PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    JackieO

Pollycat's Dhal Fry recipe:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71923605&postcount=42431

Islandmaid's Flatbread recipe

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71900580&postcount=42354

Both fantastic :D..cheap, easy and very tasty and I can't take any credit as both were posted in the 'What's for Dinner' Thread.

HTH :D
    Thanks Karcher sounds good :A
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Knocked up a loaf of no-knead bread this afternoon - came out of the oven just in time to be part of my meal. Made a lentilly vegetabley hotpotty sort of thing, quite spicy, and it really went well with a hunk of lovely fresh bread and butter.
    In the process I used up some veggies from the fridge which were on the verge of looking sad, so mission accomplished in more ways than one.
    Oh, and I'd made enough for two portions, so one has gone in the freezer.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • caronc
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    Knocked up a loaf of no-knead bread this afternoon - came out of the oven just in time to be part of my meal. Made a lentilly vegetabley hotpotty sort of thing, quite spicy, and it really went well with a hunk of lovely fresh bread and butter.
    In the process I used up some veggies from the fridge which were on the verge of looking sad, so mission accomplished in more ways than one.
    Oh, and I'd made enough for two portions, so one has gone in the freezer.
    That sounds just the thing for a cold winter's night so comforting and tasty :)('tis bleeding baltic here:()
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone
    I really enjoyed my "posh" burger last night mainly I think because I took the time to put it together attractively with all the bits and proper napkin (rather than a wodge of kitchen roll) to hold it in. I tend to only make this effort when there is more than just me but while it was a wee bit of a faff it was definitely worth it so one for my lessons learned that I can be good to me too........:cool:
    I've taken some diced pork out to make souvlaki for tomorrow but I think tonight these LO chippy chips might just get used up though what with I'm not sure. Have LO coleslaw and a slice of lurking ham so a ham and coleslaw roll will cover lunch, but I didn't make a huge bowl so won't need to eat it for days thankfully:)
    What plans do us "cooking for one"ers have for the weekend?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Good morning everyone
    I really enjoyed my "posh" burger last night mainly I think because I took the time to put it together attractively with all the bits and proper napkin (rather than a wodge of kitchen roll) to hold it in. I tend to only make this effort when there is more than just me but while it was a wee bit of a faff it was definitely worth it so one for my lessons learned that I can be good to me too........:cool:
    I've taken some diced pork out to make souvlaki for tomorrow but I think tonight these LO chippy chips might just get used up though what with I'm not sure. Have LO coleslaw and a slice of lurking ham so a ham and coleslaw roll will cover lunch, but I didn't make a huge bowl so won't need to eat it for days thankfully:)

I think its important to put that effort in for yourself every now and then. Enjoy your chippy chips even if they are LOs :D

Im a bit frustrated today...I had a big lasagna planned and I mean big with coleslaw garlic bread and salad for some friends coming round this evening. i get everything out of the freezer yesterday and bought lots of extra salady stuff...then late last night they cancelled :mad:

So now I am left with a slow cooker full to bursting with the ragu ready for a lasagna which I dont know whether to bother with now :( I can decide later on whether it gets made into something or shoved in the freezer for another meal option....not happy at all. No invite for them any more thats for sure. Any takers from the cooking for one thread..dinner at 7 :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    I think its important to put that effort in for yourself every now and then. Enjoy your chippy chips even if they are LOs :D

Im a bit frustrated today...I had a big lasagna planned and I mean big with coleslaw garlic bread and salad for some friends coming round this evening. i get everything out of the freezer yesterday and bought lots of extra salady stuff...then late last night they cancelled :mad:

So now I am left with a slow cooker full to bursting with the ragu ready for a lasagna which I dont know whether to bother with now :( I can decide later on whether it gets made into something or shoved in the freezer for another meal option....not happy at all. No invite for them any more thats for sure. Any takers from the cooking for one thread..dinner at 7 :)
    How frustrating no wonder you're :mad: Personally I'd freeze the ragu so I could use up the other bits- picnic dinner with a large glass (or2) with my feet up would suit me :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,419 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm with Caronc on this, freeze but eat the salady bits over next couple of days?

Not sure on tonight's meal, I have choice from two frozen Chinese chicken thingies for one from Iceland on offer when it was Chinese New Year

With boil in bag rice, skulking at back of cupboard since 2014, only two more sachets to use once I have scoffed tonight's offering
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

NOT very nice of them.

Now - how close are you to me re dinner tonight?:rotfl:

Meanwhile - back at the ranch - think I might try out that vegetable and lentil recipe a few posts back for tonights dinner...
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Good morning everyone

Glad you enjoyed your posh burger, I do think its important to be good to yourself sometimes. My favourite "Be good to me, cos I`m worth it" is sometimes on a nice sunny day, I do myself
    a posh afternoon cream tea in the garden. I set the table with a lacy cloth, lol its an old cotton lace curtain that I adapted as couldn't bear t throw out. Dust off the old China teaset, put a flower or two in a little cut glassvase, make some scones, pick strawberrys,buy a pot of cream and boy do I enjoy it. Cant wait for summer.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Awww hugs, I wouldn't be inviting them again either.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family