PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,419 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all, I was undecided on tonight's meal, but the Asda mooching produced YS leeks & yet another YS individual pie

So, tonight Mathew I am being Pie faced again, with 5 veggies, cabbage, leeks, broc, carrots & parsnips, all steamed in same, but clean this time, pot

Very MSE because all but the carrot were bought on some sort of offer over the past weeks or so

And I polished off the remains of the posh cheese & onion flan lunchtime
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Afternoon all, I was undecided on tonight's meal, but the Asda mooching produced YS leeks & yet another YS individual pie

So, tonight Mathew I am being Pie faced again, with 5 veggies, cabbage, leeks, broc, carrots & parsnips, all steamed in same, but clean this time, pot

Very MSE because all but the carrot were bought on some sort of offer over the past weeks or so

And I polished off the remains of the posh cheese & onion flan lunchtime
    Sounds good :) I'm still swithering decided I don't fancy pasta so thinking of either HM venison burger from the stash I made before Christmas and make some coleslaw to go with it or making some Dhal and having it with pitta bread
  • caronc
    Options
    Decision made burger and brioche bun out of the freezer. Decison based purely on the basis that I'm trying to not add too much to my freezer stash and it's so hard to make a small amount of dhal that I'd end up having freeze loads of it:cool:
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DGS text to say coming tonight instead of tomorrow so its chippy tea. He always has he same chicken, sausage and chips. I put a breaded cod in he Halogen before I go, its ready when I come back and I pinch some of his chips, have it with pickled beetroot. A nice easy cheap tea for me.
    Slimming World at target
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    )

Mmmmm Dhal must make some soon and as you say one bowl covers a good whack of veg intake, I like to add spinach and mushrooms to mine:) Hope the HM flatbreads work out must be the day for them.:D
    /QUOTE]

Sounds nice any chance of the recipe please caronc also a decent flat bread recipe for my DD as she loves them
  • caronc
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    DGS text to say coming tonight instead of tomorrow so its chippy tea. He always has he same chicken, sausage and chips. I put a breaded cod in he Halogen before I go, its ready when I come back and I pinch some of his chips, have it with pickled beetroot. A nice easy cheap tea for me.
    Mmm proper chippy chips hope you enjoy:D- I have some in the freezer LO from last time son was up and he grabbed a chippy before heading out with his mates. Usually I pinch some but was "good" this time and stashed the spare ones in the freezer (wish I had remembered they were there when I had my fishfingers last night :()
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    )

Mmmmm Dhal must make some soon and as you say one bowl covers a good whack of veg intake, I like to add spinach and mushrooms to mine:) Hope the HM flatbreads work out must be the day for them.:D
    /QUOTE]

Sounds nice any chance of the recipe please caronc also a decent flat bread recipe for my DD as she loves them

Hello Jackie O (who never answers PMs :rotfl:) Hope you are well xx

Just thought I would jump in with a flatbread recipe I used the other day it worked perfectly and was gorgeous

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/easy-flatbreads/
  • caronc
    Options
    )

/QUOTE]

Nelski wrote: »

Hello Jackie O (who never answers PMs :rotfl:) Hope you are well xx

Just thought I would jump in with a flatbread recipe I used the other day it worked perfectly and was gorgeous

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/easy-flatbreads/

Hi JackieO I'm not sure a recipe quite covers it LOL as it's more bung it in:rotfl:.......
    I fry and onion finely chopped with a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and about 1/2 inch of grated ginger until soft and just beginning to brown, I add a good tablespoon curry powder (I use hot madras) let it cook for a moment, chuck in veg of choice I usually have peppers, more onions(sliced) and mushrooms (I add the spinach later) a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of water and a cup of lentils (brown, green or black are best though red is fine) let burble away until mix is thick and lentils are soft, chuck in a few blocks of frozen spinach let them melt, add a tsp of garam masala and mix well add S&P to taste. I'm not sure it's terribly authentic but tastes great. I like a spodge of yoghurt on top.:)
    Karcher made one the other night so may be able to add to this
    Nelski - they look fab flatbreads :D have bookmarked thanks :A
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO

Pollycat's Dhal Fry recipe:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71923605&postcount=42431

Islandmaid's Flatbread recipe

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71900580&postcount=42354

Both fantastic :D..cheap, easy and very tasty and I can't take any credit as both were posted in the 'What's for Dinner' Thread.

HTH :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »

Oh blimey...what I wouldn't do for a very large portion of Chippy Chips with salt and vinegar and a couple of [STRIKE]wedges[/STRIKE] slices of really good crusty white bread, drowned in butter for chip butties :drool::drool::drool:

and a dollop of ketchup on the side (just to up the veg count :rotfl:)

*sighs* alas no chance of that :p
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business