We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I spend someone else's Clubcard vouchers?

Options
Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 21 February 2017 at 5:59PM in Food shopping & groceries
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
Since I bought my house I've been increasingly receiving the previous owner's post. Despite my best efforts to track her down, returning mail and contacting the senders, six years later I'm still getting mountains of it. Recently, Tesco Clubcard vouchers have started coming through and I'm tempted to open and spend them to make up for the time and money I've spent trying to stop her mail.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• cheesetoast
    Options
    No! Just keep writing "Not known at this address" and sticking it back in the postbox.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh jeez, not another one.
    Is this really the best "dilemma" you can manage?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mickey54
    Options
    Theft ...however you look at it
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Next weeks moral dilema.

Moved in just before Christmas. Should I open the previous occupants Christmas cards in case Granny put a tenner in.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the amount of post you're getting for her is increasing and the Clubcard vouchers have only just started to come through then she is giving out her old address to companies.
  • New_York_No1_fan
    Options
    you cannot spend another person's clubcard vouchers without producing your clubcard. Simples!
  • giannileone3
    Options
    Hand them in at your local Tesco customer service desk and they will be able to get in touch with her considering she is obviously still shopping there, otherwise she would not be receiving vouchers.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    If addressed to the occupier you open and keep. If addressed to a named person you forward/return/hand in to Tesco.
  • maggie226
    Options
    On the subject of opening someone else's mail, I guess it is highly illegal to open mail not addressed to you.

I moved house recently and I received an item of post addressed to someone who had left the address over 11 years ago - it was in fact the vicar. I could see "Statement of Account" through the window and I thought if someone owes money on this house I want to know about it.

It was in fact a statement of account with a deposit of nearly £2,000 of church funds in it. So I rang around and eventually got the current vicar who was overjoyed as it was money they had lost track of.

Perhaps I will get my reward in heaven:!
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    you cannot spend another person's clubcard vouchers without producing your clubcard. Simples!

I think you mean without producing THEIR clubcard...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport