PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

I eventually relented and popped the heating on mid-afternoon as there is a limit on how many layers I'm prepared to wear and the fleecy slipper boots are back on:mad:.

/QUOTE]
    I've had the heating on today as well. I always find it harder to deal with when it has got a bit warmer and then gets colder again!
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    I almost managed to stick to today's planned food.

I fancied something sweet in the middle of the afternoon and so did some porridge and stirred some strawberry jam in for the sweetness. That's the second time recently that I have done that when I wanted something sweet. It is probably better for me than making crumble and having it with custard or ice cream, or going out and buying cake or biscuits.

The only problem is, I burnt the roof of my mouth so badly trying it that it has blistered and is really painful. I hope it is a bit better in the morning or I will have to plan tomorrows food around an almost liquid luke warm menu, and I do so like to drink my tea and coffee really hot.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a duel fuel gas hob and electric ovens/grill - I used to have an electric hob but you can't beat gas for control likewise electric for ovens. I dread the day when it goes phut.....

I'm officially jealous, oh to have gas cooking at home! :cool: It would be top of my list when designing a new kitchen.

Over the 6 days we were away we had glorious sunshine and snow :eek: thankfully we were well kitted out for all and comfortable.

I've lots of aches and pains from all the extra activity but feel overall great for it. Managed to slice the tip off a finger though...ah the joys of outdoors adventures haha :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I almost managed to stick to today's planned food.

I fancied something sweet in the middle of the afternoon and so did some porridge and stirred some strawberry jam in for the sweetness. That's the second time recently that I have done that when I wanted something sweet. It is probably better for me than making crumble and having it with custard or ice cream, or going out and buying cake or biscuits.

The only problem is, I burnt the roof of my mouth so badly trying it that it has blistered and is really painful. I hope it is a bit better in the morning or I will have to plan tomorrows food around an almost liquid luke warm menu, and I do so like to drink my tea and coffee really hot.
    Poor you - try iced water with a pich of salt as a rinse to cool it down
    katkin wrote: »
    I'm officially jealous, oh to have gas cooking at home! :cool: It would be top of my list when designing a new kitchen.

Over the 6 days we were away we had glorious sunshine and snow :eek: thankfully we were well kitted out for all and comfortable.

I've lots of aches and pains from all the extra activity but feel overall great for it. Managed to slice the tip off a finger though...ah the joys of outdoors adventures haha :D

I used to love camping when I was in the Guides but these days a flushing toilet in situ is a must LOL - my days of a bucket at the back of the outside of the tent or a welly walk with a torch are well over....
    :cool:
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2017 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Oh if I won the lottery an AGA or a Rayburn would be bought!!! I've a very old Belling "Range style" cooker but it is just not the same though I do love it....

Aw! Shucks! My house had a Rayburn when I bought it - and I couldnt wait to get it ripped out and gone. Still - 3 years would have been a long time to keep it hanging around in order to say to you "You can just have it if you want it - if you can get it across country to you". Oh well....

Personally - I wasn't even going to try to cook with it. I'd only clapped eyes on a Rayburn or Aga literally once in my life before moving here and wouldnt have had the foggiest idea what to do with it. So brought my old freestanding electric cooker with me and have now got a built-in electric cooker replacing it. Mind you - I daresay I wouldnt have had the chance of trying anyway. Reason being it was oil-fired and I think the mean little vendor would have made sure they got the last little bit of oil - even if I hadnt said I intended to get rid of it.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aw! Shucks! My house had a Rayburn when I bought it - and I couldnt wait to get it ripped out and gone. Still - 3 years would have been a long time to keep it hanging around in order to say to you "You can just have it if you want it - if you can get it across country to you". Oh well....

Personally - I wasn't even going to try to cook with it. I'd only clapped eyes on a Rayburn or Aga literally once in my life before moving here and wouldnt have had the foggiest idea what to do with it. So brought my old freestanding electric cooker with me and have now got a built-in electric cooker replacing it. Mind you - I daresay I wouldnt have had the chance of trying anyway. Reason being it was oil-fired and I think the mean little vendor would have made sure they got the last little bit of oil - even if I hadnt said I intended to get rid of it.
    lol thanks :)- my friend's sister has a Rayburn it works on wood/coal or oilin the winter they use it to heat the house and cook with it but it's off in the summer so they also have a hob/oven. They are very rural and frequently get cut off by weather and get power loss so they wanted to make sure they could heat and cook as there is no mains gas. Of course if I won the lottery I could have a summer kitchen and a winter one;)

Foodwise I'm still using bits up so breakfast has just been toast with hummus and some of the beetroot I cooked on Sunday. A different meal from what I would usually have at this time of day but I enjoyed it.:) Lunch will be the last of the quiche, a mug of the soup and no doubt some more beetroot. I love fresh steamed beetroot....
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've been having chopped beetroot with virtually everything recently as I love it.

My favourite is beetroot and horseradish risotto - with a smattering of peas for colour.

I cheat though and buy it ready cooked as it just seems like too much faff to cook - I think I'd end up with a purple / pink kitchen from all the juice :o. I'd love to hear tips for keeping down the mess.

I've got a really great Oxo Good Grips box chopper for cubing veggies to get the beets cut small enough for salads etc.
    :hello:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Today is turning into a wasted sprt of day

I decided to wait in for my parcel, fed up with keep missing it, and went on line for it to be delivered to local newsagent "just in case", sort of belt & braces

Now just checking where it is, it is in now blooming Chelmsford :mad:, the local depot is about 8 miles away, the newsagent is about 1 mile away, Chelmsford is nearly 100 miles away, and not suprisingly parcel will now be delivered tomorrow, "As I requested" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: looks like another wasted day tomorrow

Breakfast was pate, using it up and expecting a knock on door anytime for parcel

Made another banana loaf, not so good this time, and expecting a knock on door anytime for parcel

Lunch was very last of pate, with nearly the last of cold pork in a sandwich, and expecting a knock on door anytime for parcel

Dinner will be the YS chilli I bought yesterday, and NOT expecting a knock on door anytime for parcel

Good job I have a lot of bits in so will not starve tomorrow, expecting a knock on door anytime for parcel

FUME & FUME, good job I am on my own or cat / dog / child / wife would be in for an ear lashing ;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Today is turning into a wasted sprt of day

Now just checking where it is, it is in now blooming Chelmsford :mad:, the local depot is about 8 miles away, the newsagent is about 1 mile away, Chelmsford is nearly 100 miles away, and not suprisingly parcel will now be delivered tomorrow, "As I requested" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: looks like another wasted day tomorrow

FUME & FUME, good job I am on my own or cat / dog / child / wife would be in for an ear lashing ;)
    I feel for you. I really hate waiting in for a parcel to be delivered. It's that feeling of being trapped in the house and unable to go out if you suddenly get a desire to go somewhere. Lucky you've got stuff in for tomorrow. I hope it arrives early in the day for you.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I popped into A1di as I was passing ... and, by accident, appear to have discovered a time when a lot of goods have the 30% off sticker slapped on them. That's pretty much all you get at that shop - food's either full price or there's a 30% sticker on it (I did see some 50% off right after Easter though).

So I had a look around and got a box of 6 apple pies I don't particularly like and didn't need... and a pack of 6 bread rolls (I'd actually gone in with a loaf in mind) .... and a pack of 3 chocolate trifles :)

Lunch was two of those bread rolls with some mature cheddar and pickle ... and two apple pies. Totally underwhelmed, I found the bread rolls to be too airy/fluffy for me and they had that annoying sprinkling of flour on top...won't bother with those again. Apple pies were the usual "meh" ...

Tea will be the mashed spuds I made yesterday - and some of the baked beans I opened yesterday .... there might, or might not, be a poached egg involved ... depends how I feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure