A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,645 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done to your DD :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news for your DD (and the painting). Did you get the holiday? I will be happy for you if you did, I think you so deserve it.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great news for DD :T
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,645 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope that you got the holiday.
    Happy Friday :) xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I hate travel agents who won’t honour the on website price while continuing to advertise it. The holiday has not been booked but dh has been inspired to sort something out! Watch this space.

DD was dispatched yesterday after an expensive dinner to celebrate her achievement. We went to a restaurant that she has wanted to try for a few years and both she and dh really enjoyed their meals. Mine was ok given that it is an also ran to their core offering.

This has been a spendy week that included paint, plants, extra food and a little collapsible patio set that was half price at £30 and brought the spend at the diy store to the point where I could use a £10 off voucher so the cost to me was £20. For various reasons, I have lacked somewhere to sit outside and have a cuppa which I like to do. I will probably keep one chair collapsed and just have the one plus the table readily accessible.

I felt bad about the spend but I will get use. Why is it so much easier to spend more money on other people than anything on yourself?

I have lots of work to get through this weekend not least some invoicing. I also have my rescheduled facial at half eleven though I still have a voucher for this.

Today I am grateful for
    DD’s safe travels
    An ability to fund the meal out
    The dog not being too lost puppyish. She sometimes struggles when the offspring go back
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Congratulations to your DD and great that you treated her to her restaurant of choice to celebrate.

How annoying about the travel agent. :mad: Hopefully OH will come up trumps.

Why feel bad about the spend on the patio bits? It was a bargain and will give you a great deal of pleasure. You are entitled to treat yourself as you work so hard.
    x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    £30 (actually £20!) sounds like a really good price for a patio set and it should be in use for some years - think how may cups of tea that is! There's nothing wrong with taking care of yourself but (according to the course I've just done), Westerners sometimes have to be taught self-compassion because our culture stops us from knowing how to do it. Yet it's only when we can be compassionate towards ourselves that we can maximise being compassionate to others. (Can you tell I loved this course and am a bit evangelistic about it?!)
    Anyway, course aside...the travel agent certainly shouldn't be advertising products they can't produce to price. I look forward to seeing what your DH comes up with. :) Are you looking at local or further afield?
    Poor doggy and the rest of you... the house will seem a bit quiet for a while. Sending you a hug if that will help.
    Hope the facial is nice and you get all the invoices done. If it's as windy there as here you won't be doing them at your patio table but maybe you will still be able to sit out and have your cuppa.

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Well, a line has been drawn on the holiday discussions. The duration was increasing (meaning less money to be earned by self employed me) the likely spends while we were away were increasing and the final straw was when dh said that we could always make use of our savings. They aren’t savings, they’re an emergency fund!

So we looked around and are doing a 3 night European mini break at start of dec to a city with both a zoo and lots of Christmas markets.

We also have a mini break at the start of Oct to Leeds for a concert and possibly an excursion to the home of fat rascals. I’m also hoping to squeeze in a trip to dd pre Christmas even if just an overnight. Who knows, ds May even allocate me a time slot. The cost of the other holiday would have been around 280 hours of chargeable work for that client. I just couldn’t do it. The other advantage of the european mini break is that dh has a free hotel night, sufficient points for one more which means we pay for one night. This is in a 5 star hotel and more than I would pay for one night but very reasonable when divided by the 3 nights we will be there. Last time we stayed in this chain they also gave us access to the executive suite which fairly reduced our food costs too.

On other news, I went for my facial but paid cash as they threw in my file and polish for free so it was just under £25 and my voucher is for £50. That’ll do my next colour as it doesn’t expire. I didn’t get anywhere near the work that needed done but a plan is starting to emerge. I have an absolute deadline for tomorrow for a few things.

This morning I had my conversation with mr wii. I am now 6 lbs heavier than I was post bsd. I am at the diabetes clinic on Friday and will hopefully map out a plan to tackle further meds reduction that will allow for some managed exercise. Having said that, I am in my usual self sabotage mindset eating sugar almost constantly. I wish I could understand why I do this even after I recognise it.

Anyhow, I need to get underway.

Today I am grateful for
    Having work to be invoiced
    The kitchen being nearly put back together again
    The dog having adjusted well to the departures
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    DH has agreed that we will cover either the flight costs or the hotel costs from additional income and/or savings. Fingers crossed that one or two items may be sold on the bay, lunches may be made from stuff in the freezer, etc. I am just over the £10 in pa that covers my additional isa savings between now and year end so anything further earned from there, SB, etc. Will count.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    How nice to have free nails and some short breaks to look forward to! (Perhaps set up a very small pot labelled 'savings' to give your DH the message?)

Self-sabotage... I wish I understood it too. I spoke to a friend who is a counsellor, about my tendency to self-sabotage, and he thought about it and said he thought it would be possible to overcome it but it would be hard work. I think in your case, all that anger has to go somewhere? x

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure