Electric cars

Options

Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    If the other networks were the same as Tesla's, then my nearest charging point would be 45 minutes way (on a good day).

BTW this is in London, not the back of beyond.

Does that include Tesla destination chargers?

I take it you are comparing Telsa's supercharger network, to all other networks though? That's hardly fair! Where's your closes, say, Ecotricity charger? How about Instavolt? Or Engenie? How many stalls do they offer? What charging speeds do they get? How many issues have you seen reported on the CCS stalls at the nearest Ecotricity location?

All networks have issues with coverage. Tesla however, excel at providing large numbers of stalls that are well maintained, regularly updated and provide the fastest charging speeds. Those were the aspects I was alluding to.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »
    Does that include Tesla destination chargers?

I take it you are comparing Telsa's supercharger network, to all other networks though? That's hardly fair! Where's your closes, say, Ecotricity charger? How about Instavolt? Or Engenie? How many stalls do they offer? What charging speeds do they get? How many issues have you seen reported on the CCS stalls at the nearest Ecotricity location?

All networks have issues with coverage. Tesla however, excel at providing large numbers of stalls that are well maintained, regularly updated and provide the fastest charging speeds. Those were the aspects I was alluding to.

No, the nearest destination charger is 6 miles away - 20 minutes at least.

I'm not comparing Tesla's network to anything, just pointing out that "If other car/charging companies were able to provide the same infrastructure as Tesla do...." they would all be useless to me.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Some numbers from Luxembourg

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1393191.html

Nearly 250 Tesla vehicles were registered in the last six months, making up roughly half of the sector's activity.

Electric cars are becoming increasingly popular in Luxembourg: 549 electric cars were registered in the first six months of 2019 compared to 430 cars in 2018.
    END QUOTE
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yup, choice is the biggest issue with EV's at the moment.....but, apologies, I don't see what that has to do with my original post? I was pointing out how the current public infrastructure is inadequate and how companies should be looking at Tesla to see how it could work more successfully.

The Renault is fine by the way...but then I don't have much of an ego so I guess those sort of things don't bother me. I guess barely driving it helps! Probably more the fact that It's basically costing me nothing to travel about!

I plan to sell it in the next couple of years to go towards a Model 3 when they come to the used market :) Debating whether to sell it now for a profit...or wait....I enjoy having access to a car again!
    I suppose the point I'm making is that the Tesla package is impressive, but it's a model that's currently based on expensive, uneccessarily large cars that most people can't afford. Hopefully the technology will filter down. Real world 200 mile range for £20k new might do it for me.

And a Renault would be fine for me if it ticked the right boxes. I currently drive a nondescript Japanese hatchback and brands mean little to me.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Some numbers from Luxembourg

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1393191.html

Nearly 250 Tesla vehicles were registered in the last six months, making up roughly half of the sector's activity.

Electric cars are becoming increasingly popular in Luxembourg: 549 electric cars were registered in the first six months of 2019 compared to 430 cars in 2018.
    END QUOTE
    Which, I'm sure, has nothing whatsoever to do with...
    https://delano.lu/d/detail/news/luxembourg-rolls-out-new-electric-subsidies/201434
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My employer offers a leasing scheme, called Eco something leasing. Ironic as not one BEV on offer. The nearest is the Kia Niro hybrid at around £650/month for 10k miles/annum.
  • DrEskimo
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    No, the nearest destination charger is 6 miles away - 20 minutes at least.

I'm not comparing Tesla's network to anything, just pointing out that "If other car/charging companies were able to provide the same infrastructure as Tesla do...." they would all be useless to me.

I'm not sure how you took my comment to mean "if other car/charging companies were to position their chargers in only the same locations as Tesla Superchargers", but for clarity I was suggesting that if other car /charging companies provided multiple charging units at each location, had rapid, constantly upgraded charging speeds and maintained them well it would be better.

My comment was also in the context of long distance travelling around the country.
  • DrEskimo
    Options
    shinytop wrote: »
    I suppose the point I'm making is that the Tesla package is impressive, but it's a model that's currently based on expensive, uneccessarily large cars that most people can't afford. Hopefully the technology will filter down. Real world 200 mile range for £20k new might do it for me.

And a Renault would be fine for me if it ticked the right boxes. I currently drive a nondescript Japanese hatchback and brands mean little to me.

Not a million miles away with the new Corsa-e and e-208. Looking to be around £24k with 50kWh batteries that could do 200 real world in anything but very cold winter months. Probably closer to 180 in <5degree weather.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,222 Forumite
    Options
    Not a million miles away with the new Corsa-e and e-208. Looking to be around £24k with 50kWh batteries that could do 200 real world in anything but very cold winter months. Probably closer to 180 in <5degree weather.

The E208 starts at £25,050, (after the £3,500 grant), whilst the 208 petrol model starts at £16,250.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been openly critical of the Bolt, or rather GM, as I hoped it was a real car, but it seems to be more compliance than a genuine effort by GM to make a serious move - but, if it's just a compliance car, then hat's off to GM for upgrading the batt by 21 miles without changing the price, and it was already a decent car. Maybe the General is getting serious, that would be good news.

Chevy Crams 6 kWh More Batteries Into The 2020 Bolt For 21 Miles Of Extra Range
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback