Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    And in other news....
    Arsene Wenger: Arsenal manager agrees two-year contract

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40073103
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    LuckyG wrote: »
    Does anyone think there's any truth in this "garden tax" that has been highlighted in Corbyn's manifesto?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/810616/general-election-2017-jeremy-corbyn-council-tax-bills-homeowner-john-mcdonnell

Here's what the Express have built their story on from the manifesto.
    We will initiate a review into reforming council tax and business rates and consider new options such as a land value tax, to ensure local government has sustainable funding for the long term.

The Mail are helping out by allowing a Tory spokesman to estimate this will mean a massive 200% increase in council tax bills.

The manipulation is shameful but as more people will read the Express and Mail than the manifesto it may as well be the truth.
  • Takedap
    Takedap Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Another Labour politician (this time the leader) has no idea what their giveaway policies will cost:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40090520

Beginning to be a theme, Labour promises something to everyone but strangely what that might cost is not even worthy of consideration. Most can draw their own conclusions.

(paraphasing)
    Q: How much will the child care proposal cost?
    JC: Give me a minute & & confirm it & tell you.

as opposed to;
    Q: What will the cap on care cost be?
    TM: I do know but I can't tell you until after the election.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Experts have previously warned that a Land Value Tax would force home owners to sell off their gardens in a desperate bid to lower their bills
    that ridiculous ..how can you sell your garden?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,296 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone think there's any truth in this "garden tax" that has been highlighted in Corbyn's manifesto?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/810616/general-election-2017-jeremy-corbyn-council-tax-bills-homeowner-john-mcdonnell

The way it's reported is nonsense. The value of a plot of land isn't determined just relative to it's size, but by the size of the property which it could accommodate (with planning permission). To estimate the lands value, you might ordinarily take the value of the property less the rebuild cost (which is usually obtained during a bank's valuation).

Having said that, as an alternative to council tax, it's a very silly idea as it bears even less resemblance to the local services used or ability to pay than the current system.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,296 Forumite
    Options
    Fella wrote: »

All that suggests is that the people employed by the BBC have a liberal-left bias. It is possible to divorce your own views on something from the way something is reported. The BBC realize they are employing left-leaning people, have make a conscious effort to avoid this affecting their reporting. Newspapers generally don't.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fella wrote: »
    You've named the most impartial interviewer they employ & cited it as an example of impartiality? Is that the best you can do? I notice you don't mention Dimbleby, who hosts the main political program each week & is so biased he appears in the Guardian today accusing the media of being right-wing & against Corbyn.

I have criticized both Labour & the Tories many times (obviously I criticize Labour more as the current lot are beneath contempt.)

I don't recall you criticizing Labour ever? Maybe I missed all those times? Or maybe it's actually YOU that's biased.
    I haven't posted much on the GE threads but I did post that although a long time Labour voter I would not be voting Labour this time.

As for Dimbletby I don't think he is that biased I just think he does a very poor job on question time, bring back Sir Robind.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be voting conservative regardless and I'm a registered nurse, I'm happy to keep the tiny 1% pay rise and have someone half decent running the country. Small sacrifice to pay I say, especially with some of Corbyn's beliefs.

Can you honestly say you are happier with the Tories approach to the NHS than Labour?
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Can you honestly say you are happier with the Tories approach to the NHS than Labour?
    She just did. ;)
    I'm happy to keep the tiny 1% pay rise and have someone half decent running the country
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    It will put small businesses out of business because they simply cannot afford to pay people that much extra - don't forget there is extra costs involved too, NI, the pension opt-ins etc.

As for the bigger black market - there are many farms and trade gangs etc that pay cash for their workers, and a lot of people will only work for cash. A lot of people, even in this day and age, willingly work for less than the legal minimum wage. If that minimum wage increases, then more people than ever are going to be willing to work for LESS than the minimum wage, as I said before this is especially prevalent in the immigrant population, especially the ones that come from eastern European economies. The minimum wage in Poland is about 450 euros per month, in Romania it is less than 300 euros per month. Those people come over here, live in hovels - often 20 plus per house, and send the money home. They do nothing for the economy and are often treated badly.

Living in Surrey probably gives you an insite in to this.
    However I thought that British people objected to these Romanians and Poles working in Britain and claiming child benefit while their children still live in their home Country's. They can't do that if they are on the black.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure