Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Afternoon fabbers decided to come out of lurkdom and try and join you. I have read all the previous threads and feel I know some of you well now lol.
    My aims for this year are to try and lose weight got about 5stone to lose:eek:. Just lost my dog on 23rd Dec so struggling to find motivation to get out and about.
    With the above in mind want to try and continue to do 10k steps per day as the last 2 weeks have shown what a lazy mare I can be.
    Also to try and stop dressing like a bag lady as when out with dog wore jeans, some sloppy shapeless warm jumper and a jacket that was great for walking but I would happily go to the supermarket like this as well and trust me not a good look. So, jacket to go in bin and nicer, non dog haired one to come into play.
    I am quite good at drinking water and for those of you struggling with it have you tried sparkling water? Just the cheap stuff from supermarkets (17p for 2litres) but for me tastes better than tap and might kick start you.
    I keep a tub of cream by my seat and in an evening if my skin feels dry just reach out and it's there stops me leaving it til bed time where I might forget.
    Sorry for the novel look forward to getting to know you all better xx
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LL - we chose to book the funeral and crem separately for exactly the reason you've given, although were lucky we were able to get a slot first thing the following day. We knew that at least if we did have to wait for ages, we would have had the funeral, which was the important part (although the privacy and intimacy of the crem with just family also helped).

Our LA uses the 'tell us once' service, which I found very good for dealing with the public sector bureaucracy, but I know it's not available everywhere. We did it online rather than spending any longer with the registrar.

As you say, your sister may well find organising the funeral is therapeutic. We certainly found that and the initial important paperwork (sorting out life insurance and pensions for my mother) helped give us some sense of purpose. And then we had Christmas... it's really now that it's getting tough although there is still plenty of paperwork to keep us busy! And my mother has wonderful support from friends who have been through this before - and is helping out a friend who lost her husband 5 days before my dad died and who has been ignoring the paperwork (no idea why her kids haven't helped her out at least to ensure that she gets her spousal pension and life insurance as this will give her some breathing space). I think helping someone else rather than just being the person being helped is a good way of getting yourself through too.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes we have the "tell us once" that is a huge help. I never thought of doing it online. Great tip, Thanks for that.

I noticed you can also download probate forms etc. So I think I will do that too. Then at least I can make sure I have all their information I need and all the supporting documents ready.

Yes one thing that a lot of people don't realise is that the real pain and loneliness only kicks in after the funeral when all the fuss dies down. It's good your mum has supportive friends.

I don't mind doing most of the running about and sorting out the financial stuff. I'm quite logical, I just make lots of lists.......:rotfl:
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Afternoon all,

I am sorry to hear about your sister LL and the consequences of more for you to do :( re your tummy have you tried probiotics? Heard they are good when taking antibiotics.m

Sorry to hear about your doggy shanks :( I totally get what you mean about tatty clothes that you then wear out. I have just been out in a pair of leggings with a hole in them (covered by my top). They are see through over my bum but I wore a long coat!

Popped into matalan as wanted some jogging bottoms for around the house when not going out or working at home. That is why I am wearing leggings today as wanted something comfy for working on sofa. Got some nice navy ones but not tried on yet. Then got distracted by selecting a new long sleeved top so forgot about leggings! Definetely going to bin today's pair though!

Whilst I was out I exchanged my Fitbit as it had broken and have upgraded it to a new one in bright teal. It's a bit brighter than I thought but very chearful!

Ref the cleansing brushes I like the boots one and don't find it too harsh. It has two settings as well. But before that I used this soap and glory mitt with my cleanser- http://www.boots.com/en/Soap-Glory™-Face-Massage-Mini-Mitt_1228811/ it's really good and only £4 in boots :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    i have a brush but dont really rate it and my skin hasnt improved at all. I got a foreo at xmas which has the anti aging side as well as the deep cleansing side and oh my wow - it is amazing. My skin feels so much better and less congested. They are pricey but so worth it.

I checked these out on a few websites ali-t and they have generally got rave reviews - definitely in the pricey side though :eek: I might treat myself with some Christmas pressie money :D
  • AlwaysAllie
    Options
    Hi all

Back at work and already struggling for motivation!

However I am wearing perfume and earrings and have toenail painting for this evening - I'm another who is stupidly cheered by painted toes!

I have managed to use hand cream several times as well which is another plus.

Some of these maybe such small things to lots of people but I can tell from other posts that it takes some work to make them more routine.

Have a good afternoon all

AA.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Sukeyboo and maman i have the foreo luna 2 in pink which is for normal/combination skin. It was the anti ageing bit that appealed with that 1 for me.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I have learned something today. I had never heard of the foreo range of products. They certainly look impressive although as you say, not cheap.

If they work really well though then I guess it comes to around the same price as a couple of really good facials so maybe it's a good long term investment.

When I did my training our instructor did tell us that she felt one of the best cleaning methods of all was to use a traditional men's shaving brush - the real ones made from pure badger hair.

She used to say that's is why men who went to the barbers for a steam treatment followed by the old fashioned wet shave using a brush and a strap razor had such good skin and never had shaving rashes.

She said that's what she used. She said it was the best way to thoroughly clean skin and remove dead skin cells and declog pores.

My skin is quite congested at the moment - well I look rough full stop. My charming DS2 told me so just yesterday.:rotfl: but TBH overall I just feel too "sensitive" to be touched. He ruffled my hair last night and I yelped in pain. i couldn't even blow dry my hair today because my scalp feels so delicate but at least I managed to wash it.

AlwaysAllie.....you are right it's the little things that add up. Done regularly they do become second nature. It's just getting into a routine.
  • heebie-jeebies
    Options
    May I rejoin you ladies? I was on one of the old threads but have only lurked on the last couple.

LL - I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, please take care of you too.

I am now a Mum to a fabulous 7 month old girl. It's not easy but I am loving it and may well become a SAHM later this year. I don't need to lose weight (I have the opposite problem, lost a bit too much BFing with no effort) but want to pay attention to looking clean and tidy. I do always wear perfume and occasionally wear make up but I'm really bad at maintenance - so will only defuzz when I'm wearing a dress for example - and I'd like that to change. I also need to drink more water.

We have loads of Xmas chocs left hanging around and this morning a hamper of chocolate was delivered for my birthday!! I
  • Babe1
    Babe1 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear All

I am finding this thread such a huge benefit - I have started drinking water again, and last night added Headspace to my tablet. I did the first 10 minutes with the next session I shall fit in later on. It was really beneficial - I learnt mindfulness at a pain clinic some time ago but it just didn't "gel" with me too well; this app was much better. Thank You DD265 for mentioning it.

LL - thinking of you and your sister also.

I haven't started writing in my journal yet, but I shall - this week has been spent so far in trying to re-sort our home after Christmas and get back to normal this week. My DH is back on a late shift and our son will be back to his activities from tomorrow.

I have done some batch cooking for the freezer - so there are a nice supply of ready meals for DH to take to work when on a late shift. This is something I haven't done in years - for too long I haven't been able to give much to us three here, and energy I have had has gone to others. I really do need to make so many changes and I could see I was going head first into my usual panic, until I read other peoples suggestions of making change and taking small steps. My situation of not looking after myself hasn't happened overnight so how can I expect to "right" how I feel in a few months or weeks!

Someone mentioned earrings - I have a lovely china dish on my desk, so have put three pairs that I love in there, for daily wear - no point them being shut away in a jewellery box.

On Saturday we are having a Family meal at a local pub to my parents for their birthdays, which are a week apart; all of the "special" things are coming out!!! Some makeup too and for sure my best perfume. I know it will make me feel better and my Mum will be happy to see that I have made an effort.

It is not that I don't want to or cant be bothered, I just don't feel like I care about myself - I know I am loved and that feels enough. Why then do I still have a need to buy nice things or have a nice handbag, boots etc but don't wear them.

I have some skin tags on my neck that I want to get rid of - there have been there for some time but now they REALLY get on my nerves; every time I look in the mirror I see them more. Yesterday I looked around for at home treatments and also local salons that can remove them - that is my next to do.

The rest of this week shall be sorting through the decs - I feel sure there are things that I haven't used in years and can be given to the CS; but at least that shall all be nicely sorted out for Christmas 2017.

I have made some headway for the first week of January 2017 - largely because I had that mind-set to make changes but also to read here that there are others just like me, that daily have to keep trying with their fabberness.

Next thing to do is put new pages in Filofax - off to do that now.

Hugs to you all. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport