Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    shinytop wrote: »
    and £50-80k to spend on the car...

Well £37k now with the Model 3.

My point is that Telsa highlight how well an EV can work if it's done right.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    30kWh Nissan Leaf, Lincolnshire to Devon, 270 miles each way. Stopped twice on the way down and three times on the way back due to charger locations. No problems two years ago.

64kWh Hyundai Kona, same trip last week, one half hour comfort & coffee break each way.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any suggestions for a good car leasing company for premium electric vehicles? Some adverts seem too good to be true!!!
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »
    Well £37k now with the Model 3.

My point is that Telsa highlight how well an EV can work if it's done right.

I agree up to a point, but my point is that EVs, especially Teslas, are too big and too expensive. Even £37k is way out of reach for almost everyone in the UK, let alone less prosperous places.
  • DrEskimo
    Options
    I agree up to a point, but my point is that EVs, especially Teslas, are too big and too expensive. Even £37k is way out of reach for almost everyone in the UK, let alone less prosperous places.

There are >20 different EVs on the market today, not counting hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and the different variations of the models with different battery capacities. I would put it to you that making sweeping generalisations are not conducive to any meaningful debate...

But generally speaking, yes I agree EVs are expensive to purchase, relatively speaking (I don't understand the size comment...my Zoe is a lot of things, but too big isn't one of them!).

But again, that wasn't the point I was making. If other car/charging companies were able to provide the same infrastructure as Tesla do, then you wouldn't need to buy a £37k+ EV to get a reliable, fast and easy EV ownership experience. Tesla highlights how badly the other manufacturers, and charging infrastructure, have failed....
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Options
    If other car/charging companies were able to provide the same infrastructure as Tesla do, then you wouldn't need to buy a £37k+ EV to get a reliable, fast and easy EV ownership experience. Tesla highlights how badly the other manufacturers, and charging infrastructure, have failed....
    If the other networks were the same as Tesla's, then my nearest charging point would be 45 minutes way (on a good day).

BTW this is in London, not the back of beyond.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    If the other networks were the same as Tesla's, then my nearest charging point would be 45 minutes way (on a good day).

BTW this is in London, not the back of beyond.
    TBF, in London, 45min is about a mile.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    TBF, in London, 45min is about a mile.
    8 miles plus in this case. I did say “on a good day”!
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There are >20 different EVs on the market today, not counting hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and the different variations of the models with different battery capacities. I would put it to you that making sweeping generalisations are not conducive to any meaningful debate...

But generally speaking, yes I agree EVs are expensive to purchase, relatively speaking (I don't understand the size comment...my Zoe is a lot of things, but too big isn't one of them!).

But again, that wasn't the point I was making. If other car/charging companies were able to provide the same infrastructure as Tesla do, then you wouldn't need to buy a £37k+ EV to get a reliable, fast and easy EV ownership experience. Tesla highlights how badly the other manufacturers, and charging infrastructure, have failed....

Your Zoe is the exception and there will be more like it in the next few years. Before the Model 3, the yardstick for EVs was an £80k large SUV or an £80k large saloon. Now it's a £40k mid size premium saloon. All I'm saying is that the yarstick needs to be even smaller and cheaper. I've already had a PHEV and considered an EV to replace it but most (I agree there are exceptions) are, so far, too expensive and too big for what I want now. And I couldn't quite bring myself to buy a Renault. ;)
  • DrEskimo
    Options
    Your Zoe is the exception and there will be more like it in the next few years. Before the Model 3, the yardstick for EVs was an £80k large SUV or an £80k large saloon. Now it's a £40k mid size premium saloon. All I'm saying is that the yarstick needs to be even smaller and cheaper. I've already had a PHEV and considered an EV to replace it but most (I agree there are exceptions) are, so far, too expensive and too big for what I want now. And I couldn't quite bring myself to buy a Renault. ;)

Yup, choice is the biggest issue with EV's at the moment.....but, apologies, I don't see what that has to do with my original post? I was pointing out how the current public infrastructure is inadequate and how companies should be looking at Tesla to see how it could work more successfully.

The Renault is fine by the way...but then I don't have much of an ego so I guess those sort of things don't bother me. I guess barely driving it helps! Probably more the fact that It's basically costing me nothing to travel about!

I plan to sell it in the next couple of years to go towards a Model 3 when they come to the used market :) Debating whether to sell it now for a profit...or wait....I enjoy having access to a car again!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback