Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    and some of you are stupid for simply accusing corbyn and labour of bankrupting the county when you have no idea of how it will all play out.

as for companies moving out the uk immediately on a corporate tax rise you are having a laugh, are these the same companies that should already be gone as we are leaving europe?
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fella wrote: »
    The BBC is funded by a tax we have no choice in, therefore ought to be 100% independent.

What tax would that be?
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,287 Forumite
    Options
    and some of you are stupid for simply accusing corbyn and labour of bankrupting the county when you have no idea of how it will all play out.

as for companies moving out the uk immediately on a corporate tax rise you are having a laugh, are these the same companies that should already be gone as we are leaving europe?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/05/15/jp-morgan-buys-dublin-office-room-1000-staff/
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They've deliberately been vague on figures because they intend full well to raise certain taxes & don't want to say what.

Why commit to raising taxes when you don't know the amount you need to raise. So many unknown variables. Providing that the measures introduced are equitable and fair. Then someone on a living wage should be ok with contributing more.

Labours child care policy sounds great. A real vote winner. As not means tested either. 1.3 million children between the ages of 2-4. That's one heck of a commitment in staffing and facilities costs. With the minimum wage set to rise to over £10 under Labour policy. Then of course NHS staff are going to receive increased pay as well. Which will bring the rest of the public sector out on strike. As why should nurses be treated differently to other groups. The interconnected nature of their policies is starting to look seriously questionable.

All set against the expectation that this years budget deficit will be higher than last years.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,287 Forumite
    Options
    The BBC is funded by a tax we have no choice in, therefore ought to be 100% independent.

Actually, it's quite easy to avoid the TV licence fee these days. Buy a monitor rather than TV and get you content via Netflix/Amazon/All4/ITV hub or whatever.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »

and it states only 500 are employed in london, this building will cater for 1000, it also states it doesnt know if this is for job creation of movement.

Therefore this is a non story
  • Fella
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May 2017 at 6:52PM
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Why commit to raising taxes when you don't know the amount you need to raise. So many unknown variables. Providing that the measures introduced are equitable and fair. Then someone on a living wage should be ok with contributing more.

Precisely. The Tories were stupid not to cost their manifesto as I already posted earlier on this thread. Dumb over-confidence that's made them vulnerable even against such a half-witted opposition.

Edit: Just re-read what you wrote & realised I misread.

So to answer your question, I think, for the reasons we've seen. In other words the Tories released a manifesto modest enough in their spending intentions they could easily have costed it. Rather than do so, they chose to simply leave it uncosted & give themselves maxiumum maneuverability. I think that was a big mistake as it allows Labour to simply say "you haven't costed anything" then leave the TV stations/newspapers to do their work for them.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Leaving aside the accuracy of your (inaccurate) figures the free press have the right to be as biased as they like. You're perfectly entitled to open an uber left-wing (if that's your thing.......) newspaper tomorrow & if you make it so compelling you takeover 99.9% of the printed press then that would be fair enough.

If you truly believe 90% of the free press prints right-wing material, you shouldn't be complaining about it. You should be asking yourself why 90% of your countryfolk appear to want to read about views that you're on the left of.

I didnt say it was left wing, I just said it wasnt right wing.

My view of the bbc is they tend to be slightly biased to whoever is in power at the time, and this hasnt changed.
  • Fella
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ukcarper wrote: »
    And that from someone who claims to be civil and not rude.

Just because of a missing comma and a missing was.

Generally I try to be just a little more civil than whoever I'm talking too.

You chose to have a pop for the 2nd time today so it was pretty careless of you to do it in such an amusingly illiterate way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure