We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I’m taking control of my life, now.

Options

Comments

• JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on coming in under budget! Do you think you'll still manage this month without the Christmas leftovers or will you need to keep a closer eye? It is a short month, though!

I did laugh at the hangover and incident. Only because it brings back memories of hideous hangovers I've had.. ��
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Hi Boxofpaws! I'm following your diary with interest because we seem to be starting from a very similar position. I love your Good Things, Bad Things record for each day, reading through them all made me think how much of debt busting isn't about making the repayments once a month, it is the little things that we do every day.
    Good luck with your journey, I've subscribed :)
  • 117pauline
    Options
    Congratulations on a very successful first month. I think you are probably right about your focus being higher at the beginning of the year/challenge so I have a couple of suggestions.

... as you have quite a bit of your debt on 0% having paid your balance transfers, how about keeping a note of how much each card has gone down by? You don't have to do it in your diary but on your own spreadsheet (you did say you were a spreadsheet girl, didn't you?) So then you can see it going down and your plan is working.

... as you have a new job, no wonder you are tired. My local library has over 200 magazines you can access online including lifestyle, health and fitness. Perhaps yours does too? Gives you a bit of diversion at no cost.

... pop over to the OS boards for some meal ideas but mainly look at the "Eating from you cupboards and freezer" thread to meet loads of us who empathise with the 20 packets of chicken seasoning!!

Finally it seems to me you have now truly had your lightbulb moment. You have obviously thought about what does or does not work for you. Everyone is unique and if your plan is making changes stick and reducing your debt, it sounds like you both are both on the right track.

Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Hello boxofpaws :wave:,

I've just read your diary through (off today) and really enjoyed the humour with which you write. I have subscribed. I wish you luck as well as success.

My last really bad hangover was after my friend's 40th birthday. I got into the taxi, got home, and somewhere between there and home, I lost my shoes. I know I was too drunk to walk in them but no idea what happened after I took them off. Then, four hours later I went into work and felt so terrible, all day that day and for two days afterwards. When I ventured out with friends the following night, they were laughing at some of the things that had happened. I could remember nothing. It was a bit of an epiphany moment. I am supposed to be a grown up. I don't drink to oblivion any more. I am older than you by some measure though :)

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope your hangover is better lol, I am 40 and I swear they get longer to get over them now!

Well done on budgetting. You're going the right way xx

Its a 24 hour hangover! I still feel poo this morning. Its so unjust.
    Hope you feel better now! I am 40 and my last hangover was a monster :(

That adage 'getting drunk is just borrowing happiness from tomorrow' is so true
    Hangovers when you get older seem to be around a lot longer ! Well done on coming in under budget for the month.

Thank you. I've always been a lightweight though :o
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »
    I did laugh at the hangover and incident. Only because it brings back memories of hideous hangovers I've had.. ��

Ha ha, I will forever refer to it as the 'incident'.
    Hi Boxofpaws! I'm following your diary with interest because we seem to be starting from a very similar position. I love your Good Things, Bad Things record for each day, reading through them all made me think how much of debt busting isn't about making the repayments once a month, it is the little things that we do every day.
    Good luck with your journey, I've subscribed :)

Hello GeorgianaCavendish, I do think we have a similar attitude about the situation which is why I'm enjoying your diary too.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    Hello boxofpaws :wave:,

I've just read your diary through (off today) and really enjoyed the humour with which you write. I have subscribed. I wish you luck as well as success.

SL

That's so lovely. And you're right. I am hilarious
    117pauline wrote: »
    Congratulations on a very successful first month. I think you are probably right about your focus being higher at the beginning of the year/challenge so I have a couple of suggestions.

... as you have quite a bit of your debt on 0% having paid your balance transfers, how about keeping a note of how much each card has gone down by? You don't have to do it in your diary but on your own spreadsheet (you did say you were a spreadsheet girl, didn't you?) So then you can see it going down and your plan is working.

... as you have a new job, no wonder you are tired. My local library has over 200 magazines you can access online including lifestyle, health and fitness. Perhaps yours does too? Gives you a bit of diversion at no cost.

... pop over to the OS boards for some meal ideas but mainly look at the "Eating from you cupboards and freezer" thread to meet loads of us who empathise with the 20 packets of chicken seasoning!!

Finally it seems to me you have now truly had your lightbulb moment. You have obviously thought about what does or does not work for you. Everyone is unique and if your plan is making changes stick and reducing your debt, it sounds like you both are both on the right track.

Pauline

I really appreciate your thoughtful post. I will answer your points
    1. You are right. I am a spread sheet girl indeed. I am absolutely going to do what you suggest, I am chomping at the bit to in fact. I was waiting until all the balance transfers had gone through, I also don't know yet when Tesco will take their first payment, so I am not sure exactly what the figures are yet. It took ages for some of the balance transfers to go through because we didn't realise you had to activate the card! Also there are some final interest payments on the old cards. I hope to get the numbers up in the next week or so, so that I can track the total going down as I make payments.
    2. I didn't know about the online stuff at the library. I have quickly checked it out, and there are loads of e-books. Its a GREAT suggestion, thank you
    3. I used to do some of the OS challenges, esp the grocery challenge. The only trouble is I am trying not to set myself targets, because I always aim too high and then fail. Also, the threads were lovely but I could never keep up with them, which made me feel guilty. If there is a quieter thread, I might join that.

I'm trying not to obsess over everything. I know if we try really hard, we could pay off £1600 a month. I also know we could pay off £1100 and not even notice. So I am not setting a target and hoping it falls somewhere between the two.

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm always amazed when people spend time to help. :A
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    I have a total! We have just had a push and closed off the last of the cards. I now know all balances of credit cards, we can see the balance of the loan and I have just pulled out the HP agreement on my car to work out the payments

Here goes
    Barclaycard me 4213.65
    Lloyds - me 6960.27
    MBNA me 7747.74
    New Tesco 8216.06
    Loan 1 8055.7
    HP 3820.30
    Santander Closed - 00
    Halifax Closed - 00
    Husband MBNA Closed - 00
    Husband Barclaycard Closed - 00

Total 39013.72

So that's reasonably horrific, but considering my first post in 3 years was '£45k of debt - how?', I consider this a positive. Our initial debt was probably in the region of £42k so I will update my signature with £42k as a staring point, and watch the number go down.:T

Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fantastic! you're doing really well.
  • 117pauline
    Options
    I am glad you found some of the ideas useful. Just keep doing what works for you. I use the OS as a source of ideas along with Pinterest, not so much with the actual challenges themselves.

I have the impression you are both thinking about what you are doing. The idea of £1100 per month without too much pain sounds great. It's sustainability you need.

You mentioned Groupon and I have even used them in Spain, France and Belgium whilst on holiday. I managed to nab a couple of Village Hotel breaks for us as well so we have something else to look forward to.
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family