Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kabayiri wrote: »
    She picks a better shadow cabinet.

Seriously, picking Diane Abbott makes you question the qualities Corbyn looks for.

Boris Johnson, David Davis, Amber Rudd, Jeremy Hunt?

Sure, Diane Abbott is a bad call, but I don't think May is making any better decisions.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Seriously, picking Diane Abbott makes you question the qualities Corbyn looks for.

As Herzlos said, you can't complain about Abbot and ignore the cretins on the other side.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,145 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another Labour politician (this time the leader) has no idea what their giveaway policies will cost:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40090520

Beginning to be a theme, Labour promises something to everyone but strangely what that might cost is not even worthy of consideration. Most can draw their own conclusions.
    I think....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Another Labour politician (this time the leader) has no idea what their giveaway policies will cost:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40090520

Beginning to be a theme, Labour promises something to everyone but strangely what that might cost is not even worthy of consideration. Most can draw their own conclusions.

That bias BBC again!
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options

What she's done is locked her biggest liability (Boris Johnson) in a big box and put a note on it saying 'do not open until 9th June'.

Corbyn would have been well advised to have stuck Ms Abbott in the same box.

You'll need to ask yourself a question in a few days. If May is so great at picking a cabinet then why, just a few weeks after picking her A-team, did she make so many changes to it after the election.

Hammond's going to do one, Boris will be going the same way. I wonder if David Davis might be replaced too - he's got far too much testosterone for a chap his age and needs to be replaced by a diplomat.
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Although they have been highlighting a piece on people who struggle to pay their rent recently with no background on their income and spending to show whether they are reasonably trying to live within their means. Why this looks like bias is they are not also running pieces on pensioners who are coping nicely given the real terms increase in their pensions over the last few years, even though there are probably just as many of them as there are rent strugglers.

If there was a policy where 99% of people would be better off I think the BBC would hunt down the 1% for a story. Then again I think most news organisations do that. News is about the exceptional and not the normal.

Man killed on commute is news. 99.99% of commuters made it safely to work this morning isn't news.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Joeskeppi wrote: »
    As Herzlos said, you can't complain about Abbot and ignore the cretins on the other side.

I personally have experience of working in the same place as Rebecca Long Bailey, and I wouldn't pick her in a million years.

Her best quality is a relatively thick skin, but then, the same could be said of a rhino.

BoJo is a loose cannon, but also an intelligent man. Can anybody name me one example where DA demonstrates intelligence?

As for the Marxist shadow chancellor, don't make me laugh.

Trying to be more neutral, I would pick the likes of Gordon Brown; Robin Cook; Frank Field; Mo Mowlam; over any of the current shadow cabinet.
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ukcarper wrote: »
    That just show how biased your views are, if you watch someone like Andrew Neil interview a political, he is just as critical and probing of Labour as he is with any other party.

You've named the most impartial interviewer they employ & cited it as an example of impartiality? Is that the best you can do? I notice you don't mention Dimbleby, who hosts the main political program each week & is so biased he appears in the Guardian today accusing the media of being right-wing & against Corbyn.

I have criticized both Labour & the Tories many times (obviously I criticize Labour more as the current lot are beneath contempt.)

I don't recall you criticizing Labour ever? Maybe I missed all those times? Or maybe it's actually YOU that's biased.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fella wrote: »
    You've named the most impartial interviewer they employ & cited it as an example of impartiality? Is that the best you can do? I notice you don't mention Dimbleby, who hosts the main political program each week & is so biased he appears in the Guardian today accusing the media of being right-wing & against Corbyn.

I have criticized both Labour & the Tories many times (obviously I criticize Labour more as the current lot are beneath contempt.)

I don't recall you criticizing Labour ever? Maybe I missed all those times? Or maybe it's actually YOU that's biased.
    Good point,
    I think labour know in labour strongholds they can sit back and do nothing and the votes still come in
    I always Remember labour agreeing to tax credit cuts ..
    rose tinted glasses and all that
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    Well I never thought I would vote Labour but in the end Mr Corbyn has got my vote. I did say in a previous post I did not think he was the person for the job but to me Mrs May is too undecided and wishy washy. Anyway my postal vote was sent off yesterday so thats me done for this election.

Also I live in a marginal area where the current Conservative has a majority of 500.

Sad to read that. I hope you (and the rest of us) don't live to regret your decision.

I guess if you are named Mable you are one of those pensioners that doesn't want to contribute anything.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport