PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 February 2017 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Nelski how bloody annoying. I hope they had a good excuse.

Why not carry on with your lasagne plan and freeze what you don't eat. You enjoy your HM meal with garlic bread and salad..Pour yourself a huge glass of wine and toast [STRIKE]absent[/STRIKE] former, annoying friends!

ETA: I'd certainly join you for dinner and come armed with a bottle of wine too:D..trouble is I don't think I'd make it there by 7!
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So long as the cancellation didn't go "Hi... got to cancel ... son/daughter's just called and they're popping round to pick up [insert irrelevant item here].... "

:)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Yesterday I had to go many miles away and stay overnight and so I took the opportunity of some random wanders around an assortment of food shops.

I'd never been inside a Farmfoods - and there was one there, so I looked around. Couldn't buy anything, but it mostly looked fabulous!

Did Asda, stocked up on some favourite items. They sell tins of spaghetti hoops at 14p/can, so I got a couple of those in; irish stew at 59p/can, so a couple of those came home with me.

Then it was B&M. Favourite bag of sweeties (x 2), some marshmallows for my hot choccy and some carnation milk (intended for quiches).

Driving home (5 hours in total, with a "stop off" where I was only out of the car 15 minutes) ... I thought "better get a pie; I fancy a pie" so went into A1d1, but it was full of people and I just wanted to get home, didn't see a pie I fancied, so grabbed some random potatoes, their 59p carrots, crumpets and a loaf and headed home.

Yesterday I ate: A cold pasty and a jacket spud/cheese.
    Today I've had: 2 crumpets and a baked spud/cheese.

I did my quarterly "weigh in", still 8½ stone, so pies are still on the menu :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

meg72 - your cream tea sounds lush, hard to imagine summer at the moment as it's trying to snow here :eek:
    PN - Farmfoods can be very good there is one in my town and prices are very decent though their fresh fruit and veg can be hit or miss. Their loo and kitchen rolls (Nicky brand) are fab:) My go to from them is their diced swede, it doesn't seem to be as watery as other frozen ones. Shame you couldn't buy anything
    Dinner tonight has "morphed" a bit as I seem to have quite a lot of spuds so will make HM wedges rather than have the LO chippy chips. I've defrosted a couple of chicken thighs so didn't use the LO coleslaw earlier and I'm having cajun chicken, HM wedges, mushrooms and coleslaw. Still working my way through the fruit basket which I'm really enjoying so have had a banana and 2 plums so far today and it helping my F&V intake no end when I'm not fancying cooking much so need to keep it up :)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks everyone it was a very feeble excuse and for that reason there will be no more invites EVER :D

Anyway Im probably going to leave the lasagna making till tomorrow and then I will make a few portions for the freezer ...great just what I needed :cool::D Got to say though the ragu smell gorgeous so I will probably have a dipping bowl :rotfl:

Really love the idea of a posh afternoon tea meg I am so going to do that this summer with a slight adjustment of Pimms instead of tea :o

PN thats a long drive you must be shattered ...all that way and you go to Farmfoods :rotfl: was there not anything more exciting like a Waitrose or a Selfridges or an M+S Simply food? After that drive you could have had a nice treat. Our local Farmfoods is pretty trashy but its going to have to pull its socks up as Iceland have just opened a brand new shop really close always good to have competition.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    PN thats a long drive you must be shattered ...all that way and you go to Farmfoods :rotfl: was there not anything more exciting like a Waitrose or a Selfridges or an M+S Simply food? After that drive you could have had a nice treat. Our local Farmfoods is pretty trashy but its going to have to pull its socks up as Iceland have just opened a brand new shop really close always good to have competition.

It's a journey I make 4x a year and I know how long it takes, but I then add 2 hours onto it "for emergencies"... once I'm within 15 miles of my destination I stop off at supermarkets for a sandwich, fag break, wee, whatever .... as I've "broken the back of the journey". So I wasn't in a town, I was parked up on the outskirts of towns slowly wending my way towards my final destination :)
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's a journey I make 4x a year and I know how long it takes, but I then add 2 hours onto it "for emergencies"... once I'm within 15 miles of my destination I stop off at supermarkets for a sandwich, fag break, wee, whatever .... as I've "broken the back of the journey". So I wasn't in a town, I was parked up on the outskirts of towns slowly wending my way towards my final destination :)

SM bought prepacked sandwiches...I've just been pondering this (I know i need to get a life)....I haven't had one for about 10 months.

Which led me on to my second thought which is when buying the sandwich, from any of the main SM (though M&S excel), I always and only ever buy either Egg mayonnaise or Prawn mayonnaise on brown bread..sometimes both and always accompanied by a bag of plain crisps and a can of diet coke...:cool:

Now then a baguette sandwich shop bought sandwich is a different matter altogether, but i still err towards egg or prawn...;)

Odd because I never make either type of sandwich at home...:think:..it's nearly always cheese :D

Feel free to ignore the inane ramblings of a singleton pondering the oddity of my sandwich consumption...as I say, I need to get out more :o ....
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    SM bought prepacked sandwiches...I've just been pondering this (I know i need to get a life)....I haven't had one for about 10 months.

Which led me on to my second thought which is when buying the sandwich, from any of the main SM (though M&S excel), I always and only ever buy either Egg mayonnaise or Prawn mayonnaise on brown bread..sometimes both and always accompanied by a bag of plain crisps and a can of diet coke...:cool:

Now then a baguette sandwich shop bought sandwich is a different matter altogether, but i still err towards egg or prawn...;)

Odd because I never make either type of sandwich at home...:think:..it's nearly always cheese :D

Feel free to ignore the inane ramblings of a singleton pondering the oddity of my sandwich consumption...as I say, I need to get out more :o ....

Confession...I love supermarket sandwiches :o my preferred choice would be a cheese and coleslaw or cheese and onion (depending on whether I am meeting customers after ...cant have onion breath :rotfl: or tuna and sweetcorn. M+S defo get the award for the best SM sandwiches though.

Preferred homemade sandwich is cheese and pickle :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »

I'm the same always a prawn or egg sarnie if I buy a SM one and plain crisps are the best.....:D
    I do something make egg mayo or egg & tomato at home but never prawn. I have about a handful of cooked prawns in the freezer that have been there for ages so I might need to make some Marie Rose and have a prawn "piece" then of course will need to think of something to do with the LO dressing LOL........:doh:
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Confession...I love supermarket sandwiches :o my preferred choice would be a cheese and coleslaw or cheese and onion (depending on whether I am meeting customers after ...cant have onion breath :rotfl: or tuna and sweetcorn. M+S defo get the award for the best SM sandwiches though.

Preferred homemade sandwich is cheese and pickle :)

Oh I do too..especially M&S they are by far the best. I'd make and eat any of your cheese and...options, would also make tuna mayo (Never sweetcorn), but I'd never buy them from a SM...Odd innit :rotfl:

ETA I'm so glad you didn't ignore my ramblings as that of a mad woman and that it was worthy of discussion in this thread :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills