PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ate the wrong meal again... doh.

Had in mind the whole bub/sqk thing...and had it all half cooked! I was just a fast nuke away from completion.

But I popped to L1dl for their cheap cheese - only to spot on the door that it was only the weekend, not the whole week. Doh. Bought some anyway - and spotted a frozen biryani meal, so grabbed that. Had intended to put that in the freezer, but for some bizarre reason I cooked it and half way through thought "Idiot, you weren't supposed to be eating that today".

Oh well.

I also went to ....da-da-daaaahhhh ....£land, where I promptly managed to spend £8 on "random stuff". Some of it was intended, some if it was "in case" - and £1 was a bag of my favourite choccies :)

So I've also had some sweeties/choccies :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just had something minging.... A5da/cheapo Irish Stew... thought I'd treat it like a chunky soup, so toasted a bread crust.

There were TWO floppy bits of skin in there... ewwwww.

Won't buy those again!

It's just bits of mutton, spuds, carrots, peas in a thick gravy .... but floppy skin bits is a huge "no no".

https://groceries.asda.com/product/hot-meats-meals-chilli/asda-smartprice-irish-stew/35386

Thanks for the warning, not likely to have been on my buy list but now I know for certain

Pate, I like it sometimes, hence the liver one yesterday, which reminds me still got some in the fridge

BUT, I have made mushroom pate in the past, no animals at all involved and dead easy, just soft cheese, mushrooms, onion and maybe something else? and I think splodge of booze but expect that can be left out, I know garlic is in there, but I leave that out

Does need a whizzer to mash it all up inot pate

It is nice, quick & easy, in fact I have some rank mushrooms in fridge + LO soft cheese, I think I feel pate coming on later

Banana again for breakfast, only about 1kg to go now

Remembered why I never had the LO liver pate for lunch today

On yesterday's rambling around shops I found, outside Wilko's a factory wrapped, undamaged, clean, prepacked, bake it yourself Asda tear & share thingy which I guess had fallen out from a shopping basket. Could not see a likely loser in sight, so into my trolley it went

That find was today's lunch :), gas 6 6 minutes. And hence no LO pate

Dinner will be a rinse & repest of yesterday, cold pig salad

Yesterday's blooming parcel tried again this morning while I was out, another card on the mat :mad: I have now tried to set it for collect at local newsagent, tomorrow, here's hoping. Good part is it is near Morrison's so my doughnut top up function is ON, and wahtever else a mooch provides

Found a YS beef chilli & rice in Lidl this morning, that is Wed dinner sorted already
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Had a huge plate of stir-fry of Aldi's last fortnight's Super 6 - the veg cost literally pennies, 2 large leeks, 10p, 2 large courgettes 20p, 2 large carrots 5p and half a head of broccoli 15p. Plus a 33p sachet of stir-fry sauce and a tin of tuna flakes.
    Still some left over.
    Breakfast was a very unhealthy and very tasty hm puff pastry cheese and bacon wrap, approx cost 32p, the healthy stir-fry redressed the balance.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I can't be bothered yet - and I've been put off any food for now as I've just been out in the garden plucking about 30 random dandelions, 15' of clinging/creeping vine (that twists round things) and a dozen little green weeds with red knubby bottoms.... and I don't like touching things "outside", so even though I've washed my hands thoroughly .... it'll be awhile before I can mentally touch any sort of food.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I saw that programme last night about sneaky eating and `where did that weight come from?`

Which channel was that on please Kitty? I would like to see if I can watch it on catch up. It sounds interesting.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    My neighbour has just brought me 4 packs of stirfry reduced in asda to 5p. Great but ive absolutely no freezer space left really couldn't fit a single green pea sooooooo have dug out the dehydrator and will have a go at drying the for winter soup stocks.

She also bought me pack of two boiled eggs 5p, ekkkkk, does anyone actually buy these at full price £1 ? and a chicken fried rice meal for 25p.
    Guess that's lunch and dinner sorted.

What a nice neighbour! :D
    I've got a chickpea, spinach, leek n other bits in the slow cooker, for a curry. Need it today as am bloody freezing :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone

Meg72 I'm intrigued about dehydrating stir fry veg, do you leave as is or blitz it to make a stock base? Years ago Whitworths and Great Scot used to sell packets of minced dried veg which I used to like to add to soups and casseroles but it seems to have disappeared. Great Scot still do a broth mix with added dried veg which is fine but limits uses.:(

Farway - I make a lentil and mushroom pate if my veggie friend is here (though everyone scoffs it :D) if you have a blitzer it's no work at all. I just use any mushrooms I have and have made it without any added nuts (though it is nicer with them) and it's really tasty and feeezes well if there is spare. The tinned green lentils work fine if you CBA cooking them.

Sneaky eating- my downfall isn't snacking but I'm guilty of when there is slightly more than a portion of something so not worth keeping the excess of scoffing it all :o

Lunch today was a hodgepodge of LO bits from yesterday with a mug of soup to warm me up :)as it wasn't really salad weather. I eventually relented and popped the heating on mid-afternoon as there is a limit on how many layers I'm prepared to wear and the fleecy slipper boots are back on:mad:.

Sausage casserole tonight with steamed new season Ayrshire tatties. The spuds are so lovely - the first of the season and I did think about cooking extra but realised that would end up being a sneaky eating downfall so won't ;)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Save money, good food's on now . £231 a week ? :eek:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Sneaky eating- .... slightly more than a portion of something so not worth keeping the excess of scoffing it all :o
    I think we all do that - especially if we don't want to see it again. Better to scoff it, free up the fridge space and get the washing up done...

I just had half the mashed spuds I made earlier and 1/3rd of a tin of beans on the side.... then I cut 1/5th of the pack of cheese (so about 70grams) .... poked most of it into the spuds to melt ... and while I was standing beside the nuker waiting I was scoffing the last few pieces of that :)

Seemed mad to try to grate it, or pop it in a box in the fridge. Then the final 3 bits were plonked on top of the hot beans.

I reheated the spuds/beans/cheese in a plastic serving dish - and ate from that with a fork. So minimal washing up to be done :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Save money, good food's on now . £231 a week ? :eek:

Cheers...turned over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing