeste
    Options
    neilsedaka wrote: »
    I don't login to the Powershop website every day because I receive notifications on my Android phone and on my desktop PC as soon as a new Powerpack is released. As I am 16 weeks in credit I can therefore take a quite relaxed attitude.

Yes, I've heard people get an email notification when a new Powerpack is released - I don't. Did you do anything on your account to enable email notification of new Powerpacks becoming available or did it always happen from day 1 of your online account?
  • neilsedaka
    Options
    It was a while ago since I set it up, but it was something like this.

1. Installed the Powershop UK app from the Play Store on my Android phone.
    2. Ensured that notifications were enabled.
    3. Received Powershop notifications on the phone.
    4. Installed the AirDroid app from the Play Store on my Android phone.
    5. Installed the Airdroid desktop client on my Windows 10 desktop PC.
    6. Ensured that Powershop UK notifications were enabled in AirDroid.
    7. Received Powershop notifications simultaneously on the phone and on the desktop PC.
  • fewkeste
    Options
    @neilsedaka Thanks very much - now I need to do some homework and reading:D

Am I correct in thinking this is the only way to get notifications?

i.e. is there nothing I can do just on my laptop only to enable notifications without involving the Android app and AirDroid?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure