A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I'm really fortunate with my mortgage as there are no repayment restrictions. Possibly because our rate is 0.16% above base so we aren't a great money spinner for the bank.
    DH just got a pa survey approved and thinks he is close to £20 payout so that will be another amount earmarked as a one day reduction. I really want shot of this mortgage. The original purchase price of the house was £43k in 1990. Various debt consolidations and a costly divorce sees it sitting where it currently is. I really need to get it below the £43k as only then will I possibly be able to stop beating myself up about so many wasted years and pounds!
    Today mr wii and I had our weekly conversation and I'm pleased to note no change. Another area that I need to tackle. Today will be a combination of work work and house work. I have things that must be done by tomorrow so I need to get a wiggle on. First thing though will be a check of the national lottery website, a girl can dream!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I like the mortgage logic too, small overpayments can add up. How many years to pay it off if you don't overpay?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,406 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    100% agree on gifts.

Yes, if I had still been with ex DH(!) my mortgage would be long gone.
    That really cheeses me off sometimes but it is what it is.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ooh, I like the mortgage idea too, that's great. Thanks for sharing!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    HHOD, i really don't know as my bank only gives me the date it would have been without OPing and, apart from last year or so, i had been OPing for about 18 months. Just got inbox£s up to £18.79!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good plan on the mortgage inod.

I agree with you on returning the gift. If you keep it you're only going to clutter your home up with something you don't want. If somebody returned a gift I had bought I wouldn't have a problem with it. Means I wouldn't be wasting my money. That's why I'll I buy vouchers or even give money as gifts if I haven't been given any guidance on what to buy or I'm not sure of personal tastes.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I agree about gifts. Most of the stuff I give to the charity shop is gifts and it seems such a waste. I prefer to receive money or vouchers and usually give those too, unless I am very sure of what the person wants.

Unwanted gifts you give to a charity shop or sell could be benefitting someone else who will love or use them.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    So so tired. I've been flat out work wise all week and tomorrow I head to dublin to work then to limerick to work there on Friday. It's approx 4 hrs driving each day which is just about doable. Saturday morning i need to do a few hours in my poorly but regularly paying client and hopefully that will be me finished with them pre holiday. Monday I'm back near limerick then Thursday I'm in dublin with tues and wed hopefully at home clearing up so much stuff. Yesterday, money was spent on lunch while working at a client site and on a top up shop. This evening dh mentioned holiday money for next week and got a lot of other finance related matters raised with him. Hopefully it'll get him into gear with regard to responsibilities that he's been abdicating. Anyhow, need to sleep.
    Tonight I am grateful for
    Invoices being paid
    A washing machine
    Contact from a former colleague
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you manage to get a rest soon!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sleep well. sounds like you need it.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family