feel so stupid

Options

Comments

• Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Sam M

Ask your mum or close friend what your special interest or talent is. You probably don't know like I don't know mine but if you ask someone else they will probably tell you. That way you will be half way to knowing what your strengths are. People like to know that in interviews too.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its hard to really be passionate about a lot of professions, ie what sort of person would you have to be to be passionate about dentistry or accountancy or plumbing, some jobs are just for money. I could persue a higher job than what i do but it wouldn't be tax efficient or worth commuting for or training for. I find investing far more efficient, and commuters are mugs
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    Sam M

Ask your mum or close friend what your special interest or talent is. .

That's possibly the most stupid thing I have ever heard or read.
  • Towser
    Options
    That's possibly the most stupid thing I have ever heard or read.

Why? Are you an authority on this?

If not savant most Autistic people have a special interest or talent. Like my son.

Sam M don't be bullied by the uneducated on this forum.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    Why? Are you an authority on this?

If not savant most Autistic people have a special interest or talent. Like my son.

Sam M don't be bullied by the uneducated on this forum.

The only person coming across as uneducated is you.

The OP has stated a few times they have interests in working with people and in travel and tourism. They don't need mummy to tell them this. They know their own interests.

Their issue is that they cannot function on a social level to accommodate this. They could have found the perfect 'people orientated travel and tourism job' and still kicked off that they could haven't a holiday in an inappropriate way.

They were quite keen on a job in the service industry. That's not the problem.

The problem is that they are not reacting well to the issues that life and employment will throw at them. Asking their mum what their good at isn't going to solve this.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think where possible it can do autistics good to get out there and be as independent as possible, as i think they can adjust and i think a lack of independence can suppress them
  • sam_m
    sam_m Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Well i have been out today with my friend and we had a drink at this pub and played two games of pool, one game just me and him and then without knowing them this lad and his son asked if they could do a double game so that was good fun and more social then i have been for a long time. I also spoke to this girl up in town and she was nice so it was a good way to start the easter brake
  • Towser
    Options
    The only person coming across as uneducated is you.

The OP has stated a few times they have interests in working with people and in travel and tourism. They don't need mummy to tell them this. They know their own interests.

Their issue is that they cannot function on a social level to accommodate this. They could have found the perfect 'people orientated travel and tourism job' and still kicked off that they could haven't a holiday in an inappropriate way.

They were quite keen on a job in the service industry. That's not the problem.

The problem is that they are not reacting well to the issues that life and employment will throw at them. Asking their mum what their good at isn't going to solve this.

Unbelievable - this makes me so sad.
    Autism is a difficult concept that is why it is called a hidden disability. It's Autism awareness month so here goes:
    The problem is that they are not reacting well to the issues that life and employment will throw at them.

This is socially unacceptable. Essentially what Autism is so he cannot deserve a job? That is why only 15% of Autistic adults get jobs.

We know what interests him but don't know his "special interest" "talent" or "savant quality" maybe whatever it is if he has one. Not everyone has one. Which is why I was asking. Using this knowledge employers are more likely to employ him and support him. The job would be engineered to suit him making use of his "special interest" "talent" or "savant quality" and accommodate Autistic qualities good or bad as they are different thinkers.
  • Towser
    Options
    Well i have been out today with my friend and we had a drink at this pub and played two games of pool, one game just me and him and then without knowing them this lad and his son asked if they could do a double game so that was good fun and more social then i have been for a long time. I also spoke to this girl up in town and she was nice so it was a good way to start the easter brake

I'm glad you are having a good day.
  • Towser
    Options
    I think where possible it can do autistics good to get out there and be as independent as possible, as i think they can adjust and i think a lack of independence can suppress them

I agree, it's a lot of what my son's therapy/education is all about but it does depend where on the spectrum one is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure