🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Electric cars

Options

Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

I looked at the SMMT website just after the data was released ... amazing how 'snobbish', 'uninterested' or 'anti-EV' their publications actually paint them to be ...

... third best selling vehicle in the UK for the month of August from a manufacturer that's been selling considerably more vehicles than many other marques in their various reports for quite some time and all the provider of sales data & other statistics is capable of providing is a catch-all category of 'other'!! .... quite shocking & bordering on pathetic really, but I suppose that they don't want to upset the long-standing members by highlighting deficiencies!

HTH
    Z

As I understand it, the use of 'Other' is due to Tesla not allowing the release of regional sales figures of their individual models.

So it's not something SMMT are deciding to do....
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    For an agricultural setting - two batteries (one in use one on charge) /SNIP/

I hitched a ride on a helicopter flight from Bournemouth to Exeter a couple of days ago. Fascinating, and great views, but one of the things I noticed was the number of agricultural buildings with solar panels (plenty more to go mind).

Quite a good synergy with electrically powered machinery, particularly since production rises at a time when demand is higher. Self use might also require less in the way of upgrading by the DNO.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    A petard is not nautical. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard

And the word wot Shakespeare wrote is "hoist", not "hoisted".

Does that then mean (ironically) that I've been hoist(ed) on my own petard. :eek:

From now on will you be writing in Shakespearean 'english'?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    From now on will you be writing in Shakespearean 'english'?
    Nay, verily. But I will try not to misquote him.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 September 2019 at 10:27PM
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »
    As I understand it, the use of 'Other' is due to Tesla not allowing the release of regional sales figures of their individual models.

So it's not something SMMT are deciding to do....
    Hi

Maybe, but it doesn't stand even basic scrutiny.

If it was the case that they had no idea of the make & models then there'd be little or no confidence in the categorisation of sales ... for example, without knowing the vehicle model being analysed there's absolutely no way to allocate the category correctly, however it's pretty obvious that the registrations of BEVs has increased significantly, therefore it's either a pure guess (which raises questions on SMMT data integrity!) or the make, model & variant is actually known, in which case inclusion of Tesla sales as 'other' is unwarranted ... whichever is the case, the SMMT is seemingly withholding information for some reason or other ...

Now, moving on to data sources .... the SMMT has access to manufacturing & registration data from various sources ... presumably the registration analysis results from anonymised data sourced from the UK's official vehicle registration authority, which would include make, model, variant & colour for the vehicle & registration information to allow ownership analysis (business. private, fleet etc) .... the alternative being guesswork which would lead to inaccurate analysis, but yet they seem to be able to have a degree of confidence in the accuracy of both their new & used vehicle sectoral analysis, which tends to reinforce the point made previously ...

Considering analysis by region - maybe this is an 'apparent' issue which is related to the Tesla sales model being centralised as opposed to being through dealerships, however, the same distribution & registration model actually exists elsewhere within the analysis, which if it were to be the case would invalidate the whole dataset & resultant analysis .... yes, direct fleet sales & manufacturer fleet lease & centralised operation schemes would actually skew regional analysis to exactly the same degree, especially so in the commercial vehicle sector - but that seems to cause no problems! ....

... haven't come across any logical reasoning for excluding a marque & individual platforms from the analysis yet & it's not as if this is the first month that sales have happened or sales are insignificantly low to warrant measure as we're considering the 3rd highest selling model in the UK last month, so it's not really a typical 'tin-foil-hat' position to take to question why they can correctly segment, classify & analyse the data they have, yet somehow 'forget' to create detail line items for one particular brand! .... ;)

Odd really! ... I wonder whether they'll look to rectify their ongoing 'error' soon!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see this thread is still going around in circles.....

Anyways I thought I share how our X has got on as the main family car.

The X is now 2 years old and done just shy of 28K in that time.

48658137362_844a1f4cd4_z.jpg

Daily commute is 10 miles, the majority of trips are weekend family trips/holidays etc.

The interior of the car is hardly worn, even with white seats and accommodating a toddler daily and extended family every few weeks.

48658126837_1e9b85b9c4_c.jpg

48658128032_34b2d93e30_c.jpg

48658128457_feefd1a304_c.jpg

Exterior cannot say I’ve noticed any more stone chips than what’s expected, and overall am surprised at the lack of even parking dings etc. For a 6 seater family wagon it doesn’t look half bad especially with black wheels.

48657991406_118ff9c6de_b.jpg

48658136132_4826f5fb9f_b.jpg

The car has however been back to Tesla for various issues picked up at delivery, this is the list I noticed shortly after delivery. For some bizzar reason Tesla choose to short these issues out one at a time rather than one big service visit, which meant lost of wasted Service/Loaner time from Tesla.

*1: Boot not shutting without alarm.

*2: Steering wheel damaged needed to be replaced.

*3: Drivers seat 'rocking' needed to be replaced.

*4: Very loud rattle from drivers A pillar needed A pillar rebuild.

*5: Wipers not aligned.

*6: Door sensors not the most uptodate, prevented software updates, needed to be replaced.

*7: Both sun visors rattled and needed to be replaced.[/list]

Since these issues have been sorted the car has been fine, the last issues is the ‘yellow glue band’ around the 17inch touch screen which I believe is still an issue with many cars been made today. Am told Tesla have a fix coming but its not ready yet, the band doesn’t effect the use of the screen but you can see it at the top of the screen. Tesla have told me there will be a more permanent fix at some point in the future.

48657989336_bb9ca1357d_b.jpg

In addition I’ve have had the HEPA filter and CCS retrofit done by Tesla, both were pretty reasonably priced and done by a mobile range rather than me having to visit the service center. I’ve also swapped out the front speakers for some Focal units which have really improved mid-range sound quality.

Overall our car has functioned perfectly as the main family car, I see very little reason to swap it for a while yet, the car hasn’t been 100% perfect but since the delivery issues have been sorted visits the service center has been few and far between. There’s no rattles or noises.

The main warranty on the car runs out at 50K/4 years, the battery/motor is under warranty for 8 years. I’ll probably pay the £3300 Alliance wants for the extended Tesla warranty shortly as I can see us keeping this car for a while longer yet, and long term wise I think the overall reliability will be better than my old BMW but not close to my wifes Lexus which has had 0 issues in nearly 5 years.

I have no worries about keeping the car till 2025 especially with an extended warranty, its the only car I've owned that I consider a 'keeper'. It's not perfect, but no car is, considering the X is only 2nd car Tesla produced its pretty good effort.

By the sounds of some Model 3 delivery issues, Tesla appears to still not have learnt delivering a fault free product at handover saves them a whole load of follow up time, but as for the final product, I have no complaints.

48657991491_070beb8aab_b.jpg
    ]
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nice little doc on YouTube from Deutsche Welle here, frankly admitting that Germany's motor industry has 'lost the plot' regarding BEVs and EV motoring.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXjVxaKzv4
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Being lazy just mentioning something I watched yesterday, but the new Mini-E (being sold as a Cooper S version/equivalent) is also priced the same after plug-in grant as the petrol Cooper S, around £25k.

That sounds very interesting to price them similarly. The car is shortish range (130 miles I think), but equal pricing, nice.
    That is an interesting approach.... yesterdays' Sunday Times had a feature which attempted to compare electrics with equivalent ICE and the price difference was noted and that in some cases they calculated the savings on fuel/energy would not offset the higher purchase price unless you ran the car for a good number of years.

Grant Shaps was featured with his new Tesla Model X and hinted that the plug-in grant might disappear soon in favour of better investment in public charging infrastructure.
    I need to think of something new here...
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    Options
    Can't see the article as behind a paywall, but I'm guessing they are just looking at the list price difference and saying it would take X months to make up the difference in fuel savings?

Of course it completely ignores the fact, as with most things let alone cars, that a more expensive EV will have a higher resale price than a less expensive ICE.

It's the difference in depreciation costs that's important.
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    That is an interesting approach.... yesterdays' Sunday Times had a feature which attempted to compare electrics with equivalent ICE and the price difference was noted

I bet they didn't actually compare like for like.

Our X was £71k, available in 7 seater option, sub 5 second 0-60 time, the closest combustion car is a SQ7, £73k before options. The SQ7 will have also have much higher running costs.

The other EV we would buy right now if we weren't saving up for a house renovation would an AWD LR Model 3, 4.4 0-60 time, £44k. Closest combustion car is a BMW 340i, which is slower to 60, also £44k. Again the Model 3 has much cheaper running costs.

If you compare slower EVs yes they are more expensive to buy, but if your use to buying higher performance combustion cars (like I am), EVs are already on par with equivalent purchases costs however tiny running costs in comparison, its a win win to switch over to EVs if your interested in performance cars.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure