PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of spending has occurred and now I only have £18.05 left of the budget to last till the 27th, but I have just gone 5 days without any grocery spends and am taking active part using up what's in your cupboards/freezer challenges so it is certainly possible to last till then.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD again here :)

Have made some Chocolate Cups filled with a Raspberry Chocolate Ganache and decorated with fresh Raspberries - blooming Yum.....
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been a bit lax about posting this month, mainly due to a busy couple of weeks at work and then a lovely,lazy week on my holibobs.
    My spend so far including self catering on holiday is £113.23/£140.
    This has been three weekly shops and a few odds and ends I can't get at Aldi.
    I've got a good stock of essentials and a pile of super cheap veggies so I'm hoping for one small top up before pay day.
    I'm off for another week and my aim is having a 'use up' to fill the freezer with easy,healthy meals for when we're back at school and work.
    Today I've made 6 jars of marmalade ( bit of a cheat as I used Ma Made),hummus and a job lot of tomato and basil sauce. I'm also having my first go with lentils so there's a huge veggie chilli in the slow cooker.
    Have a,lovely Easter weekend
    PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've added £120 to my total, which I have to confess is partly guesswork. Informed guesswork maybe, but guesswork all the same. I know I spent £90 at the market this morning, which was partly for some good solid Easter feast supplies (we have between 1-3 extra mouths to feed for the next 5 days) and I'm guessing at £30 on various supermarket dashes; the dratted place is only 200 yards up the road!

DD2 is making eggs for everyone, and I got sent up there for more chocolate, and cream for the ganache filling, today. (There was no chance whatsoever to get down into the city for inexpensive chocolate; we were basically gridlocked inside our little town thanks to "holiday" traffic. Luckily eggs etc. from us and for the egg hunt had already been bought, weeks ago.) Plus OH is working an extra day and needed some rolls to take in tomorrow, and I wasn't going to be able to make any with DD2 having taken over the entire kitchen. And I'm working Sunday, 50 miles away... Anyway, I can't find the receipt, or remember exactly how much I spent, so am adding £30 to be on the safe side; I know it was something over £20. Will correct when the receipt turns up...
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Options
    £2 yesterday on reduced, stilton, liver and chorizo
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • scaredy_cat_2
    Options
    Hi I used to lurk here a few years ago when my spending was out of control. We've had a complete change in circumstances and there's a lot less money in the house. My budget is £400[/ but I have been regularly going over which means taking from other budgets which then has consequences. I am good at meal planning and doing a thrifty Lidl shop then in between I pop to Sainsbury's for a few things I can only get there and that's when it goes to pot. I write down spends but sometimes not straight away which is where it must go wrong. I've had a good read the last few days at this site and have just made a list of what I've got. I cook from scratch for meals and packed lunches. I don't have a meal but do have a kitchen aid so can make bread quickly So really just thought I'd say hello and explain where we are at. There's me, dlh and dad 14 and 11 😊
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,360 Forumite
    Options
    My mid-month update is that I have spent £161 out of a projected £200 this month. However, my overall year's spending includes stores - placing me at 31.46% against an end of month target of 33.33%. Just 1.87% left - or £56.10 against my annual budget of £3000 left. Ambitious but doable.

We are eating lots of salad and I will need to buy more for workday lunches. Got loads of protein in so just salad really. And bowl fruit...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2017 at 8:53PM
    Options
    A spendy couple of days from the bulk buy stash. Musclefood for chicken breasts - I was panicking. Then my favourite butcher for new season lamb, Gloucester old spot sausages and a few other bits.

I need to get in fruit and veg, bake a loaf of bread, but I should have enough milk for a few days.

The 'drinks' bit of the budget has taken a hammering from Pepsi max. I tried to give up and failed epically.

£208.87/£250 this month. But that's only notional as I have an annual budget and I'm way under.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD from grocery budget today - did spend just under £6 on a Birthday card and little gift for a friend we are meeting with tomorrow

Baked Camembert with HM bread, olives etc yummy but so filling :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    two more tiny shops for me, £3.68 and £3.89.
    I was feeling really quite pleased and then remembered my gannet nephew is staying next week so he'll want crispies and stuff, so next weeks shopping will be big. I don't mind tho, he's a poor student and i'm happy to treat him.
    while I seem to have grocery shopping under control something is going wrong cos I've nearly spent all my wages and it's only the 15th! saying that travel to hospital on weds cost a small fortune and there'll be more of those to have steroid injections :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure