PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Went Aldi for cauli and eggs, total spent £10.55, should take me past Easter.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did my 'Easter' shop today at Aldi just under £80, this included 4 Easter eggs and a litre of Gin ;) with the associated Lemons and tonic :)

Fridge clearing Frittata and Winter 'Slaw tonight - used up all the 'fridge gravel'
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    I have had 8 no spend days - for groceries anyway!

Today £11.15 for meat at the farm shop. I will be off to a discount supermarket for my main shop tomorrow. Meal planned through to next Wednesday so am hoping to keep the budget quite tight.
    Signature reflects today's spending.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 April 2017 at 8:25AM
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    I'm aiming for £250 this month! Usually I spend around £60-70 but since I have more free time and a second freezer I've been spending about £50 on average and I want to record it and do it properly to keep it at £250. We are a family of four.

This week I've just done shopping which came in at £49. Quite chuffed as I had a £10 voucher off if I spent a certain amount so I made it up to £50 (5 weeks = £250) with the voucher taken off and added extra (so not for this week but will be frozen) sausages, chicken, fish fillets, beef burgers, pizza and I still was under £50 limit! So fingers crossed next week will be a really cheap week and I'll smash the budget at this rate :)

Spent £45 this week plus £49 from last week, I also bought toilet roll and meat during the week (for a guest coming up) so total is = £104 so far.

Had a bit extra to spend as above to get my voucher so got some burgers incase we have a BBQ, extra chicken and sausages...so a bit of extra meat for next week.

Going to be eating like kings this week with the meat I had frozen from last week despite me doing this on a budget. :T

The burgers I bought last week turned into a BBQ with friends too, chuffed a bit as they wanted to go out to eat and it would have cost us £30+, so us providing a bit of food actually saved money - also doing this next week as MIL invited us out to eat so we invited them round for tea instead which again would have cost us £30+

I don't have another code now till after 26th so fingers crossed next week will be under £50, it should be as I have a meal plan + meals left over + more meat on the shopping we don't need yet. Hoping to get next week even lower really.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    £25.95 spent since last check in. Hoping the budget will last.

£84.56/£150.
    £65.44 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    £36.23 goceries bought at the supermarket today. It is so much more enjoyable buying less, as it is much easier to pack and then put away. I think I have still bought more than we needed really but I have allowed for more eating going on over Easter! It was quite difficult to ignore all the Easter special meat offers on today and stick to the menuplan. I had to tell myself that they will be on offer again soon probably. This challenge is really good for giving me a bit of extra self discipline with this.

I cut the huge pork joint I bought yesterday in half and have frozen it for another week. I still have fish, minced beef and pork hocks in the freezer, to take me through the month. Plenty of butter, flour and eggs still in stock for baking. We use the breadmaker for all our bread which helps to keep me out of the shops. That and the fact that I live miles from a supermarket.

I am enjoying reading how everyone else is getting on too :)
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD here :)

Thriftwizard missed your news about your DS - what a fab achievement x

Homemade Beer battered Cod and chips with Tartar Sauce here tonight :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £56 today covering my share of the Easter eating (my Dad chips in too which fab!) so far this month £124/£160
  • donkids22
    donkids22 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive been so busy this is my first update
    aldini 4/4 = 50
    icelandic 4/4= 16.00
    aldini 11/4 = 39.64

That make my total for the month so far 105.64. Trying to eat out of the freezer and cupboards so i can defrost the freezer ready for moving home and trying to keep the money in our pockets and not the supermarkets
    If you dream it can you do it????????
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been to A1di, Tesc0 and Sainsb all in one day! Got the amazingly cheap potatoes, cauli, broccoli and courgettes at A1di (29p each) and leeks and carrots were down to 19p! Also got cheese, pate, tuna, hot cross buns, loo roll and laundry gel in there. £27.57 altogether, but less than £23 was from the groceries budget.

Called at Tesc0 just for a favourite drink that nowhere else does. Sainsb for the rest. Got some larger portions of mince and beef for casseroles which will do two meals. Forgot to say, I tried adding red lentils to bolognaise which was a complete success so 750g mince will now do 2 meals (for four of us) rather than 1 and a half! £58.93 in Sainsb so total is now £253.68, but I should have some meat, pittas etc. to put in freezer for next week.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport