PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rather more spending over the weekend. Some freezer basics and storecupboard. The plan to give up Pepsi Max in March reallly didn't happen, and it's not likely to. I've switched to large bottles to decant. A bit cheaper. But still too much.

£85.17 so far.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD here :)

I have just realised that I don't need to buy that much this week Easter weekend is just Hubby and I, so just some yummy bits to have during gardening breaks :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Not a nsd for me today, boo!! Went to aldililly and the only food I bought was a pack of chocolate brioches for our breakfast on Tuesday, as I don't think the airport will be open at 4am!!

Total for April now £23.85/£80 :):)

PG x

Ps - oh is treating us to takeaway tom eve, so there'll be no washing up. Bonus!!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd yesterday. yippee! xx
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Will that be just £30 for the month. Really don't know how you do that - it's very impressive. I've been secretly trying 'forever' to do £40, but never get close. Hope you get the fridge freezer.

No more spends for me. Gonna try n last as long as I can - maybe another week hopefully.

Yes its £30 for the month. I started in before last Christmas by completely sorting out everything I already had and making a proper pantry unit in my spare room. Then only bought what I actually needed. In January I did as use up challenge and was thrilled to find I didn't use my budget so had a months grocery money in advance.

I am lucky in living just a few minutes walk from Asda and know what time is best for reductions so stock up when I see something good. Often get cod, haddock and salmon for about 50p a pack,
    The best time for me to go is around 3pm on a Sunday. I only use bread for toast so usually manage to pick up a loaf for 10 or 20p and that lasts me ages. Last week I got 2 trays of 15 large free range eggs for 68p. 4.1/2p each. Some I have frozen for omelettes and quiche, I just whisk two together and freeze in small pots.

I only drink back coffee so don't need to buy milk so don't have the temptation to pop out for a loaf or milk, usually the biggest culprits for needing to pop n the shop and come out with stuff I don't need.

I like to buy the 1kg gammon pieces from heron, 1.49 for two. If you sort through you can often find actual joints. Loads of really cheap meals there.

I grow my own herbs on the windowsill all year round and fruit and veg in the garden in summer.

Best of all I only need to shop monthly now I used to go daily, then just top up fruit veg and of course my YS when its something good.
    Slimming World at target
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really need to log in to this thread more often as I'm totally off the rails at the moment. I opted for £150 for the month which should be doable as there are only two of us and I've still loads in the freezers and cupboards but I've already spent £137.98 which only leaves 12.02 for the entire month :( What I need is will power.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £4.71 yesterday in lidles on bread, milk and reduced stuff and £1.18 today in coop on reduced veg.
    I need to pick up a few bits tomorrow but as long as I don't shop when hungry it should be quite small, I know when I shop hungry I buy loads
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD here again :)

Having a veg use up tonight - roasted veggie lasagne and HM bread
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bought creme fraiche for the goats cheese tart (trying this recipe: BBC Good Food goats cheese, potato and onion tart) and some of DS's favourite sausages. Resisted the ready made pastry and have home made chilling in the fridge while I cook the potato and onion!

Also have got the rest of the chicken off the leftover roast from yesterday, closely watched by the dog :rotfl:. All going more or less to plan this week. Must be careful as when things are going well, I get reckless!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £68.82 for me so far this month. More than I was planning for at this stage of the month but Easter holidays and kids at home making it trickier. Planning to reign it in during second half of the month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure