Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on the new baby heebie jeebies. Only this morning I defuzzed my legs:). I'll be wearing opaques tonight but Friday I might wear sheers to a party so I thought it was about time.:o

shanks77 wrote: »
    Sorry for the novel look forward to getting to know you all better xx

Don't worry shanks, we like novels.:rotfl:

Thanks for reminding me about the water intake. I've just refilled my bottle. Fizzy water is my preferred option if I'm in a bar/restaurant as I find soft drinks far too sweet.

I'm interested in the foreo brush ali. I have clogged pores particularly on my nose. I think I'll ask advice when I have my facial tomorrow.

I love wearing leggings around the house clippy, they're so comfortable although I do fancy a pair of those joggers with straight bottoms (I believe they're called non-cuffed). My DGD had a lovely pair for Christmas but I don't need Superdry written all over them!;) My current leggings are a year old as I bought a couple of pairs in New Look sale last year. They'd reduced them as they had so few pairs of long length ones. I need to look out for more.

Sorry to hear that the situation with the funeral is so complex LL. I suspected your sister would be stressed but do try and let BIL deal with her as much as possible and let your boys support you as much as they can. I think you're suffering as a result of being too capable.:A
  • lucia22
    lucia22 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    My ultimate aim is to lose 3 stone but setting a small goal for the first week of the year to just get through my working week without buying snacks on the way to or back from work. I also want to prep lunch for the week in advance as it will help my portion control; and get in some gym sessions. Overeating also makes me feel really tired and lacking in energy. I want to start running again and also wake up earlier.

Other goals for the year are related to career and personal development. I want to save some more money in my savings account, learn some new skills and put myself out there more. Also ironic that I'm writing as another goal is to spend less time on the internet :D.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2019 Total UU since 2016 - 396 | Total February UU - 1
  • LoLo
    LoLo Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all. Some fantastic fabbing going on with everyone.

Hugs to everyone who is having a rough time right now.

So the first day back at work and school today and I am happy to report I managed to moisturise, put on some foundation and mascara and wore perfume. I always wear earrings and my necklace anyway so they were already on. Clothes were just jeans and a jumper today but I've worked from home so wanted to be comfortable.

Thanks to previous posters about oral hygiene I have now got back into the routine of brushing my teeth twice a day and using mouth wash. I need to purchase some dental floss so I can add that again too.

I have returned to work with real motivation and managed to have a productive day. And I have done some jobs around the house that have been on my to do list for a while so all good there too.

I'm just having a read of the forum and the when the last child is in bed I will have a go with the headspace app. I want to make sure I won't be disturbed by the kids.

Let's see how tomorrow goes. I'm feeling very positive this year and ready to make some changes that are very much overdue.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    Hello all.

Well, first day back at work today. Made the mistake of being far too saintly on the food at work - i.e. didn't eat enough - and then came home ravenous without anything ready prepared to eat, so ended up stuffing myself with pizza and chocolate. I guess I've proved my issues aren't just emotional eating - all common sense goes out of the window if I am seriously hungry without a meal ready to eat.

So, what I need to do is:-

- Make sure I eat enough during the day.

- Get off the bus one stop later so I am not near the Co-op and the temptation of their pizza and special offers on crisps, chocolate etc on my walk home.

- Leave work earlier. What I did to wind up leaving an hour or so late was useful stuff, but it didn't have to be done then, could have waited till tomorrow. Having eaten all that rubbish I probably won't sleep that well tonight, so I will be less effective tomorrow because of it.

- Make sure I know what I am going to be eating at home in the evening and make it something either quick to cook or already prepared and just needing to be heated up.

Am thinking about doing some online food tracking - does anyone use My fitness pal and if so what do you think of it?

I cracked and bought a new fitbit. I had multiple replacements of my charge HR, loved the data but the design was poor - not just ugly but it kept falling apart - the glue in the strap melted when getting hot, which you tend to do when exercising. Anyway, since I stopped using the old one I have become less active so I've treated myself to the new Charge 2. It's a teal one rather than the black I had before, which will go well with my hiking gear and a lot of my casual clothes, the face looks smarter and you can swap the straps so I have a rose gold coloured one on order which would make it much smarter for office use.

Am going to get it set up now and then get myself an early night, was up a bit late last night and woke up during the night for a while too, so I reckon I need the extra sleep and that might at least mean I do better on the health front tomorrow.

Keep up the good work all - am too tired to comment tonight, but am impressed to see how well you're doing.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    As I was sat here charging my fitbit so I could set up I got an email from the company I did my yoga retreat with last year that I thought I'd share with you, links to what I was saying about the one word theme that I know some of you liked:-

This is from Rosie Miles, co-founder of Kaliyoga

=====

Quality Street

New Year always strikes me as rather an anxious time – a "must do better" time, a time to make amends for the balls up(s) of last year, a fresh chance to stop drinking and learn the piano and master Javanese and know the names and reigns of all 40 British Monarchs, or lose the 10 kilos you’ve been carting around for the past decade - and most importantly, to make peace with those you’ve !!!!ed off and those who have upset you.

But what if this year you spat the dummy?

What if you didn't make any lists or resolutions, but instead asked yourself one simple question - “What quality would I like to manifest this year?’ or, better still, "What sort of person would I like to be this year?"

A quality - peace, joy, kindness, emotional containment, patience, compassion, grace - is an elusive thing that often remains nothing more than a pretty concept, especially when talked about rather than applied to real life.

And yet if we were to channel our chosen quality with passion and commitment into the things that matter to us, then miraculously the list of goals would start to tick itself.

For me it's the quality of PATIENCE - I want everything NOW but I forget that goals and relationships need constant nurture, little baby steps, just one or two a day and I am not suddenly going to find myself in a taxi in a size 10 Valentino dress with perfect skin and no cellulite en route to collect my first BAFTA.

No!

First I have to become a better writer and that means showing up patiently on the page E.S.D (every single day) rather than fantasizing about dresses and speeches and chunky gold awards.

Likewise with my yoga practice. I am not going to regain the suppleness that I had in my 20’s by watching yoga on YouTube or talking about how great yoga is. I have to A.D.Y (actually do yoga) — not necessarily for 90 mins a day - 20 mins a day is more beneficial than a massive session once a week, plus it means that I get to play with myself on the mat every single day, if you get my drift...

Now!

If you were to focus on infusing your daily creative practice with whatever your chosen quality may be, then your brain chemistry will re-calibrate itself to nurture that quality and therefore your practice.

Then Brain will say “Ah! here we are again" at the page, or on the mat, or in front of the easel, or whatever, and Brain will remember how great you felt at the end of yesterday’s practice because your morale was boosted and that felt virtuous and groovy. So Brain will say, "Cool, let's do that again tomorrow!" And the day after. And the day after that. Because good feelings lead to good habits which lead to good feelings and round it goes.

So here's my QT (quality tips) for January
    Forget lists because they'll only make you a slave to inadequacy and you'll watch and weep as you fail to achieve any of your goals.
    Work on cultivating ONE QUALITY the absence of which is stopping you from achieving your goals. You know what that quality is - it's whatever you struggle with most.
    Infuse your life as much you can with this precious quality, especially during mundane activities like loading the dishwasher, or brushing your teeth because that's when Brain - supposedly on autopilot - really starts to re-wire itself. And because you're applying the quality on a daily basis, it will be there to support you during those really challenging times when you need it most.

Then sit back and watch with glee as the universe gets behind you and you start to fly.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you're buying floss, I can recommend getting the expanding stuff. Much better.
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lol I swear you are me indie! My 2nd Fitbit charge broke yesterday, the same thing as last time with the back falling off when unplugging the charger. I too have gone for the teal charge 2 :) but only because Argos don't sell the rose gold one. Where did you order the rose strap from please?

I have used my fitness pal. It's really good and free. I don't bother with calorie counting now as I eat similar things and know roughly the contents now.

Maman matalan have straight legged jogging trousers, think they were £10

Babe Will be interested how you get on re skin tags. I also have them on my neck. Need to get a friend to tie cotton on the bigger ones as done that before and doesn't hurt and they just fall off. But have quite a few smaller ones as well that are too small for thread :(

Just had a nice bath and going to moisturise now. Hurting from body pump class so didn't go gym tonight. Will aim for swim tomorrow!
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • indiepanda
    Options
    Lol I swear you are me indie! My 2nd Fitbit charge broke yesterday, the same thing as last time with the back falling off when unplugging the charger. I too have gone for the teal charge 2 :) but only because Argos don't sell the rose gold one. Where did you order the rose strap from please?

I have used my fitness pal. It's really good and free. I don't bother with calorie counting now as I eat similar things and know roughly the contents now.

Babe Will be interested how you get on re skin tags. I also have them on my neck. Need to get a friend to tie cotton on the bigger ones as done that before and doesn't hurt and they just fall off. But have quite a few smaller ones as well that are too small for thread :(

I ordered a non-fitbit brand strap from Amazon, it was called Chok Idea Fitbit Charge 2 Strap Band Replacement, Magnet Lock Milanese Loop Stainless Steel Bracelet Strap Band for Fitbit Charge 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M12W4K6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wasn't so interested in my fitness pal as a calorie tracker as I am not convinced calories is the main issue, but I thought it might work as a good food diary - have used a spreadsheet before but that meant emailing myself when on the move to remind myself what to add to it when at my laptop. Thought with the app I could keep updated when eating rather than risk forgetting or having to catch up later.

I had a skin tag on my neck a couple of years ago, was quite small and recall fidgeting with it, twisting it round on itself etc. and it just fell off. Probably not what the doctor would recommend, but it didn't hurt, didn't bleed and hasn't grown back so am not too worried.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a fitbit you can keep a food diary in the fitbit app, then everything is in the same place... (and it can calculate your calorie deficit/surplus for you...)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Indie......love the link. Thanks for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure