Ready To Do This

Options

Comments

• ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    catandy wrote: »
    ok today is d-day reference my redundancy my consultation meeting is 2pm today and I've been informed that another 9 people have been put under consultation measures this week so it looks like the company is in trouble. I fully expect to get my figures today and be out of the business completely by next week

what else is going on? well ive just paid most of the bills for the month and have 2260 left in my account - need to put some leccie on the meter today (40) - food wise we are ok for this week apart from bread and milk ,,, I think I buy this every couple of days we seem to go thru it so quickly. son again is away for weekend - goes on Friday and back late Tuesday this week so its starting to feel like he has moved out but sort of forgot to tell me.

car tax and insurance cancelled so that's all good and car sold to a mechanic on the estate I live who will use it for parts - got 150 for it so win there as well.

now I just need to put work to bed then start making a decision regarding what job I am going to do next so I know what im doing. OH said yesterday his favourite quote that at his time of life and with his work history he will never find anything job wise in the economy as it is. I cant really see that he has even looked or tried to do anything about finding something. I need to put a time limit on this and do something to pull this situation to an end. that is going to be left until I feel a bit stronger jobwise for myself and so on.

Hi i have been reading your dairy and think you are fantastic at keeping this all together, as far as your Oh he needs to pull his finger out you have 20k of debt and one income

there are jobs out there if people really want them but the problem is some people dont want to do them sadly, when i was unemployed i started posting leaflets for 3 local businesses i was getting paid £80 for every 1000 I posted, i was also working for dominoes in the evenings and two days at a car wash, i was bringing in around £350 a week which took a lot of pressure off

can he try to do any of the above jobs what about dog walking/sitting

I have a friend who has not worked for 2 years and when i suggest the above jobs he thinks they are below him and is happy staying on jsa some people just have it to easy

good luck ill try post as much as i can
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • catandy
    catandy Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    he can do any job but is too bone stinking idle to even look much less take any of them.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was out of work for a while I was applying left right and center but did get very disheartened. Eventually I took a temp admin job (let's just say it was less than half my usual salary - just to keep on top of bills and take some pressure of husband. I ended up staying and working my way through several departments before leaving a few years later as they just couldn't get their heads around that I was capable of running the whole customer ops when I'd been a temp admin a few years earlier... might also have annoyed a few folks by doing their jobs better than them when covering for them... oops.

Point is that I went from a very respectable salary to peanuts as a minimum salary temp doing basically data entry and checking. (Think their first hint they were getting a bargain was when I'd caught up 2 weeks backlog in 3 days and then started running out of stuff round lunch time and there were no errors... when bored I started writing them a process document and still left early every day... )

I needed to pay bills, so I took what I could find. I'm now back in a senior role for a different company and I use that experience as a unique selling point. I can give good reasons for why I took that job, and now I can explain how I learnt a new industry from the bottom up with a unique insight to the processes as I provided cover for so many different departments...

If you want work - it's there (at other times I have also done night shifts in retail outlets, admin for haulage comp and been self employed - sometimes one door closing is just because you should be looking for the right door and you weren't ;) )
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • catandy
    First Post
    Options
    just got back from my first consultation meeting - there are no alternative suitable vacancies so I am being made redundant at the end of the month. I get my figures next week - they are holding weekly consultation meetings with me until I go and I can take off time as needed to go for interviews.

that gives me 3 weeks to find something - I may take a self employed position for now till I can find something employed with a decent salary - it means I'm doing something and will have income coming in to live off. I freelanced/ self employment for 12 years in the past so well aware how it works and that I am capable of doing it - ive only been back in the corporate world for the last 3 years so changes again :)
  • catandy
    First Post
    edited 3 February 2017 at 10:47AM
    Options
    just got my figures confirmed from work for my redundancy and its a bit more than I originally thought - 6295.

I've also got orders from OH at 3am this morning that I need to buy another bed mattress cos he cant sleep on the one we have - memory foam top mattress that makes him feel like he is sleeping in a hole.... It's less than a year old and I don't have an issue with it so I think this may become the reason that this all comes to a head and gives me a chance for an ultimatum to do something or ship out. I'm not spending any of my redundancy payment on replacing something that doesn't need to be replaced.

logically thinking including my redundancy payment and the money I have the balance stands at 9276 total. yep that gives me 5.5 months from now to find an income so im sure as hell not wasting any of it on wants for the OH that does nothing to help.
  • catandy
    First Post
    Options
    just had a job offer - working for a surveyors office that's just 30 mins drive to work and a good basic with bonuses - im going to take it and im speaking to them this afternoon to agree a start date - happy is an understatement!!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    catandy wrote: »
    just had a job offer - working for a surveyors office that's just 30 mins drive to work and a good basic with bonuses - im going to take it and im speaking to them this afternoon to agree a start date - happy is an understatement!!

That's amazing! Well done you!

As for OH - tell him HE can go out and earn the money for a new mattress.

Should things go further down hill with OH then try to work out how you can potentially prevent him from claiming half of your redundancy as a marital asset if possible. :(
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • catandy
    First Post
    Options
    got some moneysaving stuff done this pm by taking all the small change and paying it into the bank - another £42 and a few pence credited to the account so all good.

spends today were just cleaning stuff - flat gets a blast this weekend and eats this weekend are from supplies - grill up tonight and a chicken chow mein with oodles of stir fry veggies tomorrow to use up all the stuff lurking in the veggie basket in the fridge.

bills paid for the month and leccie in the meter - will have to fill up car with petrol (80£ but that gives me just over 400 miles so will last for the rest of the month).

all going well :) - so relieved that I have a job lined up to go to. I finish where I am 28th feb and start date for new one is 1st april so I could just take March off and chill a bit or I could find some freelancing work for the month to keep me out of mischief - don't know yet, im thinking on it for a bit.
  • catandy
    First Post
    Options
    I've just opened an account with YNAB - I used to use it in an earlier guise so its taking a bit of getting used to again. I also need to get back to giving each £ a role and accounting for where it all goes. So time to track it all and see exactly where it goes.
  • catandy
    First Post
    Options
    Another 50£ paid off pre-paid credit card so that should now stand at around 50£ to clear it completely - which I hope to do by end of the month.

I go and sign my contract for the new job tomorrow morning and then all I have this week is the consultation meeting at work on Thursday when I have my redundancy pay-out explained to me - which will not take long to run thru, I've had it in writing so I really cant see as there is much to talk about..

OH and I are barely talking, he cannot see why 'I am making a fuss' about him contributing/ finding a job... Enough said I think.

and apart from all that life just ticks by.. nothing exciting happening at all - which is pretty much normal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure