Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Equites wrote: »
    It took 7 weeks from start of supply to getting access to the online account.
    From a customers perspective it's impossible to know who is at fault for the delay as Powershop & SSE have accused each other - the basic reason from both parties being that the other did not submit the right paperwork.

You could ask PS to estimate how much discount you've lost out on as a result of the delay (quite easy for them to calculate) then put in a written (email) complaint to both Powershop and your old supplier. After a period of time (six or eight weeks I think) if neither pay up, you can refer the case to the Ombudsman.

It actually costs them money (£400 I think) when you refer the complaint to the Ombudsman so, if you subtly make it known when you complain to them that that is what you are prepared to do if you get no satisfaction, then that might make them more likely to compensate you (because it's cheaper to pay you than pay the Ombudsman referral fee.)

Good luck. Find the Iresa thread on these MSE forums and read that - there's loads of stories/tips about complaining to the Ombudsman on there.
  • nicknike
    nicknike Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Powershop have a tariff called 'Top Shopper', and the standing charges and unit prices are about the lowest I have seen. But how do I get onto this tariff?
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nick Nike. Top shopper is the rate you can achieve by buying all powerpacks that powershop offer you. When you switch to powershop you will be put onto a baseline rate. This is the rate you will pay if you do not buy powerpacks (very expensive).

However if you buy the powerpacks as powershop offer them you will achieve top shopper rate. Last year I even beat it

You will also as a new customer be given a kind of safety net called a first year promise.

This first year promise is the maximum you will pay if you don't buy enough or any powerpacks

I cannot emphasise enough though that as a powershop customer you MUST buy powerpacks. Powershop is a unique utility company that operates in a totally different way to other utility companies

There's reams of information on their website and contained in this forum
  • fewkeste
    Options
    nicknike wrote: »
    Powershop have a tariff called 'Top Shopper', and the standing charges and unit prices are about the lowest I have seen. But how do I get onto this tariff?

Tafrock's advice is sound. If/when you become a Powershop customer, initially buy all Powerpacks you are offered irrespective of the discount level until you have built up a bit of credit. Do not buy standard baseline power packs at zero discount.

Read the whole of this thread from the beginning to get a good understanding of the Powershop way - it will take time but I promise you it will be worth it. You will be a much better informed customer and in the best possible position to maximise your savings.
  • nicknike
    nicknike Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Read all 41 pages? There isn't reams of info on their site at all. I have also watched youtube videos. Lots of sales jargon, and they say I can buy energy as I need it. What nonsense. I use much the same energy each day (gas varies with season). I just want the cheapest price. I think this is a sales scam where people get lazy and they take advantage. Using there lowest tarif, it might save me £50 in a year over Eversmart. Not worth the hassle.
    I mean, when do these offers come up and what discounts? Can I buy packages straight away and get the cheapest tariffs? Too many unknowns.
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Keep it simple. Join Powershop. Buy all of the Powerpacks that have a discount.
  • Tafrock
    edited 23 August 2018 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Compared to other companies there are reams of info..
  • fewkeste
    Options
    nicknike wrote: »
    Read all 41 pages?

At the risk of making a pun - knowledge is power:)

I started this thread to learn about Powershop. You too can learn and then optimise your customer experience and maximise your savings.

You have to put the work in to acquire the knowledge - your choice.
  • Tafrock
    Options
    Exactly fewkeste. It's not like it takes a lot of time. If I leave powershop for another provider I shall miss the information they provide me with. It's extremely useful

It's not really work is it
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cuilean1 wrote: »
    I have just signed up with PS and am wondering how quickly you are able to access an online account to buy power packs? From earlier posts it looks like I should be able to purchase ahead of of switch over date, is that correct?

My PS supply went live on Friday 13 April, I could access the shop eight working days later on Wednesday 25 April.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback