PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 April 2017 at 7:15PM
    Options
    I do like some pate...it wasn't something I had ever tried until I was about 40 ... then I tried a crab pate (Orkney Crab) ... and it was gorgeous!

I'd not fancy any pate involving livers.... ewwwwwww.

I'm really squeamish about a lot of foods. Wobbly stuff and floppy stuff is right up there on that list!

Rather than pate though, which is hard to source and pricey I tend to just have paste. I tried to specifically buy some crab pate at Asda for Christmas - even visited the store (16 mile round trip) TWICE - but the shelf was just empty both times. I sometimes idly wander along the fishy aisles looking for Orkney Crab pate and the closest I seem to get to that is seeing the empty spot where it would've been. Although, to be fair, I've only remembered to look for that about 2-3x in the last 6 years.

Now I fancy Orkney Crab! Mysupermarket says .... only Tesco and Morries have it (I bought it from Morries every time in the past). They both are only offering their own brand.... I know the one I had wasn't an own brand.

Ah, there's more - but they're not listed on mysupermarket - I hate it when I "rely" on that site and it doesn't show all products.

Waitrose has 115g for £1.75

Google makes me think this might be the one I tried/liked all those years ago:
    http://www.castlemaclellan.co.uk/our-pate.html

Now I'm looking, I'd have to individually check each shop's website .... so it's all got too hard now. I'd have to sit and decide I was going to buy some - and then research it all - then go to buy it ... which is what I tried/failed to do at Christmas.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PN- I love all sorts of pate both meat and fishy. I quite often make chicken liver or smoked mackeral pate or trout (if my son has been fishing) though only if I've folk to share it with. Today's I didn't make it so it was a SO Tesco Finest Duck & Seville Orange and it's not at all liverish. Not a huge slab so as some was eaten at lunch time I'll have no problem scoffing it before it goes off. I see Asda do a smoked mackeral pate so worth a try if you see it. :)

The castlemaclellan crab pate is lovely so a good choice.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    ....if my son has been fishing....

I don't think I've ever had an actual "fish". I've had fish fingers and fishcakes and some bits of cod in crispy batter in the past - and, over the years, probably about 4-5 pieces of battered fish from a chippy, a few fish in sauce in plastic bags you boil ... but never seen/had/eaten an "actual fish" ... I'd be very hesitant to try that to be honest.... bit gruesome ... eyes, head, face, scales, bones ... innards...ewwwwwww..

I'll stick with the Iceland fishcakes at 12 for £1 - I know what I'm (NOT) getting there!
  • caronc
    Options
    I used to work in a fishmongers so it doesn't bother me but thankfully my son preps it all so I just get the lovely boneless fillets:D
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

I am trying to be organised with food today. I'm going to do scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast in a minute, and have got some plaice out of the freezer to have with some new pots and steamed veg for dinner. I think lunch will be a cheese and salad sandwich to use up some salad bits.

Have a good day all.
  • caronc
    edited 25 April 2017 at 8:58AM
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Brrr it's chilly here this morning, for once I was awake before elderly pooch and there was a thickish frost though it has lifted now. Wintry showers are forecast for later....
    Just munching a piece of toast with the last of yesterday's pate, lunch will be a use up of some of the other LO bits and I need to give the fridge a good sort out and see what I need to use up soonish, what will be ok for a bit and what I can freeze so nothing gets wasted. Not got the length of planning dinner though my friend brought me a bag of new season early Ayrshire spuds so I think a few of these may well feature.:)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I decided to tackle the Xmas brussels head on - and use some of the A1di spuds lurking in the cupboard to knock up a bub/sqk. I just chucked all four final spuds into the steamer - and weighed them just before I put them on to cook, 620 grams... bugg4h. A bit much.

I then weighed the brussels to see how many I've got and it's just over 300 grams.

Now.... if I add the two together that's THREE meals worth. So I think I'll use about half the spuds and half the brussels ...leaving just half the spuds mashed in the fridge.... and half the brussels left in the freezer. I'll toss some red onions in too -as I think I've finished the white onions and I've quite a lot of frozen red ones to use up.

Will eventually get round to serving that with beans/egg later...

I need to buy cheese .... so I expect that second half of spuds will end up with cheese and beans later.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My neighbour has just brought me 4 packs of stirfry reduced in asda to 5p. Great but ive absolutely no freezer space left really couldn't fit a single green pea sooooooo have dug out the dehydrator and will have a go at drying the for winter soup stocks.

She also bought me pack of two boiled eggs 5p, ekkkkk, does anyone actually buy these at full price £1 ? and a chicken fried rice meal for 25p.
    Guess that's lunch and dinner sorted.
    Slimming World at target
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I saw that programme last night about sneaky eating and `where did that weight come from?` omg, talk about shoveling food in, all the wrong sort of food. Anyway, it did make me think because it is hard/impossible to lose weight.

I took notice, it isn`t my main food at all, or my couple of snacks. It is finishing things off, like the frozen chocolate brownies, which are lovely from frozen and the meringues that I made so I would not waste a few egg whites. I could not chuck the meringues out because I ate them before I saw the programme but I did throw out all the frozen brownies, a whole bag full, I made them and I added the oil to the mix. I opened the bag first and up ended it, just in case I went looking for the unopened bag in the bin

Now I am trying to space my food out, so I have a bit every few hours. I know my danger time, it is after lunch but I will have my two pieces of dark chocolate and then I`ll get busy doing something or other. I can have a soya yoghurt with some rinsed bottled gooseberries later on

Lunch is stir fry with turkey bits, later is aubergine and tomato pasta, I loved that sauce and made more yesterday. I am going to throw in a few bits of fermented tofu. I never liked tofu, then I found this one last week, its yummy and has a good texture. If I get really peckish at any stage then a bit of goats cheese on a cracker is better than a couple of brownies, I cut them small :o so I would not eat too much, haha
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I decided to tackle the Xmas brussels head on - and use some of the A1di spuds lurking in the cupboard to knock up a bub/sqk. I just chucked all four final spuds into the steamer - and weighed them just before I put them on to cook, 620 grams... bugg4h. A bit much.

I then weighed the brussels to see how many I've got and it's just over 300 grams.

Now.... if I add the two together that's THREE meals worth. So I think I'll use about half the spuds and half the brussels ...leaving just half the spuds mashed in the fridge.... and half the brussels left in the freezer. I'll toss some red onions in too -as I think I've finished the white onions and I've quite a lot of frozen red ones to use up.

Will eventually get round to serving that with beans/egg later...

I need to buy cheese .... so I expect that second half of spuds will end up with cheese and beans later.

That sounds lovely. I really like bubble and squeek, and you can't go wrong when you add beans and cheese to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure